Linux Mint 8 Main Edition - CD/DVD Cover

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
EldiS

Linux Mint 8 Main Edition - CD/DVD Cover

Post by EldiS »

So, as the previous (KDE edition cover) one, you can download this main Helena edition DVD Cover on my DA profile... Get it here:

http://eldis82.deviantart.com/art/Linux ... -154487792
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Superewza

Re: Linux Mint 8 Main Edition - DVD Cover

Post by Superewza »

Nice, think i prefer the KDE one though. Since these are covers don't they have to be the same size?
rich_roast

Re: Linux Mint 8 main Edition - DVD Cover

Post by rich_roast »

That's some sweet art work. Well done, indeed.

The linguist in me has a couple of niggles about the System Requirements text:

First, using the passive in the first statement sounds a bit goofy. It's not wrong, but it's an unusual use of the passive form. There's no reason not to lose the preterite entirely and just state "4GB disk space and 256MB physical RAM".

You need infinitive+ing form after "we recommend", i.e. "we recommend having" instead of *"we recommend to have", or better yet just leave out the second preterite, it's unnecessary. Just "we recommend at least...", or go the same route as before (which is perfectly fine) and state "Recommended system requirements: <xxx>"

The Mint niggler in me noted that you're referring to a DVD; where Mint standard edition fits nicely on a CD - I wonder if this is intentional? Mint Universal, OTOH, needs a DVD.
EldiS

Post by EldiS »

Superewza wrote:Nice, think i prefer the KDE one though. Since these are covers don't they have to be the same size?
Well, they ARE the same size, only previews are in different size... :) When you download it you will get the same covers, at 2380x1600 size. Cheers.
EldiS

Re: Linux Mint 8 main Edition - DVD Cover

Post by EldiS »

rich_roast wrote:That's some sweet art work. Well done, indeed.

The linguist in me has a couple of niggles about the System Requirements text:

First, using the passive in the first statement sounds a bit goofy. It's not wrong, but it's an unusual use of the passive form. There's no reason not to lose the preterite entirely and just state "4GB disk space and 256MB physical RAM".

You need infinitive+ing form after "we recommend", i.e. "we recommend having" instead of *"we recommend to have", or better yet just leave out the second preterite, it's unnecessary. Just "we recommend at least...", or go the same route as before (which is perfectly fine) and state "Recommended system requirements: <xxx>"

The Mint niggler in me noted that you're referring to a DVD; where Mint standard edition fits nicely on a CD - I wonder if this is intentional? Mint Universal, OTOH, needs a DVD.
About the linguistic perfection in cover text, I must say that it's not my text (and English is not my mother language)... It's text from official Helena release notes and other info, and if there's something wrong with it, then it's wrong on covers too...

Secondly, about CD or DVD stuff... I KNOW that main edition can nicely fit standard CD, but how many of us are actually burning ISO files on CDs? Why would we? Just don't tell me that it's because a CD is more cheaper. :) DVD is safer, faster, and not that expensive, you know... I know that I'm burning all kind of ISO files on DVDs, no matter Linux, Windows or something else...
Anyway I have this covers in PSD files, so I can modify them any time...

Cheers...
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

Noted about the text, I just spotted the errors (and they're far from serious - just stylistic quibbles really) and felt they should be pointed out when the rest of the design is so polished. Language is always up for discussion so if the original is felt to be correct so be it (although I'm fairly confident my statement's aren't wrong).

I for one burn to CD principally because I do not have a DVD burner on this old laptop. I am nigh-certain that an albeit minority are in the same position. I would have to use unetbootin to create a USB install for DVD sized media, which is optimum for speed but a bit of a pain since I prefer my USB sticks to be used for data than installation media. As to reliability, I have never once known a CD burn to be corrupt where the score for DVDs, since my Fedora days, is about 3:2.
EldiS

Post by EldiS »

Nevermind, I will add CD versions of this cover, later or tomorrow...

And would you be nice and suggest me a proper text, so I could change that too... It's few seconds of work, and few minutes for uploading corrected covers. :)
Superewza

Post by Superewza »

I burn to CD because i got a 100 pack for £5, it'l be a while 'till they're all gone...
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

I got the feeling that you'd have all your layers intact so it'd be a quick fix :wink:

(Goes away to load the image again...)

OK, I'm getting away with myself here but I'll suggest it and if you think it's helpful then you can modify appropriately:

Everything is fine except for the rear cover bottom text IMHumbleO.

The links are fine.

The info bit might be confusing to a novice. It mixes in the version of Mint with the versions of all the software that Mint is built upon. Try:
me wrote: Linux Mint 8, codenamed Helena
Based on:
  • Linux 2.6.31
  • Ubuntu 9.10 (codenamed "Karmic Koala")
  • X.Org 7.4
  • Gnome 2.28
The eighth release of Linux Mint features the latest performance, reliability and security that Open Source software has to offer presented in an elegant and easy to use desktop environment.
As to the system requirements bit:
me wrote: System requirements:
Minimum: 4GB hard drive space, 256MB physical RAM
Recommended: 10GB hard drive space, 512MB physical RAM
You could add an optimal for standard; the recommended's here, for a user like me, are actually about minimum.
me wrote: Optimal: 20GB hard drive space, 1GB physical RAM
There's no point getting swamped in 3D requirements, since many users will have the minimums required for desktop effects anyway, and those that don't should find that desktop effects are switched off anyway (I think).

Hope that's of some use. This is all just my little input, please modify/discuss/mock at will.
EldiS

Post by EldiS »

@ rich_roast

Thanks for suggestions... Well, to be honest, I was a bit lazy for modifying this texts and I put them as they are... :)
But ok, I will change this little "issues" later, and I will add CD logo instead DVD ones, for those who burns Helena on a Compact Discs.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

The artwork itself is beautiful! Very professional.
EldiS

Post by EldiS »

Everything is "fixed" now, and CD versions of cover are added to pack. CD versions are the same size as DVD ones, only with CD label instead DVD. So, you will have to pack it in DVD box anyway... :)
rich_roast

Re: Linux Mint 8 Main Edition - CD/DVD Cover

Post by rich_roast »

Just wanted to say again that the artwork is really nice, this is a great job.

As far as the size is concerned I've always thought a full sized jewel case is more appropriate for something as special as Mint, anyway :)
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

Yeah the artwork is really nice if I do say so myself.
EldiS

Post by EldiS »

dlkreations wrote:Yeah the artwork is really nice if I do say so myself.
Hehe, claps to this man's artwork. :)
Without it there would be no covers at all (at least in this form). :)
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

LOL
danacrine

Post by danacrine »

Dude that's awesome! I think that you should put my powered by sticker/image on the cover it would look sweet!
Superewza

Post by Superewza »

Will you be making Mint 9 versions now?
Dupo

Post by Dupo »

Hi,
Superewza wrote:Will you be making Mint 9 versions now?
I'm also interested :wink:

Return to “Your Artwork”