Subsequent USER cannot exit via logout or Quit menu buttons

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
terry
Level 1
Level 1

Subsequent USER cannot exit via logout or Quit menu buttons

Post by terry »

Hello,
I have found a problem with the latest update of LMDE6 under VirtualBox.

I have multiple users within LMDE6.
I have always been able to switch users and even shutdown from within all users.
After applying the latest major update to LMDE6 I can only go into the first user and have full functionality.
If I switch from the first user account, the next account is unable to exit and I can only leave via the "machine" reset of the actual Virtual options at the top of the screen.

This is not permission based because if I enter a normal user and switch to the administrator user the administrator is disabled as all second users are.

The "Logout" and "Quit" menu selections only work on the first user.

I have tested this on multiple installs of LMDE6 and it occurs after the latest updates are applied. It does not occur outside of VirtualBox.

Thank you for any help.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Subsequent USER cannot exit via logout or Quit menu buttons

Post by SMG »

terry wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:58 amI have found a problem with the latest update of LMDE6 under VirtualBox.
Welcome to the forum, terry.

The latest update for LMDE 6 was the upgrade to Cinnamon version 6.0.
terry wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:58 amI have multiple users within LMDE6.
I have always been able to switch users and even shutdown from within all users.
After applying the latest major update to LMDE6 I can only go into the first user and have full functionality.
Is that first user the only admin level user? If so, there is a known issue with Cinnamon 6.0 and multiple users as described in logoff dialog problem after mint 21.3 upgrade. It relates to the functionality added to make Wayland possible.
terry wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:58 am It does not occur outside of VirtualBox.
Does this mean you are not seeing the issue on a bare-metal install of LMDE 6 upgraded to Cinnamon 6.0?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
terry
Level 1
Level 1

Post by terry »

SMG wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:42 pm Welcome to the forum, terry.

The latest update for LMDE 6 was the upgrade to Cinnamon version 6.0.
Thank you for your welcome.

That is correct. After applying this update is when this began.
SMG wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:42 pm Is that first user the only admin level user? If so, there is a known issue with Cinnamon 6.0 and multiple users as described in logoff dialog problem after mint 21.3 upgrade. It relates to the functionality added to make Wayland possible.
I found that the buttons are always disabled for the second user after switching user regardless of privileges ie from non-administrator as first user switching to an administrator user.
SMG wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:42 pm Does this mean you are not seeing the issue on a bare-metal install of LMDE 6 upgraded to Cinnamon 6.0?
Major "D'Oh" moment. I was testing everything in VBox and the only non-virtual I had access to was actually running on LMDE5 when I checked again. Sorry about the confusion. This is not a virtual machine issue rather it is exactly as you have noted.

Maybe this post can be retired. The bug has been tagged elsewhere and I will keep an eye out for the fix.

Thank you for pointing me to where others have already noted the problem behaviour.
trinidad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trinidad »

It has been my experience with various (not all) distros running (in qemu/kvm) virtual systems that only the initially installed user can shut the system down or alternatively you have to use forced shutdown from the virtualization software on the host (in my case qemu). This is because the qemu user that is the host can shut down the virtualization software regardless of the user on the qemu disk. However it is generally available and simple enough on the virtualized system to logout of the added user and log back in with the original user and then shut down. Changing that behavior might not immediately allow the force shutdown option while running the new user so don't expect the behavior to change. This is neither a bug nor a software issue. It is odd however that you can't simply logout and/or switch user in virtual-box, or use a force shutdown alternative from the host. Neither case is universally true across the Linux spectrum and I'm not a user or fan in any way of VB. Being unable to logout and/or switch users from a virtual system does not seem likely however. The only thing I think that could cause it is perhaps update was running at the time.

TC

Return to “Virtual Machines”