How to detect/hook system signals or events (enter-event)?

About programming and getting involved with Linux Mint development
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Drugwash
Level 5
Level 5

How to detect/hook system signals or events (enter-event)?

Post by Drugwash »

Thought I should try my luck here. The IRC channel was like a graveyard: overpopulated but utterly silent.

I'm working on a Cinnamon Extension and there's one thing missing that would make it [almost] perfect.
It needs to detect a window crossing signal or event (not sure which): enter-event, captured-event, notify-enter-event or something entirely different.
Tried a lot of combinations using SignalManager or directly connecting window actors to functions, but nothing works. :(

So, can anyone here please tell me what exactly should I put in the code in order to detect the mouse cursor moving from one (focused) window to another (unfocused)? I know the system can do it, there is/was(?) that option in Window settings for focusing windows (click/sloppy/mouse), so theoretically it should also be doable through Spices. Practically I'm trying to achieve the same result but with a small twist.

EDIT: Small change to the title, maybe it wasn't clear it is a question. Really, nobody knows this stuff...? :(

Return to “Programming & Development”