Unable to install VirtualBox on Mint 21.3 [Solved]

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JohanHarmsen
Level 1
Level 1

Unable to install VirtualBox on Mint 21.3 [Solved]

Post by JohanHarmsen »

I tried to install VirtualBox on my newly installed Mint 21.3 version from the packages supplied in synaptic.
This did not succeed because the kernel module, from package virtualbox-dkms, fails to compile.
In /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/6.1.38/build/make.log there are error message that seem to indicate
that the VirtualBox code does not match the current kernel version code
In addition to this it reports that my compiler (gcc 11.4.0) does not match the compiler version used to build the kernel (I don't think this is the cause of the problem)
My kernel version is 6.5.0-14
VirtualBox version: 6.1.38

Is my conclusion correct that the virtualbox-dkms package should have been updated to support the current kernel ?
If so, should I just wait a couple of days until the package is update or attempt to install virtualbox from source ?
Thanks!
Last edited by JohanHarmsen on Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
harry_fine
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Unable to install VirtualBox on Mint 21.3

Post by harry_fine »

I use the 6.5 kernel. Virtualbox stopped working once I upgraded the kernel.

Most in the know say to ONLY install virtualbox from the oracle site. That's what I've always done and it's always worked. Purged the current version.
Then got the newest 7.0.12 files.

Get the extension pack and guest additions for matching versions also. The easiest place to get all 3 (the guest additions is sort of hidden on their regular page) is here: https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/7.0.12/

It will work like a charm.
JohanHarmsen
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Unable to install VirtualBox on Mint 21.3 {Solved]

Post by JohanHarmsen »

Yes indeed works like a charm, Thanks!
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Unable to install VirtualBox on Mint 21.3 [Solved]

Post by linux-rox »

For others, be aware it's probably essential to install the current version at this point, as VBox 6.1 went out-of-support in December.
ronsmeyer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ronsmeyer »

There's a Virtual Box repository for the Oracle version. As soon as a new version is posted on the VBox website, it appears in Update Manager. I've used this for years.

Code: Select all

deb [arch=amd64] http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian jammy contrib
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Moderator note: dudesplace's issue can now be found here Installing Virtualbox 7.0 crashes VB Mint 21.3 because new issues should not be added to someone else's SOLVED topic.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Virtual Machines”