Can't log into a Cinnamon Wayland session - dual GPU situation

Questions about the experimental Wayland support on Linux Mint Cinnamon
Forum rules
Include your system information for help with troubleshooting. Report reproducible issues related to Wayland, whether for Cinnamon, an XApp, a Mint tool or any Linux Mint maintained software on the dedicated issue tracker. Topics in this forum are automatically closed after 6 months.
Post Reply
User avatar
draconicrose
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:53 pm
Location: Portugal
Contact:

Can't log into a Cinnamon Wayland session - dual GPU situation

Post by draconicrose »

I'm trying to see how the new Wayland experimental session works with my setup, but when I go into the login screen and change the session to Cinnamon on Wayland all I get is the Asus splashscreen and nothing else. No errors, no progression, no changes in fan speeds indicating that it's doing anything special. I can sometimes go into TTY but not always.

Here is my system info:

Code: Select all

System:
  Kernel: 5.19.0-17.2-liquorix-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.3.0
    Desktop: Cinnamon 6.0.4 tk: GTK 3.24.33 wm: muffin vt: 7 dm: LightDM 1.30.0
    Distro: Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy
Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: PRIME B250M-K v: Rev X.0x serial: <superuser required>
    UEFI: American Megatrends v: 1206 date: 10/22/2019
CPU:
  Info: quad core model: Intel Core i5-7500 bits: 64 type: MCP smt: <unsupported> arch: Kaby Lake
    rev: 9 cache: L1: 256 KiB L2: 1024 KiB L3: 6 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 2336 high: 3631 min/max: 800/3401 boost: enabled cores: 1: 2275 2: 3631
    3: 1757 4: 1683 bogomips: 27199
  Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 630 vendor: ASUSTeK driver: i915 v: kernel ports: active: DP-1
    empty: HDMI-A-1 bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:5912 class-ID: 0380
  Device-2: NVIDIA TU116 [GeForce GTX 1660] vendor: ZOTAC driver: nvidia v: 545.29.06 pcie:
    speed: 8 GT/s lanes: 1 ports: active: none off: DP-2 empty: DP-3,DP-4,HDMI-A-2 bus-ID: 01:00.0
    chip-ID: 10de:2184 class-ID: 0300
  Device-3: Logitech Webcam C310 type: USB driver: uvcvideo bus-ID: 1-8:5 chip-ID: 046d:081b
    class-ID: 0102 serial: <filter>
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.4 driver: X: loaded: modesetting,nvidia
    unloaded: fbdev,nouveau,vesa gpu: i915 display-ID: :0 screens: 1
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 3840x1440 s-dpi: 108 s-size: 903x332mm (35.6x13.1") s-diag: 962mm (37.9")
  Monitor-1: DP-0 pos: primary,top-right res: 2560x1440 hz: 144 dpi: 93
    size: 697x392mm (27.4x15.4") diag: 800mm (31.5")
  Monitor-2: DP-1-1 pos: bottom-l res: 1280x1024 hz: 75 dpi: 203 size: 160x90mm (6.3x3.5")
    diag: 184mm (7.2")
  OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 545.29.06
    direct render: Yes
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 200 Series PCH HD Audio vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
    bus-ID: 00:1f.3 chip-ID: 8086:a2f0 class-ID: 0403
  Device-2: NVIDIA TU116 High Definition Audio vendor: ZOTAC driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
    pcie: speed: 8 GT/s lanes: 1 bus-ID: 01:00.1 chip-ID: 10de:1aeb class-ID: 0403
  Device-3: SteelSeries ApS Arctis 7 type: USB driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid
    bus-ID: 1-7:4 chip-ID: 1038:12ad class-ID: 0300
  Device-4: Logitech Webcam C310 type: USB driver: uvcvideo bus-ID: 1-8:5 chip-ID: 046d:081b
    class-ID: 0102 serial: <filter>
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.19.0-17.2-liquorix-amd64 running: yes
  Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.99.1 running: yes
  Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.48 running: yes
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: ASUSTeK PRIME B450M-A
    driver: r8169 v: kernel pcie: speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 port: d000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
    chip-ID: 10ec:8168 class-ID: 0200
  IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 1.14 TiB used: 481.03 GiB (41.3%)
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Crucial model: CT1000MX500SSD1 size: 931.51 GiB speed: 6.0 Gb/s
    type: SSD serial: <filter> rev: 043 scheme: GPT
  ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Samsung model: SSD 850 EVO 250GB size: 232.89 GiB speed: 6.0 Gb/s
    type: SSD serial: <filter> rev: 1B6Q scheme: GPT
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 227.67 GiB used: 49.64 GiB (21.8%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb2
  ID-2: /boot/efi size: 522.5 MiB used: 7.9 MiB (1.5%) fs: vfat dev: /dev/sdb1
  ID-3: /home size: 915.82 GiB used: 431.38 GiB (47.1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
Swap:
  ID-1: swap-1 type: file size: 2 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) priority: -2 file: /swapfile
USB:
  Hub-1: 1-0:1 info: Hi-speed hub with single TT ports: 12 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s
