Solved! Easy upgrade possible?

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tosim
Level 2
Level 2

Solved! Easy upgrade possible?

Post by tosim »

Am running LMDE5,32b. Can I possibly upgrade to LMDE6,64b, without having to wipe my disk and start fresh? My machine is 64b, and when I tried to make a clean install,using gparted, and a DVD with LMDE6, it would not even boot the DVD. Never had a problem before-been using Mint for about 14 years, and MATE for the desktop, once it was available. There was no problem when I loaded the DVD with LMDE5 on it. booted right up. I also downloaded, and burned copies of Mint Cinnamon21.3,64b, and Mint-MATE21.3,64b, and they would not boot. I used xfs, and also k3b for each of the distros. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Last edited by tosim on Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Easy upgrade possible?

Post by karlchen »

Instruction on how to upgrade from LMDE 5 to LMDE 6 in-place, i.e. without installing LMDE 6 from scratch:
How to upgrade to LMDE 6
--
Corrected:
The answer given above would be correct, if the goal were upgrading from LMDE 5 32-bit to LMDE 6 32-bit or from LMDE 5 64-bit to LMDE 6 64-bit.
But in this case the intended change is going from LMDE 5 32-bit to LMDE 6 64-bit. This can only be done by installing LMDE 6 64-bit from scratch.
(Thanks for spotting what I had missed, Schultz. See the post right below.)
Last edited by karlchen on Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: "Corrected" added.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Is upgrading from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS possible?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Schultz wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:53 pmIs upgrading from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS possible?
Thank you, Schultz. You caught me. I overlooked the 32-bit to 64-bit pitfall. :oops: :oops: :oops:
In this case, the answer is that an in-place upgrade from LMDE 5 32-bit to LMDE 6 64-bit is not possible.
Switching from LMDE 5 32-bit to LMDE 6 64-bit is like changing to a different operating system. Actually it is an "architecture" change.
LMDE 6 will have to be installed from scratch.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
tosim
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tosim »

Thanks for the answers. It was exactly what I thought. In all the years I've been with Linux, always did a clean install, just kind of getting lazy nowadays. Thank y'all again. We can mark this solved.

Return to “Installation & Boot”