How to install newer kernel on LMDE6?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RamBurner
Level 4
Level 4

How to install newer kernel on LMDE6?

Post by RamBurner »

I need to change to 6.2 kernel for the AX101 wireless and bluetooth, but there is no View-kernels in the update manager.
Backports are already installed as a source.
Last edited by RamBurner on Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RamBurner
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to install newer kernel on LMDE6?

Post by RamBurner »

Am I going to have to change to Debian 12 Bookworm Cinnamon to get this?
justhelp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by justhelp »

Code: Select all

apt install -t bookworm-backports linux-image-amd64 linux-headers-amd64
youll get 6.5.3-1~bpo12+1
RamBurner
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RamBurner »

Thank you.
Jolly Roger
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jolly Roger »

Hi RamBurner
---
Possibly you can consider ( XanMod Kernel ) link:

https://xanmod.org/
---
More information in the site ( LinuxCapable ) in the search field enter ( XanMod Kernel ).
---
⚠️
The ( XanMod Kernel ) is updated every 2 weeks.

⚠️
The Update Manager, detects the new version of it and proposes the update.
---
I am using it in my new Dell Pc ( Optiplex 7010 ) with Linux Mint LMDE 6, see screenshot:

https://imgur.com/JZTzWQx
---
Hi.
🇷🇺 🇷🇺 🇷🇺
Linux Mint LMDE 6 / Dell OptiPlex SSF Plus 7010 / Intel Core 13 i7-13700 / SSD NVMe M.2 Seagate FireCuda 530 Heatsink 1TB /
RAM DDR5 16 GB / Intel Raptor Lake-S UHD Graphics 770
Tinkicker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tinkicker »

Jolly Roger wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:47 pm Hi RamBurner
---
Possibly you can consider ( XanMod Kernel )
Excellent suggestion/solution, Jolly Roger. I've dug and dug trying to find a way to install liquorix, and I'm sure it's my lack of skilz but I haven't been able to do it. PPA's and all that. I DO remember getting xanmod installed a long time back on another system though.
Currently running Linux Mint on an Acer E15-575G-57D4, and LMDE6 on a Lenovo T430. Planning on optimizing Mint to boot faster on my Dell Latitude 3189, Acer E11, and Acer C710 Chromebook.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Think twice before installing an unofficial kernel.
You don't install a third-party kernel because someone told you to.
You got to have special reasons.
IMHO there is no reason to install a third-party kernel when you can have a working Debian-made kernel on a debian-based system.

Liquorix and xanmod and other "zen"-type kernel performance advantages are debatable.
Debian "stable" is about stability and predictability.
Debian kernels are supported with bug and security fixes by Debian team while anything else is NOT.
So if you want a newer kernel just because you have relatively recent hardware, install latest debian kernel from backports.
Last edited by MiZoG on Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grndplane
Level 4
Level 4
Location: Sunny California - Where everything cost's twice what it should.

Post by grndplane »

liquorix kernel doesn't get much easier. I have been running them for many years.

curl -s 'https://liquorix.net/install-liquorix.sh' | sudo bash
-grndplane (Mike)
Linux Mint 21.x 64-bit
Kernel: 6.X-liquorix-amd64
WM: LeftWM
Joss
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Joss »

MiZoG wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:20 am So if you want a newer kernel just because you have relatively recent hardware, install latest debian kernel from backports.
This.
RamBurner
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RamBurner »

I'm sticking with the official Debian kernels, right now I'm running 6.5.0-0.deb12.4-amd64 and it runs fantastic on LMDE 6.
Zapruder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zapruder »

I use liquorix. It’s a great kernel. But the stability of the default kernel that debian provides, it’s legendary!
LMdE+liquorix kernel
DeUltima
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DeUltima »

Okay this is going to sound crazy, and I don't encourage anyone else to do this because it's not supported at all. But, what I did was switch my Debian repositories over to the testing branch. Currently it's on kernel 6.6.13 where the backports are on version 6.5.0. I would stick to the backports if you want to be safe, but if you like living on the edge like me you can easily edit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list with your favourite editor and change 'bookworm' to 'testing' for all the Debian apt sources, then comment out the bookworm-backports & bookworm-updates sources. Then do a sudo apt update, sudo apt upgrade, sudo apt full-upgrade, then finish with sudo apt autoremove. Select yes to restarting services, then I went with all the default options on prompts and it went well. You can find more information at: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting

Again, this is not supported at all, so "BEWARE! DRAGONS LURK HERE" It will probably eventually break something on your system, but so far it's been working just fine on my system for awhile now. Not only do I get access to a much newer kernel, but software as well. For example Libre Office recommends against using the version in bookworm and to upgrade asap. Testing takes you up to that recommended version. Another thing I like is the backports only update once in a blue moon, where the testing branch updates much more often, bringing along security fixes in a more timely manor.

Return to “Software & Applications”