Hello World!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MarRob
Level 1
Level 1

Hello World!

Post by MarRob »

Greetings from sunny Cyprus.
I'm Scottish and retired to Cyprus 20 years ago but shortly afterwards my wife died so, although approaching 86 and almost blind, I now live alone and rely almost totally on my computer to interface with the outside world.
Despite having grown up with Windows since DOS-6/Win-3.1 days, I've become increasingly pissed off with the mercenary direction M$ is heading - Windows is no longer an Operating System for doing work but has morphed into an Entertainment System for social networking.
In 2008 I bought a book on Linux but the learning curve seemed very steep so I shelved the idea and stuck with Win-XP. My daughter, who works for a software company and speaks fluent C++, requires state-of-the-art hardware and last Autumn bought the latest and greatest and kindly bequeathed me her 'old' (ie 2019!) laptop. It's a Razer-14 and a beautiful machine but... it runs Win-10! Since then I've struggled to find my way around this bloated disaster, with the same functions in different places with different names, and copiously larded with ads at every click.
The thought of grinding my way up the Win-10 learning curve was the final straw - I decided to abandon M$ and install Linux on the Razer. So, using my Win-7 Desktop, I boned up on modern Linux and found that Mint had the GUI most similar to Windows and thus a less-steep mountain for a blind geriatric to climb. I downloaded 21.2 Cinnamon but, before nuking the Razer, decided to dual-boot the desktop and get some elementary Linux experience. Fearful of perhaps losing 35 years of data spread over 18 partitions in three 1TB SSDs, I made clones and backed everything up to external drives.
After the expected trials and errors and with much customising still needed, Mint 21.2 is now installed and dual-booting on the desktop, with on-line access and functioning audio, dual monitors, all my partitions and data accessible, and with RJ45 networking to the Razer. I'm sure that my ancient genealogy program is dead meat in Linux and still have lots of work to do: exporting my bookmarks from my existing FireFox, working out how to access my existing Thunderbird data, plus checking that my printer and scanner work. During installation, do devices require to be switched on so that Mint automatically detects them and loads drivers? Mine were both off at the time. :(
Despite some minor niggles (such as the lethargic mouse pointer) so far I'm very pleased with Mint, it does what it says on the tin.
So that's my long-winded self-introduction, hope I haven't bored you.
MarRob.

Self-built desktop: Win-7 Pro 64; 3.1GHz AMD 8-core CPU; 8GB RAM; 3x1TB SSD; NVIDIA GTX560 Ti
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Hello World!

Post by kc1di »

Hello MarRob,
Welcome to the Linux Mint forum, enjoy the journey!
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I'm sure that my ancient genealogy prog ... t in Linux
It may run under wine, what is the program?

I use ancestris under linux.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
MarRob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MarRob »

Thanks for your reply, Andy - a fellow family history buff!
I've used Legacy-3 for 25 years and it suits my needs perfectly. Just like Windows they keep bringing out a new model with more bells and whistles which I don't need. With a Scottish father and South African mother my interests are almost exclusively European and have little use for the USA-oriented features of the latest versions. In addition, each upgrade won't import data from an earlier version and I'm not going to spend my declining years retyping details of 46,000 individuals! So I stick to my ancient version.
I'm totally new to Linux and feeling my way gingerly around a new architecture and learning a new vocabulary so I experiment with trepidation, hence my dual-boot with Win-7, on which I'm typing this reply.
I will try to fire up Legacy but ('m probably wrong) I gather it's not as simple as double-clicking on the EXE file but has to be added to the applications library using a Program Manager?
I'll keep you posted and thank you again for your interest. Take care.
Bill
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Win programs do not run under linux, but there is wine, an application that enables you to run some win software. I don't use it, I use crossover, this is the commercial version of wine, so not free (but you can try for free). It has a few more tweaks to get some software to run (focus on office) and is generally easier to install and use. This is what it has to say about legacy family tree:
https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibili ... pp#results
So might be worth a shot with wine. Given you are using an old version (3) is it 32 bit? In that case you will need to install with a 32 bit wine prefix. Long time since I used wine, so hopefully someone else can chip in and tell you how to install. There are add-on/helper programs for wine like playonlinux and bottles to make life easier, but not the right person to advise. A while since I did anything on the family tree and mostly I just use ancestry.co.uk. Ancestris was the best linux software I found.

