NVIDIA drivers in a dual GPU laptop LMDE 6

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nikobaza
Level 1
Level 1

NVIDIA drivers in a dual GPU laptop LMDE 6

Post by nikobaza »

I tried researching all what I could to solve my problem but I couldn't find the solution.

I've been using Linux Mint for almost a year without any issues but I wanted to give LMDE a try, to try to step away from Ubuntu. Everything was going fine until I tried to use my nVidia GPU. My laptop has a AMD cpu with integrated graphics and a nVIdia GTX 1650ti, and I tried to install the nVidia drivers just by the apt installer and downloading them from the nvidia website and I haven't get them to work.

nvidia detect outputs this even after installing the nvidia 535.x drivers:

Code: Select all

Detected NVIDIA GPUs:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation TU117M [GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Mobile] [10de:1f95] (rev a1)

Checking card:  NVIDIA Corporation TU117M [GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Mobile] (rev a1)
Your card is supported by all driver versions.
Your card is also supported by the Tesla drivers series.
Your card is also supported by the Tesla 470 drivers series.
It is recommended to install the
    nvidia-driver
package.
And another thing is that after installing the drivers, the "use dedicated GPU for this program" button in the home menu disappeared. I have tried to run different games and all of them use the AMD integrated graphics.

What am I doing wrong?
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Re: NVIDIA drivers in a dual GPU laptop LMDE 6

Post by MiZoG »

Hey, nikobaza, and welcome to Mint forums
"step away from Ubuntu"... When did main edition of Mint, based on Ubuntu LTS, wrong you?
They told you "bad things" about mama canonical and you left the safety and coziness of main edition? [Don't answer. It is meant as a joke]
Well, you learn the hard way why Mint is still based on Ubuntu. :lol:

Back to your problem, so you installed proprietary nvidia driver but it is not loading?
We will certainly need your full system specs
System reports --> System information --> Press the actual "Copy" button on the bottom right --> Paste here into a new post or edit your original one.
I'm not sure the specific Mint nvidia-prime applet is available on LMDE but the functionality (of switching GPUs) is provided by the nvidia driver.
So basically we have to be sure nvidia driver is installed and running.

Since you are stepping into new Debian grounds...
jwiz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jwiz »

Most probabbly because 'xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu' lib was/is already loaded at boot for your AMD iGPU.
To use the nvidia card (driver) on your laptop you will most certainly have to disable (or uninstall?) that lib.
I don't know if there is a way to dual-use use and easily switch between the AMD iGPU and the dedicated Nvidia gfx card.
Could be that Nvidia Optimus supplies that kind of funtionality.
nikobaza
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nikobaza »

MiZoG wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:50 pm Well, you learn the hard way why Mint is still based on Ubuntu. :lol:
I did learn the hard way :lol: after seeing I would need to setup more stuff to get it to work I decided to come back to the mainline Linux Mint Cinnamon. Maybe I'll try LMDE again in the future when I have a desktop PC with only one graphic card.

Thank you anyways!
jfabernathy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jfabernathy »

I just installed LMDE 6 on my Dell XPS 15 9500 which is based on 10th Gen Intel Core i7 but has a NVIDIA TU117M [GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Mobile] also.

I found on a Debian Wiki about Nvidia that I could just install "nvidia-driver".

After rebooting I now have the ability to right-click on a program in the Menu and click "Run with dedicated GPU" and it will launch with the Nvidia 525 driver. Normal left-clicking runs it with the Intel i915 UHD GFX driver.
cpedretti
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cpedretti »

The debian wiki page about nvidia drivers:

=> https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsD ... 5.105.17-1

And a look here can be usefull.
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - 32GB DDR4 RGB White - RTX4060TI O8GB White- SSD NVME Crucial P5 500GB - Mobo Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550 V2 - PSU Corsair RM750 White - Case Corsair 5000D Airflow White 7 fans AF120 ARGB - AIO Corsair H100I Cappelix 240 White
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

I was running LMDE5 for the past several years on my 10-year old Sony Vaio with the Nvidia GeForce 410M (GF119) discreet video card. Smooth sailing.
2 weeks ago I upgraded to LMDE6 & no Nvidia effects whatsoever, as the pc was using the default LMDE6 video drivers.
I got tired of messin' around with it, so I installed LM21.2 Cinnamon & on reboot, Nvidia drivers are up & running.
I loved LMDE5, but I'll stick with LM21.2 on that old Sony.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
AndreyBear
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AndreyBear »

Joe2Shoe wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:41 pm I was running LMDE5 for the past several years on my 10-year old Sony Vaio with the Nvidia GeForce 410M (GF119) discreet video card. Smooth sailing.
2 weeks ago I upgraded to LMDE6 & no Nvidia effects whatsoever, as the pc was using the default LMDE6 video drivers.
I got tired of messin' around with it, so I installed LM21.2 Cinnamon & on reboot, Nvidia drivers are up & running.
I loved LMDE5, but I'll stick with LM21.2 on that old Sony.
Messy thing. As Im struggling to know Linux, I read a lot of forums and articles and watch videos... You need to have old Nvidia driver in your system to make it work in LMDE 6. As new one simply doesnt support old GPU. And people, who did this, reported that it works good.

Return to “Hardware Support”