Installing DCS on a different drive

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
leafback
Level 1
Level 1

Installing DCS on a different drive

Post by leafback »

So my intent here is to install DCS on my SSD, not my HDD. I'm still relatively new with Linux and I'm not sure what my options are.

My system is set up so that root is on the SSD and home is on an HDD. I set it up this way because I want all non-essential apps and data on my larger HDD, which can reserve room for resource hogs and games to be on my SSD. This has worked pretty well so far, especially with Steam allowing me to install onto the SSD with just a click for games like Balder's by Cyberpunk.

My problem is with installing DCS. I've tried two methods, both with Lutris.

The first method I tried was to download the DCS open beta .exe from their site and use Lutris to install it. Setting Lutris to install DCS on my SSD fails pretty early on with an error saying "Database is locked". I tried several more times before realizing that it installs perfectly fine using default settings, which would then place it on the HDD.

The second method I tried is when I found I can install it directly from Lutris' website using the app, without needed to bother with the .exe. However, it has a known stating: "- Installation cannot be silent. Please keep the default installation location as it is required for the script."

Do I have any options here, or any other things I should try?
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Installing DCS on a different drive

Post by 1000 »

1. Make sure your library/folder has appropriate permissions (the same)
chmod and chown .

2. You probably have Lutris support also on the Lutris forum.
( I don't have it installed )
leafback
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leafback »

Ah! Definitely should have posted this on a Lutris-centric thing. Yeah. Thanks for the correction.
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 1000 »

I don't know if you found a solution.
I think it's a configuration issue and your problem is already solved.
If not, think about two things, maybe three.

- Check if the path is always the same.
It depends on how you mount the disk/ hard drive. ( I used /etc/fstab )

- If it's ntfs, it may require additional permissions.
## you change your number UUID and you remove the comment at the beginning of the line " # "

Code: Select all

# UUID=1DF1123492wd21344 /mnt/ntfs1 ntfs-3g defaults,noatime,exec,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 1
However, I don't think it's the permissions because you wrote that Steam games work.

- Try create symbolic link to folder with game on SSD. Maybe the game will think it's in the right place.

Return to “Gaming”