NordVPN failing to authentificate when connecting via Network Manager

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
obsidian
Level 1
Level 1

NordVPN failing to authentificate when connecting via Network Manager

Post by obsidian »

Hi all!

Recently made the plunge to LMDE 6 and loving it so far.

The only snag I have faced is setting up my VPN. I'm trying to add my VPN via the Network Manager, I import the OpenVPN config file from the provider (NordVPN) just fine, but when I try to use it authentication keeps failing.

Now, I'm 100% sure I'm using the correct login details as they work on the website and on my phone, so I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

If anyone could offer some assistance, that would be amazing.

Thank you!
prince2phor59
Level 1
Level 1

Re: NordVPN failing to authentificate when connecting via Network Manager

Post by prince2phor59 »

Is it a LMDE 6 fresh install or an upgrade 5 to 6?

I use cyberghost vpn and it didn't work with LMDE 5 through network manager.
Triple boot LMDE 6 mate - Linux Mint 21.3 mate - Windows 11 - I've been using Linux Mint since 2009 " Linux Mint 7 Gloria" was the name.
obsidian
Level 1
Level 1

Post by obsidian »

Fresh LMDE 6 install!
KodiakCanoe
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KodiakCanoe »

obsidian wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:45 pm Now, I'm 100% sure I'm using the correct login details as they work on the website
For manual OpenVPN connections you'll need to use your NordVPN "Service Credentials" instead of your NordAccount email/password. Details on how to get your credentials are in this guide: https://support.nordvpn.com/hc/en-us/ar ... rk-Manager

If you haven't used the Nord app in a while there have been a lot of improvements and it works great for me. Makes it easier to change locations and has other features such as the KillSwitch, Meshnet, etc. and can use the NordLynx (WireGuard) protocol.
obsidian
Level 1
Level 1

Post by obsidian »

I have actually never used the native app since it's just command line and while I can fiddle with the terminal, I try to avoid it...

That said, I'll give it a shot!
KodiakCanoe
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KodiakCanoe »

obsidian wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:42 pm I have actually never used the native app since it's just command line and while I can fiddle with the terminal, I try to avoid it...
If you're new to the Nord command syntax you may want to try this bash script, it also includes brief descriptions of the various features. It's easy to customize even if you're not very familiar with bash. I tested it briefly on LMDE with gnome-terminal and it works fine but my daily OS is standard Mint Cinnamon. https://github.com/ph202107/nordlist
Good Luck!
obsidian
Level 1
Level 1

Post by obsidian »

Oh, this is very nice!

Thanks!
tonywhelan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tonywhelan »

KodiakCanoe wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:30 pm
For manual OpenVPN connections you'll need to use your NordVPN "Service Credentials" instead of your NordAccount email/password. Details on how to get your credentials are in this guide: https://support.nordvpn.com/hc/en-us/ar ... rk-Manager
On LM 21.3 Cinnamon. This used to work on an earlier version of Mint, but now I cannot get Network Manager to authenticate for NordVPN. I double-checked that I followed the instructions on the linked address above but no deal. But I only use NordVPN occasionally and the Chrome extension works fine so I'm not bothered about this.

EDIT: Problem solved. I had not realised there was a procedure for getting service credentials, I have now followed that and it works. Thanks KodiakCanoe for your information
Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon household.
If your issue is solved, please edit your first post in the topic, adding [SOLVED] to the title.
KodiakCanoe
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KodiakCanoe »

tonywhelan wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:53 pm EDIT: Problem solved.
Great! I was just about to hit "post reply" and I saw your update. I'll leave these comments for posterity:

Are you getting an authentication error? If you're using your "Service Credentials" and not your email then it might help to change your NordAccount email/password which should also update the Credentials.

I have a fresh install of Mint 21.3. The new Network Manager looks a bit different from the posted guide. In "Network-Connections" click the plus sign (+) and then scroll all the way to the bottom for "Import a saved VPN configuration".

I have an OpenVPN config file for Chicago (us8384.nordvpn.com.udp.ovpn) so I clicked on that. Authentication type is "Password". I entered my username and password (Service Credentials) and didn't change any other settings. It connects OK with no errors, my external IP is in Chicago, and no DNS leaks. It seems to be working fine.

If you're familiar with bash, in the repo posted above is a script called "test.proxy.sh". That can be an easy way to test if your username and password are valid.

Return to “Networking”