Move Mint to an external drive?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
user0_user0
Level 1
Level 1

Move Mint to an external drive?

Post by user0_user0 »

I currently have it installed on my internal SSD but I want to transfer everything to an external drive, preferably without losing any settings and user files along the way. Is that possible? The goal is to be able to then transfer it on another machine's internal drive later so I'm open to other suggestions too!
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Move Mint to an external drive?

Post by diabolicbg »

Welcome to the user0_user0 forum!
Use Foxclone to make a disk image of the existing installation on the external disk.
Then with the same program you can move instalation from the external drive to the new computer and everything will work.
Download Foxclone from here: https://www.foxclone.org/

Download and install on a large Ventoy flash drive. Then just copy /do not install/ Ventoy's Foxclone. Boot the computer with Ventoy, run Foxclone and copy the installation to the external drive.
https://github.com/ventoy/Ventoy/releases
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Behind every faulty computer there is a user who did nothing...
user0_user0
Level 1
Level 1

Post by user0_user0 »

Thank you for the reply! I will post what I did so far, hopefully it can serve as a guide if everything works:

1. Downloaded Ventoy. Installed it on a USB flash drive to make it bootable.
2. Downloaded Foxclone (an ISO file) and simply copied it onto the Ventoy USB drive.
3. Booted the old machine through the Ventoy USB, selected the Foxclone ISO -> Boot in normal mode
4. This opened a desktop environment. I plugged in an external hard drive, launched the Foxclone app and via the Backup option made a backup of my internal drive onto the external.
5. Optional: cloned the internal drive to another external drive just in case.

I will follow up this post with another one when I get the new machine. Will also mark as solved if that goes well :)
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

user0_user0 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:16 am Thank you for the reply! I will post what I did so far, hopefully it can serve as a guide if everything works:

1. Downloaded Ventoy. Installed it on a USB flash drive to make it bootable.
2. Downloaded Foxclone (an ISO file) and simply copied it onto the Ventoy USB drive.
3. Booted the old machine through the Ventoy USB, selected the Foxclone ISO -> Boot in normal mode
4. This opened a desktop environment. I plugged in an external hard drive, launched the Foxclone app and via the Backup option made a backup of my internal drive onto the external.
5. Optional: cloned the internal drive to another external drive just in case.

I will follow up this post with another one when I get the new machine. Will also mark as solved if that goes well :)
Excellent! Cheers! :D
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Behind every faulty computer there is a user who did nothing...

Return to “Storage”