Flatpak - "Wrong size for extra data" on LMDE 6 (Faye)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Danchana
Level 1
Level 1

Flatpak - "Wrong size for extra data" on LMDE 6 (Faye)

Post by Danchana »

Hi everyone!
I have this problem where for some flatpaks I am able to download them normally, but for some I have this error saying "Wrong size for extra data" (at this moment, only for installing Viber).

I did not have this problem before, but I formatted my PC, and now I only have a problem with the Viber flatpak installer, and I really do not want to "fix" this problem by just simply format my PC again, because I am with limited internet and I cant re-download every program again.

I found this solution on this forum:
viewtopic.php?t=399424
But the solution does not work for me since I use LMDE and it is not supported to add PPAs (at least that is what i read on reddit).

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by SMG on Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to LMDE forum.
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Flatpak - "Wrong size for extra data" on LMDE 6 (Faye)

Post by axisofevil »

If you look at https://www.viber.com/en/download/ you will see that this closed-source Viber thing is only offered for Ubuntu or Fedora.
If it relies on any Ubuntu versions of Debian packages it may not work in LMDE6.

Viber also say:-
Proprietary
This app is not developed in the open, so only its developers know how it works. It may be insecure in ways that are hard to detect, and it may change without oversight.
So you are trying to install some potentially dangerous software.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

@Axis of evil Viber is necessary evil
"Potentially dangerous" is a vague term. Viber can be potentially dangerous the way Whatsapp, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok can be :lol:
Viber is a very popular smartphone app... well... in the Balkans (Greece, Bulgaria, North Macedonia for sure - I heard it is very popular in Ukraine too) and by "very popular" I mean the junk dealer asks you to send them pictures of the junk you want to remove from your place on Viber and your bank offers (almost insists on sending) to send you verification codes on Viber instead of sms etc... and... so... you get the idea... A desktop app is a solace for at least us people who are not adept at typing on smartphones.

@Danchana
Viber officially offers both an appimage and a .deb package. Viber is not a "verified" app on flathup.
Appimage should be OK on Debian Stable/LMDE. Recommended.
Latest .deb package is fully functional on Ubuntu-based distros. On Debian it suffered -at least 6 months ago- from incompatibility with distro's WebRTC libraries. So text messaging and file sharing work but not VoIP.
Danchana
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Danchana »

@MiZoG
Thank you a lot for the advice!!

Return to “Beginner Questions”