    chip-ID: 1d6b:0002 class-ID: 0900
  Device-1: 1-3:2 info: Razer USA RZ01-0316 Gaming Mouse [Basilisk V2] type: Mouse,Keyboard
    driver: razermouse,usbhid interfaces: 3 rev: 2.0 speed: 12 Mb/s power: 100mA chip-ID: 1532:0085
    class-ID: 0301
  Device-2: 1-4:3 info: Ducky One2 Mini RGB type: Keyboard,Mouse,HID driver: hid-generic,usbhid
    interfaces: 4 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s power: 100mA chip-ID: 3233:6301 class-ID: 0300
    serial: <filter>
  Device-3: 1-7:4 info: SteelSeries ApS Arctis 7 type: Audio,HID
    driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid interfaces: 6 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s power: 100mA
    chip-ID: 1038:12ad class-ID: 0300
  Device-4: 1-8:5 info: Logitech Webcam C310 type: Video,Audio driver: uvcvideo interfaces: 4
    rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s power: 500mA chip-ID: 046d:081b class-ID: 0102 serial: <filter>
  Hub-2: 2-0:1 info: Super-speed hub ports: 6 rev: 3.0 speed: 5 Gb/s chip-ID: 1d6b:0003
    class-ID: 0900
  Hub-3: 3-0:1 info: Hi-speed hub with single TT ports: 2 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s
    chip-ID: 1d6b:0002 class-ID: 0900
  Hub-4: 4-0:1 info: Super-speed hub ports: 4 rev: 3.1 speed: 10 Gb/s chip-ID: 1d6b:0003
    class-ID: 0900
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8 C mobo: 27.8 C gpu: nvidia temp: 45 C
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: nvidia fan: 36%
Repos:
  Packages: 3428 apt: 3404 flatpak: 24
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list
    1: deb https: //dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ jammy main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/appimagelauncher-team-stable-focal.list
    1: deb http: //ppa.launchpad.net/appimagelauncher-team/stable/ubuntu jammy main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/damentz-liquorix-focal.list
    1: deb http: //ppa.launchpad.net/damentz/liquorix/ubuntu jammy main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/graphics-drivers-ppa-jammy.list
    1: deb http: //ppa.launchpad.net/graphics-drivers/ppa/ubuntu jammy main
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/hardware:razer.list
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/helkaluin-webp-pixbuf-loader-focal.list
    1: deb http: //ppa.launchpad.net/helkaluin/webp-pixbuf-loader/ubuntu jammy main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/libreoffice-ppa-focal.list
    1: deb http: //ppa.launchpad.net/libreoffice/ppa/ubuntu jammy main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/nodesource.list
    1: deb [signed-by=/etc/apt/keyrings/nodesource.gpg] https: //deb.nodesource.com/node_20.x nodistro main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/obsproject-obs-studio-jammy.list
    1: deb [signed-by=/etc/apt/keyrings/obsproject-obs-studio-jammy.gpg] https: //ppa.launchpadcontent.net/obsproject/obs-studio/ubuntu jammy main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
    1: deb http: //packages.linuxmint.com virginia main upstream import backport
    2: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy main restricted universe multiverse
    3: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates main restricted universe multiverse
    4: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-backports main restricted universe multiverse
    5: deb http: //security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jammy-security main restricted universe multiverse
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openrazer-stable-focal.list
    1: deb http: //ppa.launchpad.net/openrazer/stable/ubuntu jammy main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/polychromatic-stable-focal.list
    1: deb http: //ppa.launchpad.net/polychromatic/stable/ubuntu jammy main
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/steam-beta.list
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/steam-stable.list
    1: deb [arch=amd64,i386 signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/steam.gpg] https: //repo.steampowered.com/steam/ stable steam
    2: deb-src [arch=amd64,i386 signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/steam.gpg] https: //repo.steampowered.com/steam/ stable steam
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/teams.list
    1: deb [arch=amd64] https: //packages.microsoft.com/repos/ms-teams stable main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vscode.list
    1: deb [arch=amd64,arm64,armhf] http: //packages.microsoft.com/repos/code stable main
Info:
  Processes: 287 Uptime: 3h 57m wakeups: 0 Memory: 15.51 GiB used: 6.25 GiB (40.3%) Init: systemd
  v: 249 runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 11.4.0 alt: 11/12/9 Client: Cinnamon v: 6.0.4 inxi: 3.3.13
I have set nvidia-drm.modeset=1 in grub, as looking up Wayland on NVidia turned up that particular configuration. I've also created a new, clean user, to make sure my specific configurations weren't the issue.

