Need suggestions for new M.2 NVME

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

Need suggestions for new M.2 NVME

Post by Dullard du Jour »

I have two Samsung EVO 970 Plus that I am not pleased with, both have errors and are in that group of NVME from Samsung that need a new FW to remedy the error issues. I have tried three different ways to update the sticks but they are not visible to the installer for some reason. Samsung users across have been hating on Samsung NVME's for some time and I understand why.

Anyway, I am looking for suggestions from the user base on what M.2 NVME's they are using and their satisfaction or dissatisfaction with them.
Hawaiihemd
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Need suggestions for new M.2 NVME

Post by Hawaiihemd »

No specific suggestion but I mostly rely in this site: https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Lou77 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:45 am I have tried three different ways to update the sticks but they are not visible to the installer for some reason.
Which 3 ways?

fwupdmgr refresh and then fwupdmgr get-updates should hopefully show the update. If not you can download the ISO from https://semiconductor.samsung.com/consu ... ort/tools/, use an ISO image writer to write it to a USB stuck and then boot from it to apply the update. If that can't see the SSDs and you have an Intel CPU check you have no Intel RST enabled in the BIOS, or RAID.

Shame to throw them away if you can find a fix for the firmware update issue.

I don't think other SSD manufacturers are much better as far updating firmware from Linux. It's hacky whichever brand you pick: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Solid_ ... are_update
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

Hawaiihemd wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:01 am No specific suggestion but I mostly rely in this site: https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/
Nice link, was not aware of this site. I will put it to good use.
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

xenopeek wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:11 am
Lou77 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:45 am I have tried three different ways to update the sticks but they are not visible to the installer for some reason.
Which 3 ways?

fwupdmgr refresh and then fwupdmgr get-updates should hopefully show the update. If not you can download the ISO from https://semiconductor.samsung.com/consu ... ort/tools/, use an ISO image writer to write it to a USB stuck and then boot from it to apply the update. If that can't see the SSDs and you have an Intel CPU check you have no Intel RST enabled in the BIOS, or RAID.

Shame to throw them away if you can find a fix for the firmware update issue.

I don't think other SSD manufacturers are much better as far updating firmware from Linux. It's hacky whichever brand you pick: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Solid_ ... are_update
I am one of the hapless souls that have a Sam 970 Evo Plus in a serial number range that has known problems, and have proven to be difficult to flash. The Samsung site you listed is the correct site with .iso images, however, there have been issues with the .iso and Samsung's use of the ubootin utility. As well, issues with their Magician windows software, mostly though due to Windows itself.

I followed the advice from this link Matt Edwards and used Ubuntu live, still no joy. The method that Matt Edwards uses works great but my two SSD refuse to be seen by the burner. I have not found anything in the BIOS of the motherboard that would prevent flashing. Such as it is.

I am not beat up about this as I have written the sticks off, and have backups of important data. I have found as well that find a nvme that is Linux supported is a bit tough. I appreciate the advice.
LPH_[retired]
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LPH_[retired] »

I have successfully updated Samsung NVME firmware, I posted a solution earlier that has worked form me.

Previously posted =====================

If you happen to have a Samsung SSD/NVME drive there is a method that works on Linux
I have a Samsung 780 EVO that I updated firmware on successfully.
The instructions at this link https://mattedwards.org/2023/04/upgradi ... ing-linux/ worked

regards

====================================

I'm still skeptical about the reliability of the drive so I'm using it as a data transfer device. I replaced the drive with a WD Black 2t. No opinion one way or the other. All manufacturers encounter quality control problems, just seems like Samsung feels addressing the issue is beneath them.

Regards
Alcohol is gods apology for making us self aware.
James May
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

I used to be a Samsung SSD fan girl (but not for their printers, kitchen appliances, TVs, etc.) but Samsung has plummeted in all product and customer service/tech help quality and is now on my Specialized High Intensity Training list of products not to buy.

So far, I've been having good luck with Sabrent's higher end NVMe SSDs. I've heard good things about the Crucial MX500s. I don't trust WD.
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

Yes, I have lost faith in Samsung as well. I have been on the Sabrent site the last few days looking at their gear, but I have found nowhere any FW update info, so Sabrent is off the list. I have a good amount of SanDisk microSDX memory cards, and other external memory from them. SanDisk is OK, but they were a true pain in the arse when it came to registering the memory. I had to jump through hoops to register the memory I bought from their store.

SanDisk got totally screwed up when they were bought by Western Digital. They had sales, support, and registry screwed up between the two company sites, probably the reason they had a bad hack last year. I think now they are on one site only, I will have to check.

I will keep looking, and eventually I will come back where I started from. :lol:
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Lou77 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:41 am ...SanDisk got totally screwed up when they were bought by Western Digital. They had sales, support, and registry screwed up between the two company sites, probably the reason they had a bad hack last year...
SanDisk was "screwed up" before WD bought them. That was when WD started going downhill.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!

Return to “Storage”