[SOLVED] Will the latest GNU Emacs ever be available for Mint 21.1?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hex1A4
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Will the latest GNU Emacs ever be available for Mint 21.1?

Post by hex1A4 »

Hello.

On my desktop computer I'm running Linux Mint 21.1 Xfce and I have no intention of upgrading. It's older hardware, and the system works reasonably well with version 21.1 so I'm sticking with it. Anyway, I started using GNU Emacs for web development and would like to have the latest version, preferably from the repos instead of downloading it.

Will the latest version of GNU Emacs ever be available in the Mint 21.1 repositories?

Thank you kindly.
Last edited by hex1A4 on Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Will the latest GNU Emacs ever be available for Mint 21.1?

Post by xenopeek »

hex1A4 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:46 pm Will the latest version of GNU Emacs ever be available in the Mint 21.1 repositories?
The Emacs system package, as available from your APT repositories, will not be upgraded to newer releases. It may only receive security updates.

The Emacs flatpak, as also available through Software Manager from Flathub, is currently at 29.1 https://flathub.org/apps/org.gnu.emacs and will be upgraded to newer stable releases over time. If you need the latest version that is one way to get it.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”