I tried Debian XFCE and Xubuntu today

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Re: I tried Debian XFCE and Xubuntu today

Post by Night Wing »

I am still playing around with Debian 12.4 (Bookworm) in the Xfce desktop environment.

When you want to find your system's information, when using Mint Xfce, bring up the Menu, then in System, you click on the System Reports icon and then go to System Information. System Reports is installed by default in Mint Xfce.

When you want to find out your system's information, when using MX Linux Xfce, bring up the Menu, then click on MX Tools. When that opens up, you have to navigate to Quick Systems Info, click on it and your system's info comes up. Again, installed by default.

But in Debian 12 with Xfce, finding your system's info is a hunting expedition because it is not installed by default. You can find it by using the linux Terminal or using the Synaptic Package Manager.

I use both to find my system's info in Debian Xfce.

In Debian, I use the Synaptic Package Manager and using Search, I type in "inxi" (without the quote marks). It comes up and you'll find it is not installed. Right click on it which brings up a context menu. Then you click on, Mark for installation, then click on Apply and then Apply again at the prompt and "inxi" is installed.

Then using the Terminal, I type in:

Code: Select all

sudo inxi -FM
hit my Enter key, type in my password, hit my Enter key again and my system's info is displayed in Debian 12 Xfce. BTW, The letters "FM" are capitalized. And don't forget the space after "inxi".

But your system's information should be installed by default in Debian Xfce. You should not have to go "hunting" for it if you get my drift.

If one goes on YouTube and looks for reviews of Debian 12, they say it is the best version of Debian ever. This may be true in the Gnome desktop environment for Debian, but it is not true, in my opinion, when using Xfce.

In Debian 12 with Xfce, there is too much "hunting" for things to install, again, in my opinion.

In closing, both Mint and MX Linux have the better distro, in my opinion, when using Xfce than Debian does because one does not have to do much "hunting" in both Mint and MX Linux.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: I tried Debian XFCE and Xubuntu today

Post by Hoser Rob »

I don't mind 'hunting' a bit, I've never ever used a distro that had everything I wanted OOTB.

And I actually kind of like a smaller set of pre installed software, that's fewer apps I don't like that I have to purge and autoremove. It makes for a more efficient setup.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Chat about Linux”