Canon Pixma TR-8550 installation for Linux Mint

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hugodecara
Level 1
Level 1

Canon Pixma TR-8550 installation for Linux Mint

Post by hugodecara »

Hi, brand new to Linux Mint (and LInux in general, Windows user for many years.)
I have a Canon PIXMA TR-8550 printer, running through WiFi.
Downloaded Linux 64-bit driver from Canon website, checked that my printer is one of the ones supported.
Went to Mint to try to install the printer, but I get a huge error message that lines are invalid.
I've tried using the auto-detect in Mint, and the TR series doesn't seem to be listed, even if I select the .tar.gz file that it says you can.
The driver date from the Canon website is Dec. 2017, could that be the issue?
I've done a Google search, as well as a forum search here for my model number and Linux and have not come up with anything more recent.
Could this just be that my printer isn't supported?
Also, I'm running Mint in an Oracle VM Box. Perhaps that's also part of the issue.

Thank you for your help, if you have any ideas how to enable this printer, I'd be grateful.
dave1953
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Canon Pixma TR-8550 installation for Linux Mint

Post by dave1953 »

Surprised that model doesn’t function under cups “driverless printing”. I have a TR-4550 which will work and print without Canon drivers. I personally prefer to use the Canon drivers, but the printer will work without them.
dave1953
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dave1953 »

Oops re-read your post and realised you are running Mint in a VM. Sorry but no experience with this as I have only ever run any and every Linux distribution (or any Windows installation) on hardware. No idea what goes on in a VM, sorry.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

here a user with a new TR-8620 reports Mint recognised the printer and set up it automatically

viewtopic.php?t=409306

these series, TR8500 and TR8600 are usually very similar

If you want to try the Canon driver, it is available from here, https://asia.canon/en/support/0100910801?model=2233C

it comes down as cnijfilter2-5.50-1-deb.tar.gz

and post back to ask for instructions if would like them
hugodecara
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hugodecara »

Hi, I have the TR7550 and am trying to install it into Linux Mint. I'm new to Linux, so do you have installation instructions? I have downwloaded the .tar.gz file but need to know how to continue from here. Many thanks!
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

how do you plan to connect it to your computer?

Return to “Printers & Scanners”