Stayin' Up Too Late

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Stayin' Up Too Late

Post by AZgl1800 »

Unchart3dSandb0x wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:32 am That's good stuff. I didn't think about the 'no spaces' issue. I'm old-school and a lot of my stuff is already that way. I wonder if there's a way to do that in Windows BEFORE I do the backup?
I am from the Other Camp, I use Spaces so that my Filenames are readable w/o having to mess with the Underscore key.... it does NOT interfere with Linux Mint at all.

look at my Folder names, the files are named the same way, in Readable normal sentence structure.

NEMO.jpg
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

AZgl1800 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:20 am
Unchart3dSandb0x wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:32 am That's good stuff. I didn't think about the 'no spaces' issue. I'm old-school and a lot of my stuff is already that way. I wonder if there's a way to do that in Windows BEFORE I do the backup?
I am from the Other Camp, I use Spaces so that my Filenames are readable w/o having to mess with the Underscore key.... it does NOT interfere with Linux Mint at all.

look at my Folder names, the files are named the same way, in Readable normal sentence structure.

NEMO.jpg
I'm from the same camp. 99 and 44/100% of the time, I don't bother using underscores instead of spaces in filenames. One of the rare exceptions is for filenames I may need to use in the terminal. I could use quotation marks around filenames with spaces in them but it's easier for me to remember if I just use the underscore in the filename or no spaces at all. It's been so rare that I needed to use underscores, I can't think of an example. For the names and labels of my drives, I just don't use spaces. An example is I use Data1 instead of Data 1.

I suspect the need for underscores for spaces is an anachronism from the earlier days of programming.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Same approach as Jeannie, if I know I'll be manipulating the file/folder in a terminal, NO spaces, anything else then human readable. I also datestamp my files, e.g. 20240222-my file.txt, an old habit.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

AndyMH wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:30 am Same approach as Jeannie, if I know I'll be manipulating the file/folder in a terminal, NO spaces, anything else then human readable. I also datestamp my files, e.g. 20240222-my file.txt, an old habit.
when I DateStamp, I do the same as AndyMH
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I have to say that I must not be held up as an example of how to organise/name files. If I look at the content/structure of home it is a shambles. Tidying up is always a tomorrow job. This home dates back to LM17, it is on a separate partition.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I've been a night owl all my life. Some people just don't understand this. "What's the problem? You wake up in the morning and get up." They just assume I'm a lazy so and so. It's NOT that simple! For me, mornings are usually like dredging one's self out of a sticky swamp then drinking a gallon of coffee to try and clear the brain fog.
AndyMH wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:30 am I also datestamp my files, e.g. 20240222-my file.txt, an old habit.
Same here. I wish everyone would write dates this way, since it's often impossible to tell if it's the eleventh of October or the November of tenth. So to speak. :roll: :mrgreen:
rickNS wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:33 pm and run this command;
for file in *; do mv "$file" "$(echo $file | tr ' ' '_')" ; done
Thanks for posting that command rickNS! At least that one makes sense to me, unlike some of the convoluted ones I see.
I do a lot (probably most) of my file management in the Terminal and find those pesky spaces a bit of a pain where it ain't wanted .. :wink:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

AndyMH wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:30 am Same approach as Jeannie, if I know I'll be manipulating the file/folder in a terminal, NO spaces, anything else then human readable. I also datestamp my files, e.g. 20240222-my file.txt, an old habit.
This is getting a bit scary; I often also date stamp files for sorting purposes as well as to know when they were created. Are we channeling each other? :wink:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!

Return to “Open Chat”