Hello Everyone

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ozzyrockin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone

Post by ozzyrockin »

Hello, I'm a 22 year old Native American, you can just call me Oz. I have been using Linux since 2019 when I got introduced to a raspberry pi in a Cyber security class to show off a cool project. Hilariously in retrospect my initial project was wanting to run Minecraft in a cluster which of course got replaced by just showing off a android install on a pi, honestly showing off a forge server would have been very cool but I digress. Ever since then I have been creeping more and more into Linux, I started running basic servers Pi-hole, Wireguard VPN, and port-forwarded SSH servers with Keys only set-up on my two pis which I got for myself. a 3b+ which I still have and a Zero W 1.1 which unfortunately passed away about a year ago, may it rest in peace after running Pi-hole so diligently. Image

In 2022 after having my first and current IT job I decided to spice my Rig up and get used to using desktop Linux after I had gotten pretty familiar with basic terminal use. So I installed Linux Mint 20.3 been using Mint as my main OS ever since, I keep a Win10 install on a separate drive just for certain games for better performance or stability. Recently I moved over to LMDE 6 and so far its been pretty seamless espcially since I keep plenty of Timeshift backups. I don't really do productivity, editing, or background servers on my main computer mainly just gaming and accessing my other Linux machines. Gaming works very well and when I have to do tinkering of my own to it is very straightforward at least Linux-wise. I have a Steam Deck but I don't use it that often but I did want to set it up as a general use laptop to help with my job. I also have a little home network with some old machines with various Linux Server Distros on them but nothing too interesting right now but I hope to host more and more services for myself to use.

I want to join these fourms mainly to help get me out of my customization shell as I envisioned my Rig to have a fully tricked out Cinnamon desktop, Steam set up with Steam ROM manager like on my Steam Deck (I just have my legally dumped switch and gc/wii games for now), and a whole suite of apps that I have personally customized to my liking. I really want to wrangle my RGB to have to do cool stuff but nothing really is there like how I imagined it.

I don't really do social media at all and without a convenient way to browse, post, and reply on my phone I probably will just lurk on here like I did on Reddit and do on Lemmy but I will do my best to try and be social and learn. (seriously going over this a couple of times and nervous about posting it at all)

I work as a IT technician right now with my only cert right now being A+. I'm hoping my Linux hobby can blossom into something more and better for me in the future and I am even currently trying to get more certs and right now actually going for the LPI Linux Essentials right now.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Hello Everyone

Post by kc1di »

Hello Oz,
Welcome to the Linux Mint forum, enjoy the journey! :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
NM64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NM64 »

ozzyrockin wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:15 ammy legally dumped switch and gc/wii games
:shock:

My brother!

Though, uh... if you're 22 right now, then that means you would have been like 7 when the original "Twilight Hack" came out, so maybe you weren't quite into Wii soft-modding in the same vain as me (I'm in my 30s, so I was in my late teens when all of the Wii softmodding stuff was getting to be the new hotness).

Besides, Twilight Princess was rated T for teen, and a 7 year old last I checked is very much under 13 years old. :P (yes I know that the ESRB is not legally-binding, I was playing the M-rated N64 version of Quiake II in my early teen years...)

Regardless, I actually didn't dump all of my discs until around 2012 when I started taking my Wii console to various different places, and having everything on a single hard drive was much more portable than trying to pick-and-choose which disks to bring (especially more towards the late 2010s once I started having spare low-capacity SATA SSDs just sort of laying around; a single 128GB SSD with a SATA USB adapter was enough to fit all of my ripped Wii & GC discs and avoided my constant issues of trying to find compatible USB flash drives).