This system uses both the iGPU and dGPU, with one monitor on the iGPU and the other on the dGPU. I've tried disabling the dGPU and using only the iGPU but that doesn't seem to work. I haven't tried the noveau drivers because that would be rather pointless for my setup.

I'd like to note I've tried this setup with Debian 12, Gnome on Wayland, and it worked, so I don't think it is a Wayland specific issue. My question here isn't exactly how to get it to work. I would like to know if I missed anything obvious that I might not have thought to try and if not what kind of information I should gather before I make a bug report.
Last edited by SMG on Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added "- dual GPU situation" to the title.
Draconicrose Gaming - Here There Be Dragons
YouTube * More
User avatar
SMG
Level 25
Level 25
Posts: 32414
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:15 pm
Location: USA

Re: Can't log into a Cinnamon Wayland session

Post by SMG »

draconicrose wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:47 pm I'm trying to see how the new Wayland experimental session works with my setup, but when I go into the login screen and change the session to Cinnamon on Wayland all I get is the Asus splashscreen and nothing else. No errors, no progression, no changes in fan speeds indicating that it's doing anything special. I can sometimes go into TTY but not always.
The liquorix kernel is a specialized kernel and not a supported one in Linux Mint. Perhaps that is a factor.

Did you normally see the ASUS splashscreen after you get the login screen when you previously booted into X11 (in prior versions of Linux Mint)? That seems odd and almost as if the computer is rebooting.
draconicrose wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:47 pmI've tried disabling the dGPU and using only the iGPU but that doesn't seem to work.
Do you have the ability to try the reverse? Only use Nvidia?
draconicrose wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:47 pmI'd like to note I've tried this setup with Debian 12, Gnome on Wayland, and it worked, so I don't think it is a Wayland specific issue.
Wayland is not software. It is a protocol and people must write software to meet its specs. That means not everyone's Wayland software will be the same. That's not to say you have not come across a bug; it's just to indicate Wayland is not the same for every desktop environment.

Rebooting is currently needed to remove all Wayland variables and get you back into an X11 session. You will want to make sure you are doing that to keep your testing situations consistent.

I do not know exactly how a dual-gpu computer is supposed to work in Wayland. Thanks for experimenting and helping us gather data.
Image
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
User avatar
SMG
Level 25
Level 25
Posts: 32414
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:15 pm
Location: USA

Re: Can't log into a Cinnamon Wayland session

Post by SMG »

draconicrose wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:47 pmI have set nvidia-drm.modeset=1 in grub...
Did you try Wayland without that (prior to adding it) and it failed? I ask because someone else with an Nvidia GPU didn't mention using it and they were able to get graphics. However, they have had a problem with any Nvidia driver newer than the 470 for which their monitor's EDID is not being picked up properly so their default is getting a low resolution screen. That is what they received when logging into Wayland. I don't know if that might be a clue as to what is happening with Nvidia graphics using Cinnamon Wayland. I'm still learning how to help diagnose graphics issues with Wayland. (For X11 they need to pass in a custom EDID to get the proper resolution.)

For your situation, if you are rebooting, then perhaps running the below will help in the troubleshooting:

Code: Select all

journalctl -b -1 | grep -i "drm\|nvidia\|NVRM\|01:00.0\|wayland"
That will get information from the prior boot cycle.

Edited to strikeout information: Person who needs the custom EDID uses the nvidia-drm.modeset=1 kernel parameter with X11 so they would have had it in place when switching to wayland. I had forgotten that.
Image
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
User avatar
SMG
Level 25
Level 25
Posts: 32414
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:15 pm
Location: USA

Re: Can't log into a Cinnamon Wayland session

Post by SMG »

draconicrose wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:47 pm My question here isn't exactly how to get it to work. I would like to know if I missed anything obvious that I might not have thought to try and if not what kind of information I should gather before I make a bug report.
I asked one of the developers who says he has a GTX 1660 Ti with the 535 driver and he said to try creating a new user and see if the new user could get in.

He's not using the kernel parameter and said it should work out of the box without it, but on his computer he was having trouble getting into Wayland on his main account, but could get in with the new user.
Image
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
User avatar
draconicrose
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:53 pm
Location: Portugal
Contact:

Re: Can't log into a Cinnamon Wayland session

Post by draconicrose »

I read the replies here and tried out a few things. Here's what I found.

I created a new user, different from the one mentioned in my original post, to make sure everything was clean. I also rebooted between attempts to log into/out of the Wayland session.
SMG wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:31 pm The liquorix kernel is a specialized kernel and not a supported one in Linux Mint. Perhaps that is a factor.
I installed kernel 6.5 from the update manager and tried that. I did get a black screen with a blinking cursor instead of the Asus splash screen. For the rest of my attempts I stayed on this kernel. Pastebin log.
SMG wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:31 pm Did you normally see the ASUS splashscreen after you get the login screen when you previously booted into X11 (in prior versions of Linux Mint)? That seems odd and almost as if the computer is rebooting.
No, I didn't get the splash screen previously. I tried switching between X11 sessions and that doesn't give me the splash screen, so I assume it's something that is happening when the Wayland session tries to load. Considering the response above, I assume this is actually a kernel problem.
SMG wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:31 pm Do you have the ability to try the reverse? Only use Nvidia?
This was a great suggestion! It actually worked, so it seems the issue is with the dual GPU. Pastebin log.
SMG wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:31 pm Wayland is not software. It is a protocol and people must write software to meet its specs. That means not everyone's Wayland software will be the same. That's not to say you have not come across a bug; it's just to indicate Wayland is not the same for every desktop environment.
Thanks for the information. I'm aware, I was using that terminology as a shortcut and ended up not wording things correctly.
SMG wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:31 pm I do not know exactly how a dual-gpu computer is supposed to work in Wayland. Thanks for experimenting and helping us gather data.
This seems to be the exact problem, so I'm happy to help!
SMG wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:40 am Did you try Wayland without that (prior to adding it) and it failed?
I had tried and it failed, which is the reason why it up and found recommendations to set it. Just to try again, I disabled it and tried logging in, though this time on kernel 6.5. I got a black screen with a blinking cursor anyway and the log had a single message, repeating. Pastebin log.
SMG wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:38 pm I asked one of the developers who says he has a GTX 1660 Ti with the 535 driver and he said to try creating a new user and see if the new user could get in.
I think this dev must be running the dGPU only, since the issue now seems to be specific to running two GPUs. I didn't try to log into a Wayland session on my main user with a single GPU because I really don't want to risk my configs and having to spend an entire day getting my weird setup to work again!

