Language Packs

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trevorh
Level 1
Level 1

Language Packs

Post by trevorh »

Hi,

I recently installed a new installation of Linux Mint LMDE V6. I needed to add a Thai language pack to the standard English for the Thai person here, when I went to install the Thai pack there were two versions presented. Not being Thai literate and with the intended user not being available at the time I selected one of the two Thai language packs and installed that, hoping it was correct. All good (I hoped...). However after some use I am advised that the Thai is not correct (there are several versions of Thai spoken in the country and different dialects in different areas).

So, I deselected the Thai pack and reinstalled it again, hoping the same choice would be available so that I could select the alternative package and try that. However, when I got and select to add Thai language again no choice of thai versions is available, and the previously downloaded pack is simply re-added.

I have tried deleting the current Thai pack, then rebooting the system, but same result. The existing Thai version is not downloaded but is instantly reinstated, so the system obviously detects it already has a Thai pack downloaded and simply puts that same one back again.

My question is, how can I completely remove the current Thai package, so that when I go to re-add a Thai language pack I receive the choice of the two versions again and can select & download the second one, or how can I force the system to download the second package and make it available via the Add Language Pack process, so having the choice of either.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, I have done some web trawling but have not found anything specific to my problem. Short of reinstalling the system (which seems extreme) I have run out of ideas, (not being a command line expert). Hindsight (being a great thing) I should have run Timeshift before the first pack was installed, but never expected an issue like this.

Cheers
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Language Packs

Post by Pjotr »

Try if it helps when you do this:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... t.html#ID2
(item 2)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Software & Applications”