On the subject of Linux and spare SATA SSDs, they make for good offline timeshift backups. :P

Also, while you've since moved on from Mint 20.3, there's the weirdest bug which can be easily verified by luabench from the old 5.0 CPU benchmark (gee the creator of that thread looks familiar...) whereby Dolphin performs way slower with SMT/hyperthreading enabled (even with kernel 5.15), yet this bug doesn't occur on Mint 21 with the very same kernel...
CPU: Xeon E3-1246 v3 (4c/8t Haswell/Intel 4th gen) — core & cache @ 3.9GHz via multicore enhancement
GPU: Intel integrated HD Graphics P4600
RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengence @ DDR3-1600
ozzyrockin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ozzyrockin »

NM64 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:31 am
ozzyrockin wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:15 ammy legally dumped switch and gc/wii games
:shock:

My brother!

Though, uh... if you're 22 right now, then that means you would have been like 7 when the original "Twilight Hack" came out, so maybe you weren't quite into Wii soft-modding in the same vain as me

No I was definitely not into anything modding when I was 7 :lol:
I did have my gamecube back then and I absolutely loved playing Shadow all the time XD, I even convinced my dad to get me a copy of pikmin 2 which in retrospect was a great idea as I love playing pikmin and pikmin 2's og price is insane nowadays.
I got my Wii (one with gc compat and controller ports) from a garage sale 2 years ago then immediately set up the homebrew channel and poked around, honestly I haven't actually dumped everything. I do want to do it at some point.
I think my first thing I ever "modded" was back right after I got minecraft I think in 2011 I got some forge mods working which for those who know that was a tremendous task back in the day. Moment I loaded with some elemental arrows really sticks with me even today. Of course another memory of those days was when I installed a early version of Morph (I think it was a different mod) and discovered I could join vanilla servers with it on. I will spare you specifics but with all my knowledge today in retrospect I basically ran around a random server trying to roleplay as what ever mob I thought I looked like but in reality I probably looked like another player to everyone else. I think its hilarious in retrospect.

On the subject of Linux and spare SATA SSDs, they make for good offline timeshift backups
Oh yeah that is a great idea actually I have a couple of 300-500 gb laptop hdds just laying around and some old backups of previous versions I keep just in case
whereby Dolphin performs way slower with SMT/hyperthreading enabled
yeah haven't tried Dolphin since I installed LMDE, Will have to try it and check
NM64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NM64 »

ozzyrockin wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:45 pmI got my Wii (one with gc compat and controller ports) from a garage sale 2 years ago then immediately set up the homebrew channel and poked around,
Do you know if it was a model with bootmii as boot2 or as iOS? Launch models such as my own were boot2 but it changed at some point a few years later.

If it's boot2, then there are some fun things that can be done like making it boot straight to the likes of USB Loader GX by using a replacement ppcboot.elf file on the SD card without the need to even install priiloader.

And presumably you're using Devolution or Nintendont for GameCube games via the softmod stuff, right?
ozzyrockin wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:45 pmI even convinced my dad to get me a copy of pikmin 2 which in retrospect was a great idea as I love playing pikmin and pikmin 2's og price is insane nowadays.
Have you tried the Wii port? It's always difficult in retrospect to find objective information on the controls of games that used the wii remote since there's a certain gaming audience that automatically gets triggered at anything that used the wii remote (though Metroid Prime Trilogy and Resident Evil 4 are key exceptions as they were notable for just being particularly absolutely exceptional implementations, though Metroid requires setting its in-game control sensitivity to "advanced").
ozzyrockin wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:45 pmyeah haven't tried Dolphin since I installed LMDE, Will have to try it and check
I would think that the issue wouldn't occur in LMDE6, but I never actually did test it in LMDE so who knows...

Just know that, for whatever reason, both the old 5.0 version and the much newer "beta" versions are listed in the Mint software manager on specifically LMDE (if you were to test the CPU thing then you'd definitely want the newer "beta" versions).
CPU: Xeon E3-1246 v3 (4c/8t Haswell/Intel 4th gen) — core & cache @ 3.9GHz via multicore enhancement
GPU: Intel integrated HD Graphics P4600
RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengence @ DDR3-1600
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the Linux Mint forum,
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Introduce Yourself”