Please let me know if you'd like me to try anything else or gather more information!
Draconicrose Gaming - Here There Be Dragons
YouTube * More
User avatar
SMG
Level 25
Level 25
Posts: 32414
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:15 pm
Location: USA

Re: Can't log into a Cinnamon Wayland session

Post by SMG »

draconicrose wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:26 amI installed kernel 6.5 from the update manager and tried that. I did get a black screen with a blinking cursor instead of the Asus splash screen. For the rest of my attempts I stayed on this kernel. Pastebin log.
Because I'm still learning what messages might look suspicious but be normal, I'll just note some things I noticed in this pastebin.

I have seen the below numerous times in X11-based output and sometimes it correlates with an issue and other times it's just there and the user does not notice anything so I never know what to do with it other than note I saw it.

Code: Select all

jan 21 14:05:56  kernel: [drm:nv_drm_master_set [nvidia_drm]] *ERROR* [nvidia-drm] [GPU ID 0x00000100] Failed to grab modeset ownership
I did notice multiple signal 11's with regard to cinnamon-wayland.desktop.

Code: Select all

jan 21 14:06:04  cinnamon-session[1457]: WARNING: t+1.57225s: Application 'cinnamon-wayland.desktop' killed by signal 11
...
jan 21 14:06:05  cinnamon-session[1457]: WARNING: t+2.58917s: Application 'cinnamon-wayland.desktop' killed by signal 11
jan 21 14:06:05  cinnamon-session[1457]: WARNING: t+2.58921s: App 'cinnamon-wayland.desktop' respawning too quickly
jan 21 14:06:05  cinnamon-session[1457]: CRITICAL: t+2.58926s: Unable to start session: A program required by the session failed to start. App ID: 'cinnamon-wayland.desktop'. Startup ID: '10c445ddc1c67b2d7e170584596253980500000014570000'.
I guess the required program which didn't start is likely the reason you didn't get a login screen. All those "found modules" (I didn't copy those messages here) look like messages I see when there is a core-dump, but I didn't specifically have you grep for a dump so we don't know for sure. Can you check System Reports > Crash reports to see if anything is listed? That is cleaned on a weekly basis so it might be gone already, but maybe that will give us clues as to what the issue was.

However, several people are running into issues in LM21.3 when resuming from suspend where they are getting a blank screen with the blinking cursor and if they blindly log in, they see their screen. I don't know if you blindly logging in might work due to the nature of the error message, but maybe it will work. That issue they have relates to the screensaver and there is a screensaver-related message on your next pastebin.
draconicrose wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:26 amNo, I didn't get the splash screen previously. I tried switching between X11 sessions and that doesn't give me the splash screen, so I assume it's something that is happening when the Wayland session tries to load. Considering the response above, I assume this is actually a kernel problem.
I'm not sure if it is a kernel problem at this point based on the previous pastebin. If there is somehow a kernel issue, we might need to grep on something else to see it.

What I don't see in the previous output is the i915 driver loading, but I also didn't grep specifically for that. (Some of the intel info shows because it was picked up in lines with drm.) I rather presumed because your initial inxi info showed rendering with Nvidia that Nvidia might be the issue, but for many laptops, screens display with Intel even if they render with Nvidia. It's possible something happened with Intel and that created the black screen. If you want to try it again, run the following next time so we get Intel info as well.

Code: Select all

journalctl -b | grep -i "drm\|i915\|00:02.0\|nvidia\|NVRM\|01:00.0\|cinnamon"
(Edited to add cinnamon to the grep.)
draconicrose wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:26 am
SMG wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:31 pm Do you have the ability to try the reverse? Only use Nvidia?
This was a great suggestion! It actually worked, so it seems the issue is with the dual GPU. Pastebin log.
Lately, even with X11, it seems a lot of laptops are seeing less problems if they run Nvidia only rather than dual-GPU. I don't yet have a theory as to why that might be.

This output had the same nvidia-drm message so that didn't apparently signify anything of interest to us in the previous pastebin.

Code: Select all

jan 21 14:19:41  kernel: [drm:nv_drm_master_set [nvidia_drm]] *ERROR* [nvidia-drm] [GPU ID 0x00000100] Failed to grab modeset ownership
But what I do see is a message about the screensaver and no signal 11 messages.

Code: Select all

jan 21 14:20:13  org.cinnamon.ScreenSaver[2196]: Cinnamon Screensaver is unavailable on Wayland.
Based on the timestamps, it appears you tested the Wayland session for approximately two minutes and then

Code: Select all

jan 21 14:21:57 cinnamon-session[1439]: WARNING: t+129.33710s: Application 'cinnamon-wayland.desktop' killed by signal 1
(And that ending is signal 1 and not 11.)
draconicrose wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:26 amI had tried [without the kernel parameter] and it failed, which is the reason why it up and found recommendations to set it. Just to try again, I disabled it and tried logging in, though this time on kernel 6.5. I got a black screen with a blinking cursor anyway and the log had a single message, repeating. Pastebin log.
That's one of those ugly NvKmsKapiMemory messages.

Code: Select all

jan 21 14:57:55  kernel: [drm:__nv_drm_gem_nvkms_memory_prime_get_sg_table [nvidia_drm]] *ERROR* [nvidia-drm] [GPU ID 0x00000100] Cannot create sg_table for NvKmsKapiMemory 0x0000000028cd97eb
I researched the message and others have seen in on other Wayland DEs, but they said it was not a fatal message for those installs, but it did signify a problem with specific apps.

