[SOLVED] Playing Steam games in Linux

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jas
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Playing Steam games in Linux

Post by jas »

Hey all. I'm trying to launch ABZU (64 bit) on Steam but I'm having trouble. I turned on Steam Play/Compatibility/Proton. At most, the game will launch but leave me at a black screen, needing to force quit. I have tried using different versions of Proton but with no progress, some versions of Proton will not launch the game at all. According to ProtonDB, people have had success with playing ABZU. I don't know what I'm missing. I've uninstalled Steam to start over, so break it down and let me know what I should do differently.

[EDIT/UPDATE!] My system info was taking a lot of space, so I've removed it for the sake of making space to outline my solution to the problem.

For reference, originally I'd downloaded Steam via the Software Manager and then enabled Steam compatibility (Open Steam, go into Settings > Compatibility [previously known as Steam Play] > Turn on "Enable Steam Play for supported titles" & "Enable Steam Play for all other titles"). Though this is the suggested course of action, this did not work for me. I uninstalled Steam and started fresh.

If anyone is having a problem launching any games after downloading Steam for Linux, try following these steps:

Part I: Downloading Steam via Terminal. (I suggest doing this in order to get the most updated version of Steam.)
1. Open the terminal and add the Steam repository to your system with the following command:
sudo apt-add-repository -y multiverse

2. Update the package list with the following command:
sudo apt update

3. Install Steam with the following command:
sudo apt install steam
After following these steps, Steam can be opened by running the command "steam" or from the Linux Mint menu.

Part II: Enable Linux Steam Client Beta.
1. Open Steam.
2. Go into Settings > Interface.
3. On the "Interface" tab, find "Client Beta Participation." There should be a dropdown menu with "no beta chosen" as the default option.
4. Select the dropdown menu and select the "Steam Beta Update" option.
5. Once you enable "Steam Beta Update," restart Steam.

Once you restart Steam, your account will be adjusted to use Proton to enable Steam Play for supported titles as well as all other titles. You can check which version of Proton your Steam is using by going into Settings > Compatibility.

I hope this helps anyone who was just as lost and confused as I was. Take care, everyone!
Last edited by jas on Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Playing Steam games in Linux

Post by 1000 »

You're probably writing this because, you believe we can find a magic way.
Maybe, but the probability is low.

I would like to remind you that:

- The main support is where it is possible.
This means that if Proton enables, then Proton can try to fix the problem.
Probably you need give own Proton log to developers https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues?q=ABZU+
Especially since the previous topic was closed because the game worked for someone.

- protondb.com is not an indicator that this game will work for everyone
( Everyone has a different system, different hardware, a different version of Proton )
Bringing all these factors together gives you a better chance.

- Games on Steam usually have the system logo. For Linux this is Steam logo
and "SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS " You can find SteamOS + Linux
ABZU for now, not have this icon.

- Check "SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS" on Steam.

- Check Proton log if you can.

- protondb.com gives a lot of details, maybe you will find common features that will allow them to run the game.

Good luck!
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

General tips
1. A common source of trouble is Ubuntu distro's package called "Steam Installer" (installs steam libs v1.0.0.74) found in Software Manager. There is no way to update steam libs when you install this package.
You should remove it and install Steam via Valve's "deb" installer downloaded from store.steampowered.com. It will install steam libs v1.0.0.79. You will hear "always prefer distro packages". That is generally speaking true. Not true for an application like Steam. You cannot have a base installation of Steam lagging 2 years behind.
2. Don't load Windows games stored in an NTFS/Windows partition on Linux Steam. There are workarounds but they are too complicate for newcomers. Install the Windows games you want to play on Steam Linux into your default steam library inside your home directory at least for a start.

About ABZU
I played ABZU when it came out with my old gtx 750ti (still have it in my "secondary" LMDE system). Game was very taxing on that card and that was on Windows at the time. Now everywhere I looked for comparisons I found that your integrated AMD Vega 8 graphics is by far inferior to a gtx 750ti. Add to this the usual FPS "penalty" of playing a Windows game in Linux. Maybe you won't get the game into a playable state anyway. I hope it has received some patches/optimizations in the meanwhile.
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 1000 »

There is no way to update steam libs when you install this package.
I have mixed feelings.
The main application is in the user directory. ( /home/user/.steam/steam/steam.sh )
And I have the impression that there is no problem with updating their own libraries to run games.
Probably it working like chroot / sandbox.

Additional dependencies can be a problem.
If the latest drivers fix something, then depending on the Linux distribution, sometimes you have to wait for new drivers.
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton ... quirements
Perhaps the requirements also apply to Vulkan drivers.

I have the package installed from the repository because it contains a meta package.
E.g. for i386 architecture. viewtopic.php?p=2429436#p2429436
Once upon a time, maybe I didn't seen any difference.
At least that's the impression I get.

Return to “Gaming”