Is it possible to squeeze just a little bit more custom font into calendar edit. [SOLVED]

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Is it possible to squeeze just a little bit more custom font into calendar edit. [SOLVED]

Post by Logansfury »

Hello Everyone,

I am set up with a set of conky scripts to display either a current month, or a 3 month previous/current/next month calendar set.

I understand that the numerals must be in a specific font type in which every number takes up the same amount of screen space. Sloppier fonts, like the Neon 80s that I am using as a default system font, has numbers of various outline widths and cannot form clean columns of day of the week numbers underneath the day of the week names.

So on my current calendar, I do have Neon 80s displaying the month and year, but the Monaco font is used for day of the week names and day of the week numbers.

I want to experiment and see if I can make the days of the week abbreviations display in Neon 80s while keeping the numbers themselves in Monaco.

Can anyone take a look at these two scripts and determine if separating the day of the week and number of the day displays into two fonts is possible?

Thanks for reading!

Logan

conky.conf:

Code: Select all

-- needs package cal (provided by ncal) - sudo apt install ncal
conky.config = {
	own_window = true,
	own_window_type = 'normal',
	own_window_transparent = true,
	own_window_argb_visual = true,
    own_window_hints = 'skip_taskbar,skip_pager,undecorated,below',
	own_window_class = 'Conky',
	own_window_argb_visual = true,
	background = true,
	update_interval = 60,
	double_buffer = true,
	alignment = 'top_left',
	gap_x = 180,-- left | right
	gap_y = -20,-- up | down
    minimum_width = 172, minimum_height = 174,
    maximum_width = 172,
	use_xft = true,
	draw_outline = false,
	draw_shades = true,	
	font = 'Monaco:size=9',
	default_color = 'e82127',
};
conky.text = [[
${voffset 31}${execpi 60 ./currentmonth.sh}
# ${alignc}${voffset 3}${color white}${font Monaco:bold:size=10}${time %A %B %e, %Y}${font}${color}
]];
currentmonth.sh:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
YEAR=`date +%_Y`;TDY=`date +%_d`;MTH=`date +%_B`; cal | sed s/"\([^a-zA-Z]\)$MTH"'\b'/'${color white}${font Neon 80s:bold:size=11} '"    $MTH"'${color}'/ | sed s/"\([^0-9]\)$YEAR"'\b'/'${color white}'" $YEAR"'${color white}${font}'/ | sed s/"\([^0-9]\)$TDY"'\b'/'${color red}'" $TDY"'${color white}'/ | sed s/^/'${alignc}'/
Last edited by Logansfury on Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image <-- Cick for sudo inxi --usb -Fxxxnmprz output, updated hourly!
Koentje
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Is it possible to squeeze just a little bit more custom font into calendar edit.

Post by Koentje »

The problem is if you make the day names in Neon80s they are also out of line! Not only the numbers, but also the characters are not a mono font type! You need to search for a mono spaced font that looks like neon80s!
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Is it possible to squeeze just a little bit more custom font into calendar edit.

Post by Logansfury »

Koentje wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:03 pm The problem is if you make the day names in Neon80s they are also out of line! Not only the numbers, but also the characters are not a mono font type! You need to search for a mono spaced font that looks like neon80s!
I did that :(

I found a site with 137 free mono-spaced fonts but only one looked remotely close to Neon80s and when I edited it into the calendar files it turned out to not be monospace.

On a happy note, my crontab fired off at 6pm on the dot and played the mp3/generated the biohazzard image to remind me to set trash out for the garbage truck in the morning.

This seems kinda trivial use for the powerhouse Linux is. I feel like I should be using it to overthrow some random small south-american government.

Regarding the conky script, I have a post up asking about focusing the picture above any other open windows. Any ideas regarding that?
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Logansfury »

Koentje wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:03 pm The problem is if you make the day names in Neon80s they are also out of line! Not only the numbers, but also the characters are not a mono font type! You need to search for a mono spaced font that looks like neon80s!
Anyhow it's far more important for me to have proper formatting and good clean vertical column layouts. If changing day of the week names will upset the conformity of the numerals beneath I don't want to do it. I'll close this thread :)
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Is it possible to squeeze just a little bit more custom font into calendar edit. [SOLVED]

Post by zcot »

You should just mod the neon font and add the mono option. :P
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Is it possible to squeeze just a little bit more custom font into calendar edit. [SOLVED]

Post by Logansfury »

zcot wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:47 pm You should just mod the neon font and add the mono option. :P
Is that easily done? I'm happy to try it! Is it just an edit of a single line of code or more extensive than that?
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

Logansfury wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:48 pm
zcot wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:47 pm You should just mod the neon font and add the mono option. :P
Is that easily done? I'm happy to try it! Is it just an edit of a single line of code or more extensive than that?
It's easily done, it's more extensive than a single edit.
Koentje
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Koentje »

Didn't knew that was even possible?
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Logansfury »

zcot wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:00 pm It's easily done, it's more extensive than a single edit.
I just surfed to: https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com ... monospaced

Looks like it is a timely process without guaranteed results >.<

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”