There are two different technologies, EGL and GBM, which Nvidia (and apps) have used. If I am recalling correctly they started with EGL but have switched to using GBM. However, someone mentioned to me last night that not all GPUs might react the same with the same Nvidia driver version when using Wayland because the age of the GPU might be determining which technology the Nvidia driver is using. I would think by the 545 driver that all would be using GBM, but maybe not. All new to me at this point so we are learning together. :)
draconicrose wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:26 am
SMG wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:38 pm I asked one of the developers who says he has a GTX 1660 Ti with the 535 driver and he said to try creating a new user and see if the new user could get in.
I think this dev must be running the dGPU only, since the issue now seems to be specific to running two GPUs.
I will have to ask.
draconicrose wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:26 amI didn't try to log into a Wayland session on my main user with a single GPU because I really don't want to risk my configs and having to spend an entire day getting my weird setup to work again!
I understand! I appreciate you taking the time to do this.
draconicrose wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:26 amPlease let me know if you'd like me to try anything else or gather more information!
Other than what I already mentioned, please upgrade your inxi version to the latest How to Update the inxi command to the latest version and install vulkan-tools if you do not already have that package installed. Then run inxi -Gxxxz for both an X11 session and a Wayland session so we can compare the outputs. The inxi developer has added some information to the graphics to get started with Wayland, but there isn't yet a lot of information available because of the way the protocol works and how different developers are implementing it.

Do this when you have time. There is no rush for this. It is expected Wayland will be experimental for quite a while. Plus I expect there will be some update patches coming out based on bugs which became apparent after release that seem to relate to changes made for Wayland. (No timing known yet for those.)
Image
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
User avatar
draconicrose
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:53 pm
Location: Portugal
Contact:

Re: Can't log into a Cinnamon Wayland session

Post by draconicrose »

I tried to extract some actionable stuff from your reply, but honestly most of it went way over my head 😅 I gotta say, about the X11 error, that I don't notice anything not working correctly.
SMG wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:20 pm Can you check System Reports > Crash reports to see if anything is listed?
There wasn't anything. I tried to replicate the conditions and check again, but there was no crash report. I could go into TTY while the screen was black with the blinking cursor, though. Maybe there's some information I can gather there?
SMG wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:20 pm However, several people are running into issues in LM21.3 when resuming from suspend where they are getting a blank screen with the blinking cursor and if they blindly log in, they see their screen. I don't know if you blindly logging in might work due to the nature of the error message, but maybe it will work. That issue they have relates to the screensaver and there is a screensaver-related message on your next pastebin.
I'm not entirely sure what "blindly log in" means. I assume it means just typing in the password while it's blank with the cursor blinking. If so, the test user I made doesn't have a password. Shouldn't it just go through?
SMG wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:20 pm I'm not sure if it is a kernel problem at this point based on the previous pastebin.
It might partially be because on liquorix I get the asus splashscreen but on the supported kernel I don't. Of course, that could just be a separate problem, too!
SMG wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:20 pm for many laptops, screens display with Intel even if they render with Nvidia
I'm unsure if you were just mentioning laptops because it might be a similar situation, but I just want to note that despite the dual GPUs this is not a laptop, it's a desktop computer. I would run both monitors off the dGPU (and have less issues...) but the secondary monitor uses a VGA connector, which my dGPU doesn't have. I did have an HDMI-VGA adapter at one point but it causes other issues, mainly performance.
SMG wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:20 pm Lately, even with X11, it seems a lot of laptops are seeing less problems if they run Nvidia only rather than dual-GPU. I don't yet have a theory as to why that might be.
Afaik, rendering offloading has always been a little iffy on Nvidia's Linux driver. At least I think that's the term. :P
SMG wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:20 pm If you want to try it again, run the following next time so we get Intel info as well.
Some weird stuff happened when I was trying this out, which might be specific to asus motherboards. Turns out the BIOS GPU settings are not quite as important as whether or not a GPU has a monitor connected to it. :| Also, something weird happens with Mint when using the iGPU with a monitor connected to the dGPU. While booting, there's only graphics on the monitor connected to the iGPU but as soon as it gets past grub and the Mint logo appears, both monitors get mirrored. After logging in, both the dGPU monitor and the iGPU monitor get graphics, extended instead of mirrored. Very odd!

Both GPUs: https://pastebin.com/tXRLLG4p
Intel "only": https://pastebin.com/FfL33Sj8 <- This is where the situation mentioned above happened.

Code: Select all

draconicrose@alexDesktop:~$ glxinfo|egrep "OpenGL vendor|OpenGL renderer"
    OpenGL vendor string: Intel
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 (KBL GT2)
    
Nvidia only: https://pastebin.com/B9AdtWyz

I could only get the BIOS to accept using the dGPU only if I disconnected the VGA monitor from the iGPU. This is an asus motherboard problem, it's all over reddit and stuff with no software solution.
SMG wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:20 pm Then run inxi -Gxxxz for both an X11 session and a Wayland session
https://pastebin.com/Jed4Bdk8. I can run a Wayland session for longer if needed, I didn't stay long because I couldn't really use my normal user or both my monitors, which are the reason I wanted to test Wayland in the first place.
Draconicrose Gaming - Here There Be Dragons
YouTube * More
User avatar
SMG
Level 25
Level 25
Posts: 32414
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:15 pm
Location: USA

