Canon MP560 printer - gets stuck on "processing"

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Canon MP560 printer - gets stuck on "processing"

Post by br1anstorm »

I have recently been suffering problems when trying to print on my Canon MP560 from my computer (running LMDE5, and previously Mint 19.3).

The printer is connected via my router using wifi, and has a fixed URL. It is driven using the CUPS printer drivers, and the Mint scanner app, and has for many years worked flawlessly, both as a printer and a scanner. When it's good it's very good, when it's bad it's horrid!

The problem is a slightly odd one. When I send a job for printing (having switched the printer on), it shows on the computer screen as "processing". But the job doesn't seem to get through to, or show up on, the printer display. Nothing happens. Stalemate.

In trying to unblock this, I have found that - often - if I shut down the computer (without cancelling the print job, and leaving the printer switched on) and then boot the computer up again, it seems to trigger or release the print job, and the file gets printed. Sometimes I have to shut down both computer and printer and then switch them both on again (with the print job still queued); that then results in the print job going ahead.

This is a tedious irritant rather than a major disaster. But it is pretty inconvenient. Any ideas on why it is happening and how I might re-establish normal printing on demand without all this switching off-and-on, would be welcome.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Canon MP560 printer - gets stuck on "processing"

Post by AZgl1800 »

had that problem many times,
I have quit trying to install the printer in Linux.

I now, install the printer with Windows, and lock it to a WiFi signal.

then when booting up Mint, it finds the printer and works just fine.
works with 20.3 and 21.3, don't know about 19.x
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

Thanks @AZgl1800...

Do I deduce from your response that you have a dual-boot arrangement with Windows and Linux Mint on the same computer, and that installing the printer with Windows then somehow renders it "visible" in Mint?

And what exactly do you mean by "locking it to a WiFi signal"?

Just trying to figure out exactly what I might try to do differently to my present setup to get a more seamless and glitch free printer operation....
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

br1anstorm wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:10 pm Thanks @AZgl1800...

Do I deduce from your response that you have a dual-boot arrangement with Windows and Linux Mint on the same computer, and that installing the printer with Windows then somehow renders it "visible" in Mint?
yes, my Laptop is Dual boot on two separate drives.
OEM is Win10
2nd drive is LM21.3
* initially with printer fresh out of box, Mint could not see it at all.
**** this is because the printer was NOT configured to monitor any WiFi for print requests

* so I rebooted into Win10 and installed the printer with the URL supplied by Canon.

br1anstorm wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:10 pm And what exactly do you mean by "locking it to a WiFi signal"?
* in the Canon printer setup, the printer is configured to use only one (1) WiFi channel, it will NOT respond to requests from any other WiFi channel.

so, installing the printer via Win10 causes the Canon printer to be looking for any Print Requests on that one specific WiFi channel.

After the printer setup was completed ( in Win10 ), it was then monitoring the Configured WiFi channel for print requests, and when LM21.3 booted up, it finds the printer and configures Mint to print to it.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

It is NOT necessary for the " same computer " to install the printer.

Only that it be a Windows PC so that it can use the Setup Information from Canon via the URL supplied by Canon.
* so if necessary, borrow a Windows PC/laptop and set up the Canon printer...

happily for me, my laptop is Dual Boot.

one Caveat:
do NOT get in a hurry while the Windows PC/laptop is trying to set up the Canon printer, it is a laborious process of it searching through ALL of the Available WiFi signals in the area.

for me, here in my sister's home, she has Six (6) WiFi signals... yes 6 ....
So, Canon's setup requests has to search thru all of those signals trying to locate the printer.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”