LMDE 6 - Kernel - Backports

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
justhelp
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE 6 - Kernel - Backports

Post by justhelp »

Hey,

under LMDE 6, the "backports" are automatically included. However, when I search for linux-image in the application manager, the latest kernel is: "linux-image-6.4.0-0.deb12.2-cloud-amd64" or rather "6.4.4-3~bpo12+1"

But at https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/linux it says that "6.5.3-1~bpo12+1" is currently in the stable backports...

why does LMDE debian backports differ from the actual debian backports? or how is the tracker to be understood at all?

Does anyone know when the 6.5 kernel will be available in the LMDE backports? Is there any chance at all or does the LMDE backport status remain at the status of the LMDE installation?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: LMDE 6 - Kernel - Backports

Post by xenopeek »

justhelp wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:45 pm when I search for linux-image in the application manager
What is "application manager"?

To find backports use the tips at https://wiki.debian.org/Backports#Finding_backports, and for installing see the next section there.

The package system won't install a package from backports unless you explicitly say to install from there, and only after do you get future updates for that package from backports. Mind that packages from backports come from testing or unstable so aren't managed by the security team and don't have the same support as packages from stable. Don't install from backports unless you know it solves a blocking issue for you.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Execute sudo apt install -t bookworm-backports linux-image-amd64 in a terminal.
This command will always install the latest kernel from debian backports. "linux-image-amd64" is a metapackage that will pull all dependencies needed (headers, kernel build package etc). No need for any extra command contrary to what some old guides would state.
Software Manager apparently lists only kernels available at the time of LMDE 6 release :?:
justhelp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by justhelp »

Hey thank you both.

@xenopeek Yeah meant software manager, sorry didnt know the correct translation

But it's really funny now. I entered

Code: Select all

"apt show package-name -a
" and then I got the 6.5 kernel and then it also appeared in the software manager.

a few days ago i tried exactly that with "

sudo apt install -t bookworm-backports linux-image-amd64
" what @MiZoG wrote and then it installed the 6.4 kernel for me...

now i typed again "

sudo apt install -t bookworm-backports linux-image-amd64
" and now i have exactly that 6.5 kernel, which i wanted ...

Strange, because according to https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/linux the kernel was already added to the backports on
[2023-10-18] Accepted linux 6.5.3-1~bpo12+1 (source) into stable-backports (Debian FTP Masters) (signed by: Ben Hutchings)

So I wonder why it worked now and not a few days ago?

But thanks to both of you anyway.

PS: Do you have experience with newer kernels from the backports? Were there any problems or did everything run smoothly?
Zapruder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zapruder »

Thanks for the support! I follow this post and i get it! Thank you!
LMdE+liquorix kernel
jayleemor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jayleemor »

xenopeek wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:02 pm
justhelp wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:45 pm when I search for linux-image in the application manager
What is "application manager"?

To find backports use the tips at https://wiki.debian.org/Backports#Finding_backports, and for installing see the next section there.

The package system won't install a package from backports unless you explicitly say to install from there, and only after do you get future updates for that package from backports. Mind that packages from backports come from testing or unstable so aren't managed by the security team and don't have the same support as packages from stable. Don't install from backports unless you know it solves a blocking issue for you.
I am fairly new to using linux as a whole, not very good at troubleshooting on my own. My desktop is used for gaming, no important files or tasks. Based on the stability issue in your comment, is there a big difference in gaming performance on LMDE 6 with backported kernel and newer nvidia driver? Would it be worth it? I do not play the latest games, mostly older ones.

Return to “Beginner Questions”