Re: Can't log into a Cinnamon Wayland session

Post by SMG »

draconicrose wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:53 pm I tried to extract some actionable stuff from your reply, but honestly most of it went way over my head 😅 I gotta say, about the X11 error, that I don't notice anything not working correctly.
Some of that is talking to myself noting what I see because I don't always remember when I come back later to a topic. :mrgreen:
draconicrose wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:53 pm
SMG wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:20 pm Can you check System Reports > Crash reports to see if anything is listed?
There wasn't anything. I tried to replicate the conditions and check again, but there was no crash report. I could go into TTY while the screen was black with the blinking cursor, though. Maybe there's some information I can gather there?
Other than the journalctl line I suggested, I don't know what might have useful information.
draconicrose wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:53 pm
SMG wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:20 pm However, several people are running into issues in LM21.3 when resuming from suspend where they are getting a blank screen with the blinking cursor and if they blindly log in, they see their screen. I don't know if you blindly logging in might work due to the nature of the error message, but maybe it will work. That issue they have relates to the screensaver and there is a screensaver-related message on your next pastebin.
I'm not entirely sure what "blindly log in" means. I assume it means just typing in the password while it's blank with the cursor blinking. If so, the test user I made doesn't have a password. Shouldn't it just go through?
Yes, that is what blindly log in means. Yes, I would expect the test user would go through, but you might have had to tap a key? I'm not sure.

In any case, an updated cinnamon-screensaver was released to fix the issue that was causing that to happen when running an X session. You should have received that this past week. I don't know how/if that affects a Wayland session.
draconicrose wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:53 pmI'm unsure if you were just mentioning laptops because it might be a similar situation, but I just want to note that despite the dual GPUs this is not a laptop, it's a desktop computer.
It used to be the desktops were not dual-GPU (to be used simultaneously), but any more it seems they are. That often means the code is picking them up as a dual-GPU like what only happened in the past with laptops and many people are now able to use the nvidia-prime-applet to switch on their desktops. It really depends on how the motherboard is wired as to what might happen. (The wiring can also be an issue with laptops because not all are designed the same way.) That tends to be a factor that makes things iffy.

I'll post this and come back to the rest of your comments a little later after I have a chance to go through everything which might not be until tomorrow for me.
Image
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
User avatar
SMG
Level 25
Level 25
Posts: 32414
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:15 pm
Location: USA

Re: Can't log into a Cinnamon Wayland session

Post by SMG »

Moderator note: hynkelz's issue can now be found here Can't log into a Cinnamon Wayland session - only Nvidia GPU because they have different hardware. Please create new topics when your hardware is different.
Image
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
hynkelz
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:29 am

Re: Can't log into a Cinnamon Wayland session

Post by hynkelz »

This person seems to have make it work.
Not sure if it applies to this problem. Thought i post it anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX_c9z9CEL4
User avatar
SMG
Level 25
Level 25
Posts: 32414
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:15 pm
Location: USA

Re: Can't log into a Cinnamon Wayland session

Post by SMG »

hynkelz wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:51 am This person seems to have make it work.
So did the person in this topic.
draconicrose wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:26 am
SMG wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:31 pm Do you have the ability to try the reverse? Only use Nvidia?
This was a great suggestion! It actually worked, so it seems the issue is with the dual GPU.
hynkelz: Please post your issues in your topic. You have different hardware and your posts are not helping with the dual-GPU issue we are discussing here.
Image
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
User avatar
SMG
Level 25
Level 25
Posts: 32414
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:15 pm
Location: USA

Re: Can't log into a Cinnamon Wayland session

Post by SMG »

draconicrose wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:53 pmSome weird stuff happened when I was trying this out, which might be specific to asus motherboards. Turns out the BIOS GPU settings are not quite as important as whether or not a GPU has a monitor connected to it. :|
Maybe that is what the firmware (BIOS/UEFI) is using as criteria for some of their actions.

If the operating system sees a GPU is enabled, it will be listed as a device in the Graphics section (regardless of whether a monitor is attached). It's also my understanding the numbering of the devices is the prior the operating system uses with regards to which GPU has priority for use (ie. Device-1 is the default primary renderer).
draconicrose wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:53 pmAlso, something weird happens with Mint when using the iGPU with a monitor connected to the dGPU. While booting, there's only graphics on the monitor connected to the iGPU but as soon as it gets past grub and the Mint logo appears, both monitors get mirrored. After logging in, both the dGPU monitor and the iGPU monitor get graphics, extended instead of mirrored. Very odd!
Let's break this down into three different parts. The first part, booting the system, is usually determined by the BIOS and most BIOSes give priority to a DP connection over any HDMI connections. (I don't know where VGA stands with relation to DP and HDMI.)

The next part, the login screen, is controlled by the Login Window app on Linux Mint. Go to the Settings tab and in the Settings block you can select a Monitor from the drop-down box.

After you log in, the settings are determined by the Display app.
draconicrose wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:53 pmBoth GPUs: https://pastebin.com/tXRLLG4p
This line seems to indicate you deleted the nvidia-prime-applet.

Code: Select all

jan 26 18:01:38 alexDesktop systemd-xdg-autostart-generator[1442]: Exec binary '/usr/lib/nvidia-prime-applet/nvidia-prime' does not exist: No such file or directory
It's a Linux Mint file and can be re-installed with sudo apt-get install nvidia-prime-applet.


The below two lines may go with the above because it may be looking for nvidia-prime (and the ability to switch)?

