Wipe Ailing SSD before Return of it?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Wipe Ailing SSD before Return of it?

Post by wutsinterweb »

Recently I came here for advice on a 2 year old SSD that croaked on me. It's under a 3 year warranty, it's a Team Group Drive. Is there a way to wipe it before returning to the manufacturer in Mint?

I've read horror stories of how people's drives end up in bad hands in places such as North Africa after people claiming warranty on them.
Last edited by wutsinterweb on Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Wipe Ailing DVD before Return of it?

Post by wutsinterweb »

Should I try blkdiscard?

Also, how do I interpret the read/write data?
I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

blkdiscard won't run on it.
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

I tried this, no go:

Code: Select all

sudo blkdiscard --secure -v -f  /dev/sde
blkdiscard: Operation forced, data will be lost!
blkdiscard: /dev/sde: BLKSECDISCARD ioctl failed: Operation not supported
And I tried this, no go also:

Code: Select all

~$ sudo hdparm --user-master u --security-erase PasSWorD /dev/sde
security_password: "PasSWorD"

/dev/sde:
 Issuing SECURITY_ERASE command, password="PasSWorD", user=user
ERASE_PREPARE: Invalid argument
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

you could just use the Gparted program,
to erase all the partitions on that SSD,

then re-create an New Set of partitions - several, in fact,
before erasing them, as well.
and finally, create just the single partition, to be left on the drive.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, wutsinterweb.
Why does the title of this thread mention "DVD", although the question seems to be about "SSD" ?
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Wipe Ailing SSD before Return of it?

Post by wutsinterweb »

OOPS! Brain fart. The drive is no longer seen on Gparted, but I did manage to wipe partitions and make them one time.
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Wipe Ailing SSD before Return of it?

Post by ThaCrip »

'Secure Erase' is preferred as it's more of the proper way to wipe SSD/HDD, which you can do using hdparm etc.

because on my Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD it only takes maybe a couple of seconds to complete because from what I read it's not actually overwriting the entire drive but simply changing the drives internal encryption key to something else, so it's sort of a equivalent to wiping the drive. because doing a 'Secure Erase' on a regular HDD, takes hours depending on the size of it.

but when I do it on my Samsung SSD, or even HDD's for that matter, they have to be in a 'not frozen' state etc. which when using my old PC (motherboard is ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe which is a high end 2005 tech, which I had since March 2006) requires removing power from the drive while it's on at a certain point and then plugging it back in etc. there is a guide I used to do it as I can't recall the exact steps but it would not be too difficult for me to find as I think I wrote it down somewhere on the precise process to do.

but since the OP said his SSD was dying it might be difficult to do much with it in it's current state.

p.s. to use hdparm I suggest booting from a bootable Mint USB stick.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce

Return to “Storage”