Intel graphics card problems

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kent a

Intel graphics card problems

Post by kent a »

I just installed Mint 8 Helena on my 2 year old LG E500

The graphics do not work quite optimal because there is no driver to run it properly.

A little info on my computer ..

No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: LinuxMint
Description: Linux Mint 8 Helena - Main Edition
Release: 8
Codename: helena
Linux kent-lene-laptop 2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:04:26 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f3)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA IDE Controller (rev 03)
01:04.0 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ711SP1 Memory CardBus Controller (rev 01)
01:04.2 SD Host controller: O2 Micro, Inc. Integrated MMC/SD Controller (rev 02)
01:04.3 Mass storage controller: O2 Micro, Inc. Integrated MS/xD Controller (rev 01)
01:04.4 FireWire (IEEE 1394): O2 Micro, Inc. Firewire (IEEE 1394) (rev 02)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter (rev ff)
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 01)

What should I do to get it to run just a little bit fair

I am from Denmark and the text here is a google translation
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Intel graphics card problems

Post by remoulder »

See here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582 for intel graphics issues
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
kent a

Post by kent a »

I've tried to put the first code into the terminal but it comes up with this answer

kent-lene@kent-lene-laptop ~ $ $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
$: command not found
kent-lene@kent-lene-laptop ~ $
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

kent a wrote:I've tried to put the first code into the terminal
Sorry was at work when I wrote that and it was just a quick reply. I should have explained that the thread was written for the previous version of ubuntu so some of the things won't work in the current version which is what you are running. It was intended to give a feel for the issues and some possible workarounds for the poor performance of the intel drivers. You can install the PPA to try and get updates but there's no guarantee this will help.

In helena(ubuntu karmic) there is no xorg.conf in /etc/X11 by default. If you have one, you could try renaming it and restarting to see if things improve. To do this type (in a terminal)

Code: Select all

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
You should also check you are running the intel driver inxi -G and not the vesa driver

You can also try turning off or reducing Visula Effects on the Appearance | Visual Effects tab.

Hope these help. Unfortunately the older Intel onboard graphics chipsets aren't ever going to offer very good performance.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
kent a

Post by kent a »

If I run the code that comes with this answer

kent-lene@kent-lene-laptop ~ $ sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bakmv: kan ikke udføre stat() '/etc/X11/xorg.conf': No such file or directory
kent-lene@kent-lene-laptop ~ $

I am not asking this quite wild with my graphics card .. Just it can play some old games like Super Mario.

I have turned off graphical effects
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

kent a wrote:sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bakmv: kan ikke udføre stat() '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'
Is this a mistake or did you enter it twice? You may well get the file not found if you don't have an xorg.conf which is normal.

Check which driver as I mentioned.

kent a

Post by kent a »

That is the answer it comes up with if I run the code in the terminal you posted up above

One can easily misunderstand each other when there is a google translation in over ...

There is just not some of the Danish linux forum can help me with this problem.

I am a beginner in linux.

I went from Windows XP to Ubuntu 9.10 and to mint 8

I think that mint 8 seems more integrated than Ubuntu.

How do I find out what driver I run ..

If I open Synaptic and search on respectively inxi-G and vesa
I can see that they are both installed on my computer
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

kent a wrote:How do I find out what driver I run
You just need to type

inxi -G
in a terminal

Yes the translations can be difficult, sorry I don't speak Danish.

kent a

Post by kent a »

The terminal comes with this answer

Graphics:  Card Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller X.Org 1.6.4 Res: 1280x800@59.9hz 
           GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel 965GM GEM 20090712 2009Q2 RC3 x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.6
You need not apologize for that you can not speak Danish ..
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

You are using the correct drivers so other than the suggestions in the thread I gave you, there is very little you can do. FWIW other users are having the same issues, see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1362903. Sorry can't really be of more help. :(
kent a wrote:You need not apologize for that you can not speak Danish ..
Guess I was apologizing to myself :?

kent a

Post by kent a »

It was weary ...

I had just got it to run well at an event on Ubuntu 9.10

I would play a movie I ladle had recorded on my camcorder Mplayer asked for an update so I downloaded it and everything went perfect ...

Return to “Hardware Support”