Code: Select all

jan 26 18:01:38 alexDesktop systemd-xdg-autostart-generator[1442]: Not generating service for XDG autostart app-nvidia\x2dprime@autostart.service, error parsing Exec= line: No such file or directory
jan 26 18:01:39 alexDesktop cinnamon-session[1455]: WARNING: t+0.03033s: Could not read /home/draconicrose/.config/autostart/nvidia-prime.desktop: Could not parse desktop file nvidia-prime.desktop or it references a not found TryExec binary
However it seems you have something defined to say to use Nvidia which may be why the nvidia-prime system was having issues.

Code: Select all

jan 26 18:01:39 alexDesktop pulseaudio[1743]: libva info: User environment variable requested driver 'nvidia'
Cinnamon started in this session and all the messages seem to be "normal" ones.
draconicrose wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:53 pmIntel "only": https://pastebin.com/FfL33Sj8 <- This is where the situation mentioned above happened.

Code: Select all

draconicrose@alexDesktop:~$ glxinfo|egrep "OpenGL vendor|OpenGL renderer"
    OpenGL vendor string: Intel
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 (KBL GT2)
    
That output looks similar to the previous one. Perhaps your motherboard does not have a way to do Intel only if you have the GPU installed.
draconicrose wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:53 pmNvidia only: https://pastebin.com/B9AdtWyz
Yes, that is similar to what you had in a previous post when using only Nvidia.

So it would seem the issue with Intel may be an environment variable you have specified somewhere? Do you have an xorg.conf file that only specifies using Nvidia? Usually, that file is set up to only run Nvidia and causes problems if one is attempting to use Intel.

The signal 11 errors which happened on your previous attempts earlier in this topic may not have happened this time because of the update for cinnamon-screensaver which came through this week. I didn't see any signal 11 messages in this output. The Cinnamon output looks "normal".
draconicrose wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:53 pm
SMG wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:20 pm Then run inxi -Gxxxz for both an X11 session and a Wayland session
https://pastebin.com/Jed4Bdk8. I can run a Wayland session for longer if needed, I didn't stay long because I couldn't really use my normal user or both my monitors, which are the reason I wanted to test Wayland in the first place.
For getting inxi information that I wanted to see, the length of the session does not matter.

I'm posting the outputs here for future reference. I highlighted some of the fields in each which are different. The Wayland session is using software rendering (llvmpipe) and lists as v. 4.5 for OpenGL. Not sure if all that relates to how the Nvidia driver is working or is an artifact that inxi Wayland info is still new and more refinements might be needed. I don't know enough about Vulkan to know why it showed in one and not the other. (Screen information is xrandr functionality so it would make sense it does not show in Wayland. )

# Wayland
Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA TU116 [GeForce GTX 1660] vendor: ZOTAC driver: nvidia
v: 545.29.06 arch: Turing pcie: speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 ports: active: none
off: DP-1 empty: DP-2,DP-3,HDMI-A-1 bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:2184
class-ID: 0300

Display: wayland server: X.org v: 1.21.1.4 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.1
driver: X: loaded: nvidia unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa
gpu: nvidia,nvidia-nvswitch display-ID: 0

Monitor-1: DP-1 model: XGM27QHD+ serial: <filter> res: 2560x1440 dpi: 108
size: 600x330mm (23.62x12.99") diag: 685mm (27") modes: max: 2560x1440
min: 640x480

API: EGL v: 1.5 hw: drv: nvidia platforms: device: egl egl: N/A drv: N/A
gbm: drv: nvidia wayland: drv: N/A x11: drv: N/A
API: OpenGL v: 4.5 vendor: mesa v: 23.0.4-0ubuntu1~22.04.1 glx-v: 1.4
es-v: 3.2 direct-render: yes renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 15.0.7 256 bits)
device-ID: ffffffff:ffffffff display-ID: :1.0
API: Vulkan Message: No Vulkan data available.


# X11
Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA TU116 [GeForce GTX 1660] vendor: ZOTAC driver: nvidia
v: 545.29.06 arch: Turing pcie: speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 ports: active: none
off: DP-1 empty: DP-2,DP-3,HDMI-A-1 bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:2184
class-ID: 0300

Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.4 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.1 driver: X:
loaded: nvidia unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa
gpu: nvidia,nvidia-nvswitch display-ID: :0 screens: 1

Screen-1: 0 s-res: 2560x1440 s-dpi: 108 s-size: 602x333mm (23.70x13.11")
s-diag: 688mm (27.09")
Monitor-1: DP-1 mapped: DP-0 note: disabled model: XGM27QHD+
serial: <filter> res: 2560x1440 hz: 144 dpi: 93
size: 697x392mm (27.44x15.43") diag: 685mm (27") modes: max: 2560x1440
min: 640x480

API: EGL v: 1.5 hw: drv: nvidia platforms: device: egl egl: N/A drv: N/A
gbm: drv: nvidia x11: drv: nvidia inactive: wayland
API: OpenGL v: 4.6.0 vendor: nvidia v: 545.29.06 glx-v: 1.4
direct-render: yes renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660/PCIe/SSE2
API: Vulkan v: 1.3.204 layers: 6 surfaces: xcb,xlib device: 0
type: discrete-gpu driver: nvidia device-ID: 10de:2184 device: 1 type: cpu
driver: mesa llvmpipe device-ID: 10005:0000[/code]
Image
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
User avatar
draconicrose
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:53 pm
Location: Portugal
Contact:

Re: Can't log into a Cinnamon Wayland session

Post by draconicrose »

It seems that I can't really untangle this mess much more without undoing my configurations, which, like I said before, were a PITA to get done. There's a lot of messy config and workarounding I've had to do to get both monitors to behave, most of which were trial and error, so yeah, it's very possible that some of that is interfering with everything working properly. My motherboard is also the cheapest I could get for my purposes so I wouldn't be surprised if it really just didn't allow me to pick a gpu but they didn't bother to update the UEFI to reflect that. Alas.
SMG wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:34 pm This line seems to indicate you deleted the nvidia-prime-applet.

