LM21 installing in legacy mode on older hardware

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

LM21 installing in legacy mode on older hardware

Post by AndyMH »

The way the installer does an "erase and install" in legacy mode has changed with LM21. In the past the installer created a legacy partition table on the drive with a single ext4 partition for /. Now the installer creates a gpt partition table on the drive with a bios_grub partition for the bootloader, an EFI partition (for booting UEFI) and an ext4 partition for /.

If your hardware is old, it may not recognise a bios_grub partition = no boot.

This guide explains how to install mint the "old fashioned" way:
https://foxclone.org/guides.html

Lots of screenshots, newbie friendly!
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LM21 installing in legacy mode on older hardware

Post by gregoryshock »

I have had no success at getting Linux Mint 21.3 to install on my 17 year old DG965OT computer from 2007! I just found this guide and printed it. I'm going to give it a try.
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

The guide worked for me. But I changed one thing. I decided to try adding a swap partition. It seems to be working perfectly.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

See viewtopic.php?p=2421065#p2421065 for a variant of the same principles, with three initial partitions sda1 "/", sda2 "/home/" and swap.

I used "other choices" to install Linux Mint 21.3 Mate over Linux Mint 20.3 Mate, I selected to format sda1 to ext4 as "/", use sda2 as "/home" and don't format it, and use and format swap partition.

There was no need for an initial format with gparted before to launch Mint installation.

Regards,

MN
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

gregoryshock wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:50 pm The guide worked for me. But I changed one thing. I decided to try adding a swap partition. It seems to be working perfectly.
The installer will automatically use any swap partitions it finds. This can be a pain. I have mint on two drives, when I installed it on my backup drive it found and wanted to use the swap partition on my main drive. The only way I found in the installer to stop it was to create a swap partition on my backup drive and tell it to use that. I could have edited it after install, but that was more hassle.

I wrote the guide for the simplest install. In addition to a swap partition (which is no longer needed) I also have a home partition and always do a "something else" install.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Tutorials”