minecraft stopped using my nvidia gpu - please help!

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
statanalytica
Level 1
Level 1

minecraft stopped using my nvidia gpu - please help!

Post by statanalytica »

what i've tried so far:

everything in https://askubuntu.com/questions/1108043 ... nvidia-gpu

switching to different drives (not sure how this would have work but i tried it anyway. after all, the above WAS working and the only notable gpu change i could think of at the time was switching from 535 to 545 so obviously switching back from 545 to 535 would have worked, right? right?)

reinstalling driver 535

disabling and reenabling the rule transcribed in https://askubuntu.com/questions/1108043 ... nvidia-gpu

deleting and rewriting the rule transcribed in above

disabling the amdgpu

panicking because that caused linux to not boot

calming down after using rescue mode to undo that (and vowing to never do a fix that requires running mousepad as a sudo ever again)

i'd paste the log but the post becomes too long when i do

also firestorm viewer has this issue too but like out of the two these only one of them is an actual game so guess what im centering my bugfixing around?

edit:
this is a laptop
lsmod | grep -i nvidia returns with

nvidia_uvm 1802240 0 nvidia_drm 94208 4 nvidia_modeset 1314816 3 nvidia_drm nvidia 56786944 114 nvidia_uvm,nvidia_modeset drm_kms_helper 270336 5 drm_display_helper,amdgpu,nvidia_drm drm 761856 27 gpu_sched,drm_kms_helper,drm_suballoc_helper,drm_display_helper,nvidia,drm_buddy,amdgpu,drm_ttm_helper,nvidia_drm,ttm,amdxcp video 73728 2 amdgpu,nvidia_modeset

and grep EE returns with
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: minecraft stopped using my nvidia gpu - please help!

Post by spamegg »

Hello statanalytica welcome to the Forum.
Please share your system info by going to:
Menu/System Reports/System Information/click "Copy"
and pasting it here.
(You can use the command inxi -Fxxxmprz on the Terminal.)
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: minecraft stopped using my nvidia gpu - please help!

Post by SMG »

statanalytica wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:20 am what i've tried so far:

everything in https://askubuntu.com/questions/1108043 ... nvidia-gpu
Welcome to the forum, statanalytica.

I moved your topic from Beginner Questions to the Gaming forum because your issue is with Minecraft and not Linux Mint itself.

Please provide the information requested by spamegg. It is quite likely there is nothing wrong with your Nvidia driver. Often when the driver version is changed the games do not properly recognize the change and removing and reinstalling the game works. I don't know if that will in this case, but once we see your information we can let you know if the driver is showing as loaded.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Gaming”