Code: Select all

jan 26 18:01:38 alexDesktop systemd-xdg-autostart-generator[1442]: Exec binary '/usr/lib/nvidia-prime-applet/nvidia-prime' does not exist: No such file or directory
It's a Linux Mint file and can be re-installed with sudo apt-get install nvidia-prime-applet.
I did uninstall that, I don't need to switch GPUs like... ever. 😛 The intel is only active for the second monitor, otherwise I'd run everything off the Nvidia. The way I understood it, the Nvidia card is actually rendering everything but it passes some of it off to the intel card so it can display that on the VGA monitor. Regardless, I reinstalled the applet and just won't put it on a panel, it should satisfy the error.
SMG wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:34 pm However it seems you have something defined to say to use Nvidia which may be why the nvidia-prime system was having issues.

So it would seem the issue with Intel may be an environment variable you have specified somewhere? Do you have an xorg.conf file that only specifies using Nvidia? Usually, that file is set up to only run Nvidia and causes problems if one is attempting to use Intel.
I have

Code: Select all

xrandr --setprovideroutputsource modesetting NVIDIA-0
xrandr --auto
in my xinit.rc and don't seem the have an xorg.conf file anymore, at least not under /etc/X11/, so I now have no idea where the settings are being stored, which is always a great sign. /s

I also have an auto-start script which is:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
s="$(nvidia-settings -q CurrentMetaMode -t)"

if [[ "${s}" != "" ]]; then
  s="${s#*" :: "}"
  nvidia-settings -a CurrentMetaMode="${s//\}/, ForceCompositionPipeline=On, AllowGSYNCCompatible=On\}}"
fi
without which my VGA monitor would be black or I'd have to have force composition off and thus screen tearing.

Part of why I reaaaaaally hope Wayland gets fully implemented is to mitigate all of this. I would rather not have to think about it.
Draconicrose Gaming - Here There Be Dragons
YouTube * More
User avatar
SMG
Level 25
Level 25
Posts: 32414
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:15 pm
Location: USA

Re: Can't log into a Cinnamon Wayland session

Post by SMG »

draconicrose wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:07 pmI did uninstall that, I don't need to switch GPUs like... ever. 😛
:lol:
draconicrose wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:07 pmThe intel is only active for the second monitor, otherwise I'd run everything off the Nvidia. The way I understood it, the Nvidia card is actually rendering everything but it passes some of it off to the intel card so it can display that on the VGA monitor. Regardless, I reinstalled the applet and just won't put it on a panel, it should satisfy the error.
I don't know if it still shows in Start-up Applications for LM21 versions, but you can remove it from there if it does.
draconicrose wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:07 pm I have

Code: Select all

xrandr --setprovideroutputsource modesetting NVIDIA-0
xrandr --auto
in my xinit.rc and don't seem the have an xorg.conf file anymore, at least not under /etc/X11/, so I now have no idea where the settings are being stored, which is always a great sign. /s
xrandr commands do not work with proprietary Nvidia drivers. They only work with open-source drivers (such as the Intel drivers). Also, I have no idea how xrandr interprets NVIDIA-0 as a port? :?

Having said that, those are X related commands so I would not expect them to be used when in Wayland.
draconicrose wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:07 pm
I also have an auto-start script which is:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
s="$(nvidia-settings -q CurrentMetaMode -t)"

if [[ "${s}" != "" ]]; then
  s="${s#*" :: "}"
  nvidia-settings -a CurrentMetaMode="${s//\}/, ForceCompositionPipeline=On, AllowGSYNCCompatible=On\}}"
fi
without which my VGA monitor would be black or I'd have to have force composition off and thus screen tearing.
It is my understanding Nvidia does not have an app to make any kind of adjustments when using Wayland. That means I would not expect that script to be doing anything when in Wayland.

Calling that script in X11 probably is telling the system to only use Nvidia. Running nvidia-settings from the command line usually creates an xorg.conf file which indicates only Nvidia is being used. However, because you say you don't have an xorg.conf, maybe this script is what is being picked up to say you are only using Nvidia. (However, I'm not positive about that.)
Image
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
User avatar
SMG
Level 25
Level 25
Posts: 32414
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:15 pm
Location: USA

Re: Can't log into a Cinnamon Wayland session

Post by SMG »

draconicrose wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:07 pm I have

Code: Select all

xrandr --setprovideroutputsource modesetting NVIDIA-0
xrandr --auto
in my xinit.rc and don't seem the have an xorg.conf file anymore, at least not under /etc/X11/, so I now have no idea where the settings are being stored, which is always a great sign. /s
I just noticed those lines in the Debian Wiki: Nvidia Optimus: Using Nvidia GPU as the primary GPU which is what one would do for a dual-GPU laptop in Debian-based distros.
Image
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Post Reply

Return to “Cinnamon on Wayland”