KDE 4.4 on the way

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Novarg

Re: KDE 4.4 on the way

Post by Novarg »

Airdack wrote: I had the same problem just after upgrading, but after waiting for some time and rebooting everything was normal again, so although I can confirm that I had the problem I cannot really offer a solution. Do you use a tool to automatically mount disks on startup? Since KDE has it's own tool now so you might wanna use that instead of an external tool :)
Yes thanks, reboot is magic thing :D Today places looks fine in dolphin.

But i found another problem. Any of my kopete messages that i sent via yahoo not delivered for contacts. It looks like message was sent from my side but no one
getiing messages from me. Tryed to delete all settings but it not helped.

Can somebody test yahoo in kopete?
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

Hey guys, where we at? I just reinstalled Linux Mint 8 KDE64, but, have not gone the 4.4 route yet. Once broke, twice shy. Will it work or break my system if I go ahead?
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Looks like the python-qt4 - 4.7.0-2ubuntu3 package came through with the latest updates from Kubuntu backports. It was the only item listed in the Update Manager this morning when I checked. Installed with no problem, I rebooted and "User Management" works fine.

Just for info's sake. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

hi all.. last week, i'm installing helena kde x64 and although it run smoothly without any issues in my machine, i can't resist the temptations to upgrading kde to 4.4. So, enable the kubuntu backport repo,and do a dist-upgrade. After upgrading to kde 4.4, just have some minor issues (the user management and it seems slower but i can live with it. Not until when yesterday, i can't open a folder under ROOT by using the action menu. The dolphin will opened up but somehow it empty and complaining something like this "...the process for file had died unexpectedly..." i've reinstall the root-service-menu, remove it and then install it back, reinstall dolphin but with no joy. I've attempt to run dolphin using command kdesudo dolphin or sudo dolphin in konsole but it give me a longggg long error. Although i can log into root account and open or edit any file needed (which cant be edited using normal user), finally i give up and use helena kde x64 as it was using kde 4.3.x. Anyone facing the same problem and successfully fix it? Might be useful if it happen to me in the future. Thanks. :-)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

"...the process for file had died unexpectedly..."
Turn on Nepomuk and see if that takes care of that.
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

exploder wrote: Turn on Nepomuk and see if that takes care of that.
I believe i had done it before with no joy.

and if i try to run the dolphin from konsole with kdesudo or sudo, SOMETIMES it complain about "...DBus Backend error... Connection error..." and sometimes it give a veryyy long error. Other than that, i'm sorry i cant give more details as i've revert to kde 4.3.5 already.
odysseusjak

Post by odysseusjak »

FEED3: You wrote, 'I've revert(ed) to kde 4.3.5 already'. How did you manage to do that? There are a couple of things that aren't as smooth in 4.4 that makes me want to do the same. The only way I know of is to reinstall from disc.

One of the big things for me is when I click on the kicker menu, it jerks open and closed. All of the 'animation' is jerky. I've tried changing some of my settings in desktop settings but to know avail. Also, I use the daisy dock and it doesn't work with 4.4 UNDER 9.10 (mint 8's base).

So, I stated all of that to state that I would like to revet back to 4.3.5 too.

Thanks.
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

odysseusjak wrote:How did you manage to do that? There are a couple of things that aren't as smooth in 4.4 that makes me want to do the same.
I don't know if i use the word 'revert' correctly but what i do is just restoring back the image of my mint with kde 4.3.5 which i created earlier using partimage.
The only way I know of is to reinstall from disc..
I agree with you on that. When still using gloria kde back then, i've mess it up while playing around and trying to "upgrade it" to helena kde. All i can do after that is to do a fresh installation. That's why i made an image of my mint first before i'm upgrading kde to 4.4 because i dont want the same situation happen once again.

Maybe someone out there can tell you if you can reverting the upgrade you've done from within 4.4 itself, like reinstalling the kde 4.3 from synaptic, maybe using mint-meta-kde ?? i dont know, havent try it, dont know if it is possible but would like to know if some one can tell us or if someone have tried it before.
nico

Re: KDE 4.4 on the way [SOLVED]

Post by nico »

hi all
everything seems ok now in kde 4.4
just one problem with system monitor, showing a blank screen when opening it.
Last edited by nico on Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

nico wrote:hi all
everything seems ok now in kde 4.4
just one problem with system monitor, showing a blank screen when opening it.
Not mine, it works, see screenshot. System specs in signature.
nico

Post by nico »

thanks for reply
when it opens ksysguard, a window appears
.kde/share/apps/ksysguard/ProcessTable.sgrd does not contains a valid XML code

what's wrong with it?
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

nico wrote:thanks for reply
when it opens ksysguard, a window appears
.kde/share/apps/ksysguard/ProcessTable.sgrd does not contains a valid XML code

what's wrong with it?
Check this link for an answer: http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-qt-k ... 23240.html
nico

Post by nico »

thank you very much
i deleted that file and ksysguard started properly.
:D
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

nico wrote:thank you very much
i deleted that file and ksysguard started properly.
:D
Please edit your first post and in the subject line add [Solved] good luck. If you have another problem, start a new thread.

Return to “Software & Applications”