[SOLVED]Printer detected but not scanner

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
failinghardsorry
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED]Printer detected but not scanner

Post by failinghardsorry »

Hi,
I have an old MFC-490CW I mostly want to use for scanning documents but I can't get mint to detect the scanner. The printer is detected but not the scanner. I've try to download the scanner driver from brother website but it didn't change anything, is there anything else special I've to do to get this to work ?
thank you .
Last edited by failinghardsorry on Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Printer detected but not scanner

Post by coffee412 »

Your printer allows wlan,lan,and usb connections. I recommend using a network cable and hooking it up to your router for connectivity. Reason I mention this is because you will have a lot fewer connection issues if you do it this way. Also, It will be faster to print and scan to/from.

Download the driver install tool. Make sure the printer is connected to your network and then print out a report that shows how the printer is connected and what IP address it has. You will need this.

Next, Run the driver install tool. At a certain point it will ask how the printer is connected. Choose the option to supply the IP address of the printer. Then finish up the install. Run a test page real quick to make sure its working to print. Then open up "Document Scanner" also known as "Simple Scan" and see if it finds the scanner.

If you run into trouble then first thing to do is just reboot and then start Simple Scan again and see if it finds the printer/scanner.

Report back.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
failinghardsorry
Level 1
Level 1

coffee412 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:57 pm Your printer allows wlan,lan,and usb connections. I recommend using a network cable and hooking it up to your router for connectivity. Reason I mention this is because you will have a lot fewer connection issues if you do it this way. Also, It will be faster to print and scan to/from.

Download the driver install tool. Make sure the printer is connected to your network and then print out a report that shows how the printer is connected and what IP address it has. You will need this.

Next, Run the driver install tool. At a certain point it will ask how the printer is connected. Choose the option to supply the IP address of the printer. Then finish up the install. Run a test page real quick to make sure its working to print. Then open up "Document Scanner" also known as "Simple Scan" and see if it finds the scanner.

If you run into trouble then first thing to do is just reboot and then start Simple Scan again and see if it finds the printer/scanner.

Report back.
thank you.

is there a reason you like network cable over usb ? Also I installed the drivers independently, the driver install tool is a text file I am not sure how to run it to be honest.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

is there a reason you like network cable over usb ? Also I installed the drivers independently, the driver install tool is a text file I am not sure how to run it to be honest.
Using a wired connection is faster and more reliable than a wireless connection. You also do not have to fiddle with security as you do with wireless. Also, Sharing the printer is extremely easy with other devices on the network since they all have access to the network. It should be your go to way of connecting a networked printer.

The driver tool is a script to automate the process.

Uncompress the *.gz file. You can do this by right clicking and looking for "uncompress here". I am using the Mate desktop so it may be different for you.
You should see similar to this - Notice the permissions. Its not executable :

Code: Select all

-rw-rw-r-- 1 coffee coffee 143001 Feb  6 13:14 linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1
The uncompressed file is not executable at this point. So, Lets make it executable - Open a term window and move to the directory the file was uncompressed too. Then issue this command:

sudo chmod +x linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1
Now run the file:

sudo ./linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
failinghardsorry
Level 1
Level 1

coffee412 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:21 pm Using a wired connection is faster and more reliable than a wireless connection. You also do not have to fiddle with security as you do with wireless. Also, Sharing the printer is extremely easy with other devices on the network since they all have access to the network. It should be your go to way of connecting a networked printer.

The driver tool is a script to automate the process.

Uncompress the *.gz file. You can do this by right clicking and looking for "uncompress here". I am using the Mate desktop so it may be different for you.
You should see similar to this - Notice the permissions. Its not executable :

-rw-rw-r-- 1 coffee coffee 143001 Feb  6 13:14 linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1
The uncompressed file is not executable at this point. So, Lets make it executable - Open a term window and move to the directory the file was uncompressed too. Then issue this command:

sudo chmod +x linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1
Now run the file:

sudo ./linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1
after reboot I have a scanner.

thank you.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

failinghardsorry wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:08 pm after reboot I have a scanner.

thank you.
Iam glad I could help. :)

Please remember to mark your post as [SOLVED] so that others will know. :)

Return to “Printers & Scanners”