Size of / of a typical LMDE installation

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deedend
Level 1
Level 1

Size of / of a typical LMDE installation

Post by deedend »

Hello everyone,

I am new to Mint, I got some past experience in Linux, I ran Debian Woody then Sid as my main personal OS for a couple of years, back in the days, but then switched back to Windows and forgot most of the things I learnt; I've now decided to install GNU/Linux LMDE 6 on my T480, to use it aside Arch (which I am using as a learning tool). I reserved 20Gb to the "/" partition, but apparently, this is not enough: it has already fulfilled it (installed just a couple of flatpaks and not much else). Am I missing something, or 20Gb is not enough for GNU/Linux Mint? My /home directory is on a separated partition, so it's not that my files are fulfilling the system one.

Thanks for any hint.
Last edited by karlchen on Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Thread moved from "Main Edition" (based on Ubuntu) to "LMDE Forums"
bin
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Size of / of a typical LMDE installation

Post by bin »

Out of the box my LMDE is at just over 9gb on a 25gb partition.

Don't use Flatpaks so cannot comment on your experience further
Shiva
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Shiva »

deedend wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:06 am Thanks for any hint.
Hi,
The best possible hint is the one of the distro team :

Code: Select all

System requirements:

2GB RAM (4GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
    20GB of disk space (100GB recommended).
    1024×768 resolution (on lower resolutions, press ALT to drag windows with the mouse if they don’t fit in the screen).
More : https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4570

Seems that a 20 Gb partition is the bare minimum and implies only system packages (no Flatpak or AppImage) and no big data files (such as a 5GB mkv movie).

You can also run baobab from your CLI and see what takes that space or even with pure CLI. One way could be :

Code: Select all

find $HOME -type f -ls | sort -k 7 | head -n 15
returning 15 largest files in your $HOME directory and its subdirs.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Always had a separate /home partition. My system drive is currently 1TB, / is 40GB and about 50% used with a lot installed, but I don't use flatpaks. Back when I booted from a 240GB SSD, / was 30GB.

With a small / partition do not use timeshift with the defaults, default snapshot location is /timeshift. Save your snapshots on an ext4 partition on another drive.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
trinidad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trinidad »

My latest Faye Cinnamon (with only an SSH server added) checks in at 14G. Lately I've been using 24G as a starting disk size and 4G of RAM for virtualization with Cinnamon and/or gnome stuff which weigh in about the same. By comparison Bunsenlabs openbox (with SSH server and gThumb added) checks in at around 7G. Devuan default is around 6G though this is without systemd. DE is most of the weight difference in distros and non-systemd distros are a little lighter usually about a Gig. Linux Lite (XFCE) right in the middle is about 10G.

TC

Return to “Beginner Questions”