All Windows Managers Flawed - Solutions to any combination are welcome!

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: All Windows Managers Flawed - Solutions to any combination are welcome!

Post by Moem »

rossdv8 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:11 pm Would I recommend Compiz for everyone for every porpoise? Nope!
Well, that makes sense... using a keyboard with those flippers can't be easy! :P

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
scjet45
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scjet45 »

Let's be clear now:
"A Desktop Environment (DE) includes a Window Manager but builds upon it. The Desktop Environment typically is a far more fully integrated system than just a Window Manager."
So, Openbox, for example is just a WM, are you saying ALL WM's are flawed like Openbox, ...?

I can count on both hands why Cinnamon (a DE) offers some nice little advantages for using it as a fully-fleshed-out Desktop/Laptop OS, over MATE (another DE). -and I'm not even a Cinnamon user.
Linux Mint MATE has still not dealt with these multiple copy-icons on my systray that appear randomly every time I log in.? and that's been going on for years now, -and that's just for starters.
Cinnamon is, obviously, Linux Mint's flagship Desktop manager (DE), whereas MATE, and even XFCE will always take a backseat.
I remember when Linux Mint brought out their KDE (DE) distro's, a few years back, they were great, so what happened to that politically I dunno. -maybe Kubuntu just needed Mint's help for awhile...?

If you need Wayland/Wayfire future-wise then stick with Cinnamon, it's gonna be there eventually, but Compiz, lol, is one and done these days.
-but then again, with Linux (opensource ...), who knows the real future eh.? we might even end up with a Compizland DM.?
MATE 21.3 | Lenovo Legion 5 17ACH6
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

rossdv8 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:11 pm Would I install it on Mint Cinnamon? Noooo, not me personally - I woud NOT recommend that. I suggest Compiz shoudl be relegated to distros running Xfce, unless you know exactly how to easily repair your Linux.
"Maybe" you could install compiz on Cinnamon, butt Cinnamon can not use it. It is tied to Muffin WM.
Unfortunately not - Cinnamon is tied to Muffin as WM (it's Muffin by the way a fork of Mutter).
from here, viewtopic.php?p=1596724#p1596724

I too have used Compiz for a decade, and have not had a single problem. (On Mate DE)
When you launch CCSM you get a warning that states;
"This tool allows you to deeply configure Compiz's settings. Some options may be incompatible with each other, unless used with care it is possible be left with an unusable Desktop"
In other words do NOT enable every plugin, and also there is the option to take a backup of current settings. If one has NO backup, they deserve NO pity.

"People" in general ignore warnings...right ? Then go ahead and enable everything in Compiz, and then call it buggy. Hardly fair, IMO.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

scjet45 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:11 pm I can count on both hands why Cinnamon (a DE) offers some nice little advantages for using it as a fully-fleshed-out Desktop/Laptop OS, over MATE (another DE). -and I'm not even a Cinnamon user.
Linux Mint MATE has still not dealt with these multiple copy-icons on my systray that appear randomly every time I log in.? and that's been going on for years now, -and that's just for starters.
Cinnamon is, obviously, Linux Mint's flagship Desktop manager (DE), whereas MATE, and even XFCE will always take a backseat.
The systray icon duplication is caused by Mint introduced their own 2nd generation of systray namely "xapp status applet". I think the responsibility is on Mint, not MATE for the duplication bug. Nudge Mint devs for that, don't blame MATE devs.
scjet45 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:11 pm If you need Wayland/Wayfire future-wise then stick with Cinnamon, it's gonna be there eventually, but Compiz, lol, is one and done these days.
-but then again, with Linux (opensource ...), who knows the real future eh.? we might even end up with a Compizland DM.?
So far from its look Cinnamon will be sticking with Muffin a fork of Gnome compositor and be tightly coupled. If one want to enjoy Wayfire, the chance is on MATE and Xfce. They are implementing Wayland support too and their WM liberty are unlikely to be removed in any near future after they get Wayland working.
scjet45
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scjet45 »

billyswong wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:17 am The systray icon duplication is caused by Mint introduced their own 2nd generation of systray namely "xapp status applet". I think the responsibility is on Mint, not MATE for the duplication bug. Nudge Mint devs for that, don't blame MATE devs.

So far from its look Cinnamon will be sticking with Muffin a fork of Gnome compositor and be tightly coupled. If one want to enjoy Wayfire, the chance is on MATE and Xfce. They are implementing Wayland support too and their WM liberty are unlikely to be removed in any near future after they get Wayland working.
um, I never said that I blamed MATE devs, in fact, I've known for a long time now that MATE on many other distro's like Arch. Ubuntu, ..., do not have these systray icon duplication issues, and yes, some of us here have been giving Mint a "nudge" for a while now.
Anyway, it's interesting that you mentioned Wayland/Wayfire development on MATE and Xfce, that's worth keeping an eye on.
MATE 21.3 | Lenovo Legion 5 17ACH6
Neophyte
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Neophyte »

Works fine for me as long as I shutdown or reboot (the OS) at least once every 72 hours or so.
Patience is a virtue, but there are no saints left in this world.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

scjet45 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:11 pm I remember when Linux Mint brought out their KDE (DE) distro's, a few years back, they were great, so what happened to that politically I dunno. -maybe Kubuntu just needed Mint's help for awhile...?
I seem to remember the very first Mint I had was running KDE. I can;t remember, but I think the other DEs followed in short order after that. That's got to be around 20 years ago! Maybe my memory is off? Clem would know . .

I do recall an announcement when Clem decided to drop the KDE release from teh lineup and I'm pretty sure it went along the lines of:
The Kubuntu team are building more or less exaclty what we are building into Mint KDE.
We have the opportuinity to put more of our limited resources into perfecting Cinnamon, rather than duplicating work done by Kubuntu, just so as to release an almost identical Desktop for Mint.

It was not 'those exact words' but it was something along those lines.

Anyway at the moment it is a few mouse clicks to install and run a complete KDE desktop seamlessly in Mint 21.3 for those few who prefer KDE but also 'prefer' the rest of the great things built into Mint :D
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
Quincunx55555
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Quincunx55555 »

Schultz wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:42 pm If switching to a different desktop fixes the problem, let us know back here. I'm curious. :) I still doubt that Mate itself is the problem.
I switched to Cinnamon and the problems none of the problems I described existed. The only issue I found with Cinnamon is that the font of the lower panel is bold (for the application buttons and clock), and there doesn't seem to be a way to change it., and the application buttons aren't very wide, even though a majority of the power panel, so all the text is truncated, no matter how short it is.

After seeing the posts in this thread, it's obvious to me that MATE and Mint don't mix anymore. Since the lower panel of Cinnamon hurts my eyes, I'm using MX Linux (and maybe play with others) until a solution to that is found.
Quincunx55555
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Quincunx55555 »

scjet45 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:11 pm Let's be clear now:
So, Openbox, for example is just a WM, are you saying ALL WM's are flawed like Openbox, ...?
If you read my entire post, and not focused on the headline, you would know the answer to your question.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Quincunx55555 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:49 pm After seeing the posts in this thread, it's obvious to me that MATE and Mint don't mix anymore. Since the lower panel of Cinnamon hurts my eyes, I'm using MX Linux (and maybe play with others) until a solution to that is found.
I can't really comment on your comment about Mate and Mint no longer mixing, but I can tell you Mate works well coupled with Devuan (at least on my system).

Return to “MATE”