Your other alternative to win stuff you can't do without and can't find a suitable linux alternative* is to run them in a VM (virtual machine). I have a win7 VM for office2016 and coreldraw, but I hardly ever use it now.
Fearful of perhaps losing 35 years of data spread over 18 partitions in three 1TB SSDs, I made clones and backed everything up to external drives.
There is a lot of linux backup software. For starters, timeshift is installed by default - think of it like a win restore point, use it but point it at an ext4 partition on another drive for your snapshots. For data files (contents of home), too many to list, I use backintime (install from software manager), works like timeshift, takes snapshots so point at an ext4 partition on another drive as the destination. A bit of info:
viewtopic.php?p=2397295#p2397295
Timeshift/backintime are file level backup utilities, for image backup or cloning there is foxclone, rescuezilla or clonezilla.

With that many partitions, you need to get a handle on the linux filesystem, very different to win, no drive letters:
https://www.linuxfoundation.org/blog/bl ... -explained
and how to mount partitions via fstab (a file read by the system on boot, it mounts what it finds in there).

Enough to begin with, Linux can be a steep learning curve, but it is worth it.

* ask here, what is an alternative to xxxx?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
MarRob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MarRob »

Wow! Thanks for all those leads, Andy. It'll take me time to work through them - once I get back into Mint! At the moment it refuses to accept my password. Thank heavens Win-7 still works.
NM64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NM64 »

Sounds like the perfect excuse to re-install with Mint 21.3. :P

But, on the subject of Wine, even the normal version is quite simple to install (most users would be fine with "stable", but sometimes "staging" is required—the classic visual novel Ever17 is an easy example that comes to mind):
And to then get the proper menu entries for Wine in mint, install from Mint's software manager "wine-installer" (it should be the only result if you search for that exact phrase but without quotes, the icon being a white Windows logo rotated 45 degrees).

After Wine is installed, you can simply double-click on an EXE program like you would on Windows and, if it's compatible, then it should "just work."

For Firefox and Thunderbird, you might actually be able to just directly copy-and-paste the profile directories for either straight from Windows onto Linux (into their proper locations of course, typically located something in /home/[username]/.thunderbird and /home/[username]/.mozilla/firefox (folders beginning with a period are hidden, so you might need to show hidden files via the "View" menu).

Oh and, regarding device drivers, it does not matter if the devices were on or off because drivers should be dynamically loaded any time at boot when the device is on as they're generally stored within the Linux kernel itself. This means that you can even boot your Linux hard drive on a completely different computer and it will generally "just work"... well, mostly. You're using Nvidia graphics which is the one big niggle in that I've found—switching between any combination of Intel or AMD graphics, CPUs, and/or motherboards will all "just work", but Nvidia on Linux is kind of a bit notorious at times (though I think you're 560 is right at the sweet-spot where it actually has decent kernel support—if you go to older or newer Nvidia hardware, then problems can arise).

(by the way, that CPU is an FX Bulldozer or FX Piledriver, isn't it? As someone with a 3.6GHz Phenom II x4 which has relatively comparable single-threaded performance on my family's "workstation PC" due to readily-available ECC support on the cheap, I can only say "good luck" with today's javascript-heavy internet... I don't know about shipping to over there, but used LGA1150 4core/8thread Xeon CPUs go for darned cheap nowadays and was a $30 upgrade to my personal LGA1150-based PC with a dual-core Pentium, but of course I already had an LGA1150 motherboard...)

That being said, a "cheap" way to get use of those 8 CPU threads and get the most of that "mere" 8GB of RAM is to install the package "zram-config" (without quotes) in the package manager which basically is a take on the old meme "download more RAM!". Seriously though, it literally just compresses your RAM when it starts getting filled up, letting it behave as if you had more RAM than you actually do (albeit a bit slower than more actual physical RAM, though still much faster than swapping to even an SSD).
CPU: Xeon E3-1246 v3 (4c/8t Haswell/Intel 4th gen) — core & cache @ 3.9GHz via multicore enhancement
GPU: Intel integrated HD Graphics P4600
RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengence @ DDR3-1600
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the Linux Mint forum,
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Introduce Yourself”