1 app per job?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wiab4355

1 app per job?

Post by wiab4355 »

At the moment, I have the usual media programmes supplied with the OS. I just want one for video and one for audio; i was thinking VLC and Audacious. After installing these 2, would it be OK to uninstall the others (GNOME Mplayer, Movie Player, Mplayer Movie Player) without hurting the system?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bobcollard

Re: 1 app per job?

Post by bobcollard »

wiab4355 wrote:At the moment, I have the usual media programmes supplied with the OS. I just want one for video and one for audio; i was thinking VLC and Audacious. After installing these 2, would it be OK to uninstall the others (GNOME Mplayer, Movie Player, Mplayer Movie Player) without hurting the system?
Use Synaptic Package Manager. it will tell you if there are Additional Changes and if there are packages to be removed. Be sure what you are removing has no connection to another package you may need.
wiab4355

Post by wiab4355 »

So, uninstall the apps I don't want, then install the ones I do, or t'other way round
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

wiab4355 wrote:So, uninstall the apps I don't want, then install the ones I do, or t'other way round
Install the ones you do want first. Then if there is a dependency that interferes with that, don't remove the other app.
wiab4355

Post by wiab4355 »

If there is a dependancy that is required from the app I want to uninstall, how will I know??
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

wiab4355 wrote:If there is a dependancy that is required from the app I want to uninstall, how will I know??
You install what you need first, then if there is a dependency for say VLC that you want to keep, and lets say Mplayer has the same dependency, it will ask you if you want to remove VLC. Then you say NO. (Cancel) Many applications use the same dependencies. It is like a reference library, one book will tell you to look up a reference in the Bible, another book will tell you to look it up there too, except in a computer if you take one reference out you have to take the other out too.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Can you uninstall the program that you don't want and then when you install the program that you do want will that not install all of the dependencies that it needs?

Just trying to understand how dependencies work.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Do NOT uninstall gnome-mplayer as doing so will break most of the media capabilities in Firefox. Uninstalling the regular mplayer is completely fine though.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

gibbs1984 wrote:Can you uninstall the program that you don't want and then when you install the program that you do want will that not install all of the dependencies that it needs?

Just trying to understand how dependencies work.
I've tried it that way and it always reinstalls the other program with the dependencies. Don't know why. I guess you can do it either way, I just do it this way. You might search the forum or start a new thread. I see someone else bumped in, does that answer everyone's questions?"
wiab4355

Post by wiab4355 »

Still don't really understand, but thanks to everyone anyway
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

wiab4355 wrote:Still don't really understand, but thanks to everyone anyway
It's quite simple: install what you like, use what you like and unless you run out of disk space, leave well enough alone. If it works, don't fix it. In the mean time read the forums.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Linux used to be much more modular, these days it is becoming bloated due to these dep issues. I don't fully understand why things are the way they are either but I learned from Fedora that it is usually best to NOT try and strip distros. Especially removing Gnome can cause big problems. This is not to say that it is impossible, but you need to have a good idea of what you are doing and what to replace things like GDM with. As Kendall mentions, removing Gnome-mplayer will bork Firefox. Many apps have consequences on other apps.

The best way to strip a distro is to take it totally down then rebuild it. This will likely force you to work in init3 so it is not a job for the weak hearted. Another way is to start with a distro like Arch Linux or Gentoo. I recommend Arch, they have awesome documentation and a wiki that covers everything. I use Arch documentation for most issues no matter the distro. :) Anyway, they have fine directions for building a base Arch install and adding JUST what you want an no more. If you really want to learn about Linux, but still have resources and help available, then this is a good place to do it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”