Can Someone Pay Attention to Network Issues Reported on Github?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
maciekskontakt
Level 1
Level 1

Can Someone Pay Attention to Network Issues Reported on Github?

Post by maciekskontakt »

Is Mint team giving guide there to report issues and requests pointing to GitHub and then not watching them or answering them?

https://github.com/linuxmint/doc-troubl ... ide/issues

Yes there are two issues reported with no answer and I have far more to report as I cannot work with workarounds and I need permanent fix of potential bugs. After all someone who installed LTS version should be supported until 2025 (or it was not true what was said by mint team when version was downloaded few years ago).

In general Mint as as buggy as it gets when it comes to multiple NIC's or multiple sound cards (the same type) on one CPU box as it cannot even enumerate them properly and then confuses them when activating them. But that is another story. Let's stick to networkin and officially reported issues on GitHub. I am not looking for another workaround, but for fix.

Sincerely,
Maciek Samsel
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Can Someone Pay Attention to Network Issues Reported on Github?

Post by xenopeek »

That project is for the troubleshooting guide, not for help with Linux Mint problems. I've closed both issues. You can use the forums, IRC, Discord or Reddit for support. You can find them all under Links on the main website.

As for bugs: Linux Mint doesn't develop the networking components so a Linux Mint project would be the wrong place to report bugs with them. As is outlined in the troubleshooting guide.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Having two issues unanswered on something like that in Linux (not just Mint) should come as no surprise. You don't link them but it's common. SOmetimes it's Linux novices expecting forum type support, which isn't going to happen. They're populated by devs and aren't interested in dealing with users who don't know how to write proper bug reports and provide proper info.

Also they want to be able to reproduce the problem, and that's often not so easy in Linux. You have to have someone there with the same hardware etc. It's not like they have batteries of testers for all the obscure hardware out there.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Mint team is not responsible for the state of kernel drivers.
So your "bug report" has been simply misplaced. It is an "upstream" affair.
But in the hypothetical scenario that MInt devs were in charge of their development or you had found a regression in parts of Linux Mint controlled indeed by Mint team, you got to realize devs need not "anger" but facts. Open source projects are more or less community projects, you don't "demand" fixes, devs and users help each other. You are not a customer with a product licence entitled to support. From a more technical standpoint, generally speaking without 1. full system specs 2. related syslogs nobody can take seriously a "bug report".
a. Post the output of inxi -Fxxxrz or at least the output of inxi -Nna.
b. In the old days, I recall printout of ifconfig was routinely needed in troubleshooting ethernet connections. Not sure if it is still that useful.
c. You should try to isolate related messages in system logs with the dmesg and grep commands, example dmesg | grep -i "network" or dmesg | grep -i <nameofyourethernetadapter> or dmesg | grep -i <nameofyouradapter'sdriver>
d. You could try to reproduce the "bug" and post all error messages from the beginning of your current session with journalctl -p 3 -xb | nc termbin.com 9999 and post the termbin link because log could be quite long.
Other users more knowledgable than me could offer better tips.
Anyway, It is important for you to find any relevant information prior to "filing" any bug report. Especially with old hardware it is very likely someone else might have already done it in case of a known regression.
And you got to be accurate. You write in your misplaced bug report that resuming ethernet connection from sleep worked previously on Mint 20.3 with kernel 5.2.7, while AFAIK MInt 20.3 shipped kernel 5.4.x right from the beginning.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

MiZoG wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:44 pm .... You are not a customer with a product licence entitled to support.....
Bingo! That's really the gist of it, isn't it? No one, from other forum users here to kernel devs, in Linux is under any obligation to you whatsoever. Unfortunately many Linux newbies come expecting a WIndows style support site, where they have paid staff who are obligated to answer questions. Many seem to end up using Mint and cant understand why they can't get answers. I've been seeing it here for years.

As indicated above if you want to communicate with Linux kernel devs you have to be able to speak their language.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Non-technical Questions”