Questions about IDE's for Linux.

About programming and getting involved with Linux Mint development
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GARRETT1
Level 2
Level 2

Questions about IDE's for Linux.

Post by GARRETT1 »

Hi Folks,

If I wanted to develop in C/C++, is there a "WindowBuilder" type of plugin (screen designer with widgets) for Eclipse?

Also, is there an easy way to install GTK+/GTK? Like, is there an 'installer' program somewhere?
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The Muffin Man
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Questions about IDE's for Linux.

Post by The Muffin Man »

I can't speak to the "Window Builder".
However, I write C/C++ code with NetBeans, gtk+ and gdb. All found in synaptic.
"Go ahead. I don't shop here."
GARRETT1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GARRETT1 »

The Muffin Man wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:03 pm I can't speak to the "Window Builder".
Thanks bud, I haven't looked into NetBeans yet... I will check it out!
GARRETT1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GARRETT1 »

GARRETT1 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:16 pm
The Muffin Man wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:03 pm I can't speak to the "Window Builder".
Can you show me an easy way to get the C/C++ plug-ins for NetBeans? I've got version 10 installed on Linux/Mint/Cinnamon. But, I don't see any references to C/C++ off of 'Tools' or anywhere else... If I go to Apache's website, it looks like the most recent version of NetBeans is 19?
GARRETT1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GARRETT1 »

Well, I did uninstall vers. 10 and installed 19 instead. It does have some C/C++ plugin in there. But, I don't see any widgets/buttons, etc., for creating GUI screeens, with drag-and-drop capability... It looks like this is not a full IDE for C anyway... Let me know if there is a way to get a GUI designer in here...
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

I don;t do ANY development these days, but I still keep some of my later web stuff (but nothing of java or C for quite a few years).

However out of curiosity I had a quick look for Eclipse stuff. You might find something in amongst the stuff they talk about here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... or+eclipse

Then again you might not. If you do though, there's a chance it will be 'reasonably' current.

This one for example, talks about adding 'Window Builder' to Eclipse once that has been installed. That might probably give you the dragon droppings you were looking for . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HChmKwOUzw
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
GARRETT1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GARRETT1 »

rossdv8 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:04 pm I don;t do ANY development these days, but I still keep some of my later web stuff (but nothing of java or C for quite a few years).

However out of curiosity I had a quick look for Eclipse stuff. You might find something in amongst the stuff they talk about here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... or+eclipse

Then again you might not. If you do though, there's a chance it will be 'reasonably' current.

This one for example, talks about adding 'Window Builder' to Eclipse once that has been installed. That might probably give you the dragon droppings you were looking for . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HChmKwOUzw
I'm pretty sure that Eclipse only has WindowBuilder for the Java version. If you install the C/C++ version of Eclipse, it doesn't have any widgets or a GUI screen builder. NetBeans looks like it doesn't have a GUI screen builder either, for C/C++.
The Muffin Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by The Muffin Man »

GARRETT1 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:46 pm
GARRETT1 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:16 pm
Can you show me an easy way to get the C/C++ plug-ins for NetBeans? I've got version 10 installed on Linux/Mint/Cinnamon. But, I don't see any references to C/C++ off of 'Tools' or anywhere else... If I go to Apache's website, it looks like the most recent version of NetBeans is 19?
I installed NetBeans from https://netbeans.apache.org/
I believe the C/C++ is already included. If not, you can load it through the Tools->Plugins menu option.
GARRETT1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GARRETT1 »

I do have NetBeans installed. Got it from the same link you have there. I installed the only C plugin I could find. Wrote a little C program. But, I don't see any GUI screen builder with drag-n-drop widgets... Still haven't found out if it will compile my program... I see a 'Run' button, but that doesn't compile the program.
The Muffin Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by The Muffin Man »

GARRETT1 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:01 am I do have NetBeans installed. Got it from the same link you have there. I installed the only C plugin I could find. Wrote a little C program. But, I don't see any GUI screen builder with drag-n-drop widgets... Still haven't found out if it will compile my program... I see a 'Run' button, but that doesn't compile the program.
I can't speak to the "Window Builder".
GARRETT1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GARRETT1 »

NetBeans doesn't have "WindowBuilder". That's Eclipse. And Eclipse only has it for JAVA, not C, as far as I can tell. Have you any experience with a GUI screen designer in C/C++? Like with Apache NetBeans?
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dave0808 »

I've not done any GUI work in C/C++ for a loooong time and even then it was hand-crafted.

