The linux rabbit hole again

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TitForTat
Level 1
Level 1
Location: Germany - thats where "Lederhosen" and "Bratwurst" is from!

The linux rabbit hole again

Post by TitForTat »

Hi everybody,

just saying hi from Germany, joining the lmde users (soon?!). After dealing with my parents laptop again, I was installing lmde on their T480. I was having a try on a virtual machine first and the experience was so good that I consider changing soon as well myself.

I was using Linux for years in the past, hopping from distro to distro, as it is customary :lol: Using pretty much all of the different major de's, I ended up on tiling window managers.

Well, setting up and ricing my system by editing all the configs is fun but with tiling wm's it is just a bit too much of "a rabbit hole" and it kept me from using the laptop/PC for actual work :D (I could also use that determination and time to learn how to actually code :roll: ) Pure de's like the current Gnome are not my absolute favourite eigther. I think that I like something in between. Mint, seems to give me the "tratitional" de, where I feel most at home but with the right amount of extra features out of the box. I can rice the hell out of it in 5 minutes without having to spend hours in config files. Localization is perfect and there are so many nice gui tools out of the box, that I almost don't have to do anything immediately (don't get me wrong, I feel very comfy in the terminal as well but sometimes gui tools are super useful, if you just want something quick and easy). I can change things slowly over time and don't feel the urge/pressure to set up and configure everything to get my PC to a usable state. In a nutshell "I don't have to do anything but can do everything, just whenever I want to". No other distro was so comfy to use right away (not even Solus, which was pretty good already).

Tbh, I still havn't dismissed Fedora. But I usually use the standard or "flagship" de that comes with a distro. Fedora Cinnamon is not on the same level as on lmde (for obvious reasons) and I don't want to use Gnome. So Mint cements itself as my future distro even more. I still have my MBA M1 (yes I got caught up in that apple silicon hype and unfortunately, I love that it is fanless) but I plan to switch to a Framework 13 (AMD) very soon. Until then, I will observe how well my parents laptop is running with lmde and I further try lmde on my vm.

Enough for now... but one more thing... dear Mint Team, just ditch Ubuntu and make lmde your main distro! Thx! :lol:

Sorry for any grammar mistakes and typo's.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: The linux rabbit hole again

Post by Pjotr »

Willkommen! Klug gewahlt. :wink:

Only one remark: I recommend the flagship edition, Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon, rather than LMDE. It's the flagship for a reason. Why select a Volkswagen, when you can get a Maybach for the same price?
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
TitForTat
Level 1
Level 1
Location: Germany - thats where "Lederhosen" and "Bratwurst" is from!

Post by TitForTat »

Well, you make a good point and I thought about going with Mint 21.3.

For me personally, I don't like where Ubuntu is going right now. I try to stick with an "original" distro most of the time. The last distros I switched between were plain old Arch, OpenSuse Tumbleweed, Solus and Fedora (that was 2 years ago at least). I never felt that "spins" or "forks" of Debian, Fedora, Arch etc. brought enough to the table that it would justify going with them.

Mint takes all the fuss out of setting up a distro and especially in regards to Debian. As I see it: the Maybach makes some weird noises, so I happily take the Volkswagen because that thing gets the job done :D

I remember trying Mint in my very early Linux days and I was not impressed at all. Now, it is so well done that it deserves NOT to be the spin of a spin of Debian but become the "New Ubuntu" instead. Just one less middle man that can make strange decisions and screw one over :D
aybesea
Level 2
Level 2

Post by aybesea »

I couldn't disagree more. I was on Ubuntu Mint for over a decade. I'm now on LMDE 6. There is no comparison. LMDE is simply stunning.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the Linux Mint forum,
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Introduce Yourself”