LMDE6 installer auto changing interface language

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Chimaera
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE6 installer auto changing interface language

Post by Chimaera »

How do I force the LMDE6 live installer to use English for the user interfaces and not the auto detected locale?

Double clicking on the installer icon on the desktop opens the installer in a language that I cannot read.
I need to change it back to english.
How do I change it?
cbeugene
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE6 installer auto changing interface language

Post by cbeugene »

Same problem here. Yes, I am in Germany, but it does not mean that I am reading or speaking German language. Live CD has “English, United states” locale after boot, but installer shows everything in German. Can this be done with option, like “We’ve detected that you are in Germany, do you want to switch to German?”.
“Funny”, It is first time I decided to give a try to Linux to stop using Windows. And now this: live CD is working perfectly fine but I can not install because of a language switching. I am concerned what will be next obstacle :-(

P.S. I was able to install Mint after translating the first screen with smartphone app, and the second screen was “choose your language” where I was able to choose English. I was just confused with the first screen of installer app because it was literally first time I install Linux Mint.
So it is a corner case when absolutely new user is trying to install Linux Mint on a computer connected to network in foreign country.

Best regards,
Cbeugene.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Unknown to you language appears just on the initial window, press the button you cannot miss in the center of the welcoming screen to go on and in the very next screen you get to select the language you wish. It is not that biggie. Or is it? Installer picks up a non-English interface I bet from your IP. Start the installer while your pc is off-line. Connect to network after launching the installer.
cbeugene
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cbeugene »

MiZoG wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:07 pm Unknown to you language appears just on the initial window, press the button you cannot miss in the center of the welcoming screen to go on and in the very next screen you get to select the language you wish. It is not that biggie. Or is it? Installer picks up a non-English interface I bet from your IP. Start the installer while your pc is off-line. Connect to network after launching the installer.
It turned out that it was not a big problem, but I literally saw this installer for the first time, so I assumed that the whole installation process would be in this language. And because of that I just did not even tried to click “Los gehts” button.
Then I was thinking if I even want to continue with Mint or go search for another distro for newbies, but curiosity prevailed so I grabbed my phone with “google translate” and translated the first screen. Second screen immediately brought me the linguistic relief :D

Best regards,
Cbeugene.

Return to “Installation & Boot”