Beginner tip: making a bootable USB drive in Mint 21.2

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
rc45
Level 1
Level 1

Beginner tip: making a bootable USB drive in Mint 21.2

Post by rc45 »

Making a bootable USB drive (e.g. for installing Linux on another computer) in Mint 21.2 is really easy: the included tool can do almost everything for you.
Just download the .iso file, right-click on it & select 'Make bootable USB'.
You can also check the integrity & authenticity of the .iso file within the tool (see the 'Verify' button in the picture),
usb-i-w.png
which isn't currently spelled out in the official installation Guide; you'll need to download the checksum .txt & .gpg files into the same folder as the .iso file to do this.
But with this version of the app/tool the whole thing could hardly be easier - another example of the great included software of Linux Mint!
Hope this helps someone.

(edited for clarity, accuracy & detail)
Last edited by rc45 on Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Beginner tip: making a bootable USB drive in Mint

Post by SMG »

rc45 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:19 pm Making a bootable USB drive (e.g. for installing Mint on a computer) in Mint is really easy: there is a specific tool for it.
Just download the .iso file, right-click on it & select 'Make bootable USB'.
That's all! You can even check the integrity & authenticity of the .iso file within the tool. It could hardly be easier.
Hope this helps someone.
Or you could just follow the Linux Mint Installation Guide.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
rc45
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rc45 »

Or you could just follow the Linux Mint Installation Guide.
Yes, but if someone already has Mint installed, then using the included app is quicker & easier, and I hadn't seen the presence or use of it pointed out recently.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

rc45 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:34 pm... I hadn't seen the presence or use of it pointed out recently.
That is because you didn't click the link I provided. Click it. Then under the Live Boot heading click the "Create the bootable media" link. The first option explains how to do it in Linux Mint with screenshots of the tool.

Here is the direct link to that page.
rc45
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rc45 »

You're not entirely correct - I actually did click on your original link, but not the page in your second link.
But your main point is of course correct ( :oops: me), it does talk about the USB Image tool there (but it doesn't mention the integrity & authenticity checks - maybe they were added later?)
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

rc45 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:59 am(but it doesn't mention the integrity & authenticity checks - maybe they were added later?)
There is a link to Verify your ISO image on the main installation webpage. Verifying is done before burning the ISO to the usb.

It's possible the verification page doesn't mention the tool because not all versions of the tool have all the features. I cannot do all the steps on my LM20.3 install with that tool. Some are still done through terminal.
rc45
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Beginner tip: making a bootable USB drive in Mint 21.2

Post by rc45 »

Note: I've edited the title & original post to reflect the subsequent input.
spedigre
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Beginner tip: making a bootable USB drive in Mint 21.2

Post by spedigre »

Hope this helps someone
This helped me immensely rc45. After managing to download ISO files for Mint 21.3 and also for Mint 21.3 "Edge" (with USB Image Writer) I struggled for the better part of a day to verify the first of these using the terminal. After reading your very helpful post, verifying the second of these files was a breeze. I had not realized before that USB Image Writer could be used to verify the check sum with a simple right click of the mouse. Now I know, thanks to you!

Return to “Tutorials”