I would imagine if such a thing exists for any of the main IDEs, it will be referenced by which ever toolkit/framework you want to use (Gtk, Qt, KDE etc). With that in mind, there may be much more information on the websites for those frameworks.

As an aside, the Eclipse GUI Builder for Java uses the Swing toolkit (or used too when I last looked), where as the "standard" is supposed to be Java-FX nowadays, which can be styled with a version of CSS.
8 ball
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 8 ball »

dave0808 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:48 am I would imagine if such a thing exists for any of the main IDEs, it will be referenced by which ever toolkit/framework you want to use (Gtk, Qt, KDE etc). With that in mind, there may be much more information on the websites for those frameworks.
Dave's answer is on-point. Forget Swing or JavaFX for C/C++ dev - they're designed for use with Java.

Qt is pretty nice and if you want to go the Qt route, QtCreator is free and will give you a nice IDE with a built in GUI designer.
Visual Studio Code has plugins for Avalonia UI I believe if you want to use that toolkit - although it can take a bit to set VS code up with the right plugins to get decent functionality.

If you've got money to spend, Jetbrains Ryder is the gold standard IDE on Linux and will most likely do whatever you want. It's on par with Visual Studio (full version.)

I found Eclipse pretty poor when I tried it.
Drugwash
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Drugwash »

You can build a Gtk3 GUI using Glade 3.22 (official page only offers a Flatpak version but there may be a classic package in Mint). However I remember reading that interfacing C/C++ code with Builder code may be a tad difficult.
I use Glade-designed GUIs with Python, it works fairly well for me.

Indeed it all depends which desktop you're targeting most as a Qt interface might require a lot of dependencies in Mint, for example, compared to Gtk which is native to Mint. Maybe wxWidgets and CodeLite IDE would be the way to go for cross-platform code.
tortellini88
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tortellini88 »

I mean there are several, Atom was one of my personal favorites for simple things but now I use VSCode.

Some more general IDE's are
Atom
VSCode
SublimeText (kind of?)
brackets.io
Komodo IDE
https://linuxman.co/linux-software/best ... ternative/

Some more geared towards Python but can be used for other languages, too.
Spyder
JetBrains IDE's
PyCharm
https://linuxman.co/linux-software/best ... y-in-2022/

My personal Go-To's are JetBrains stuff (if its free to use), VSCode of course and in some instances Komodo. But a lot of these are worth a try, idk if there's a "good" one, just whatever works for you.
BwingBob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BwingBob »

GARRETT1 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:38 am Hi Folks,

If I wanted to develop in C/C++, is there a "WindowBuilder" type of plugin (screen designer with widgets) for Eclipse?

Also, is there an easy way to install GTK+/GTK? Like, is there an 'installer' program somewhere?
It's not really a plugin for Eclipse but you might take a look at wxFormBuilder https://github.com/wxFormBuilder/wxFormBuilder.

I have not used it for C/C++, mostly Python. The work flow is to build the base of your gui using the Builder, dump the source code for the design. In your application you derive your gui from the classes in the builder code and add your application logic to this derived class. This workflow allows you to modify the design without wiping out your application logic.

I prefer wxBuilder over Glade because the output is the actual source code to build the widgets, not XML to be used by some builder object. Since your code classes are derived from the classes in the builder output, the derived class is free to modify almost anything in the base class does not function/look etc. the way you want.

On Linux the underlying widget set is GTK on Windows it's WinForms so everything looks native.

Good luck.
Bob
Pop_OS! 22.04 {Dell Inspiron 15 5510}
Linux Mint Cinnamon 21 {Minisforum UM700}
Pop_OS! Thelio Mira ;-)
We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo
GARRETT1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GARRETT1 »

BwingBob wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:07 pm
GARRETT1 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:38 am Hi Folks,

It's not really a plugin for Eclipse but you might take a look at wxFormBuilder https://github.com/wxFormBuilder/wxFormBuilder.

I have not used it for C/C++, mostly Python. The work flow is to build the base of your gui using the Builder, dump the source code for the design. In your application you derive your gui from the classes in the builder code and add your application logic to this derived class. This workflow allows you to modify the design without wiping out your application logic.

I prefer wxBuilder over Glade because the output is the actual source code to build the widgets, not XML to be used by some builder object. Since your code classes are derived from the classes in the builder output, the derived class is free to modify almost anything in the base class does not function/look etc. the way you want.

On Linux the underlying widget set is GTK on Windows it's WinForms so everything looks native.

Good luck.
Bob
Thanks Bob! I'll check into it... :)

Return to “Programming & Development”