Software security (question about Ubuntu Pro)

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

Software security (question about Ubuntu Pro)

Post by feffer »

I've been running various linux distros for over 20 years, but I've pretty much settled on debian based ones...and of these Linux Mint and LMDE are my main ones, but I also use Ubuntu mainly to keep up with it since Mint is based on Ubuntu. When Ubuntu diverged from the debian base, the Mint developers started LMDE (Linus Mint Debian Edition) and I began multi-booting these three.
I notice now when updating Ubuntu that it asks about using "Ubuntu-Pro" for enhanced "software security" and only installs basic updates if I don't. I started to go thru their "Learn more" links but could not really see a clear explanation. My guess is that they are trying to generate more income from enterprise users and that it is more or less free to personal users...but it wasn't really clear, so I didn't accept it. Anyone here know what's going on and will this affect Mint?
Last edited by SMG on Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Other Topics to Chat about Linux. Added "(question about Ubuntu Pro)" to the title.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Software security

Post by all41 »

feffer wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:26 pm I've been running various linux distros for over 20 years, but I've pretty much settled on debian based ones...and of these Linux Mint and LMDE are my main ones, but I also use Ubuntu mainly to keep up with it since Mint is based on Ubuntu. When Ubuntu diverged from the debian base, the Mint developers started LMDE (Linus Mint Debian Edition) and I began multi-booting these three.
I notice now when updating Ubuntu that it asks about using "Ubuntu-Pro" for enhanced "software security" and only installs basic updates if I don't. I started to go thru their "Learn more" links but could not really see a clear explanation. My guess is that they are trying to generate more income from enterprise users and that it is more or less free to personal users...but it wasn't really clear, so I didn't accept it. Anyone here know what's going on and will this affect Mint?
No answer friend, but not sure how this relates to Mint
It's a good read-about though
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Software security (question about Ubuntu Pro)

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

You can read this tutorial, viewtopic.php?f=42&t=391484, or its updated version in hits guide, viewtopic.php?t=397740.

Regards,

MN

Return to “Chat about Linux”