Download and install Nvidia driver from website or wait for a newer package?

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DenalB
Level 1
Level 1

Download and install Nvidia driver from website or wait for a newer package?

Post by DenalB »

I'm using LMDE 6 and installed Nvidia driver version 525.125.06 from Debian repository. On Nvidia website, there is version 535.113.01 available for download.

Now I'm just wondering if it would be a good idea to manually download and install Nvidia driver from website to get the newest driver available.

I know that I have to reinstall the Nvidia driver if there was a newer Linux kernel installed. Does this make sense? Or should I wait for a newer driver package in Debian repository? What is your opinion?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
stevengarland
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Download and install Nvidia driver from website or wait for a newer package?

Post by stevengarland »

I suggest you stick with the drivers offered under Menu - Drivers. Download from there.
Keep It Simple Sweetheart
DenalB
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Download and install Nvidia driver from website or wait for a newer package?

Post by DenalB »

Thanks! 😉
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

stevengarland wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:18 am I suggest you stick with the drivers offered under Menu - Drivers. Download from there.
LMDE does not have Driver Manager. Driver Manager app is only available for Linux Mint based on Ubuntu.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
DenalB
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DenalB »

SMG wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:48 pm LMDE does not have Driver Manager.
That's correct. I installed the latest driver in Terminal with "sudo apt install nvidia-driver".
bluemax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bluemax »

SMG wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:48 pm
stevengarland wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:18 am I suggest you stick with the drivers offered under Menu - Drivers. Download from there.
LMDE does not have Driver Manager. Driver Manager app is only available for Linux Mint based on Ubuntu.
NO driver manager. Just period?
I would love to install the nvidia driver.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

bluemax wrote: would love to install the nvidia driver.
What DenalB did. Open a terminal, type sudo apt install nvidia-driver and press "enter".
Or launch "Synaptic" from the menu, search for "nvidia-driver" and mark for installation.
bluemax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bluemax »

MiZoG wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:53 pm
bluemax wrote: would love to install the nvidia driver.
What DenalB did. Open a terminal, type sudo apt install nvidia-driver and press "enter".
Or launch "Synaptic" from the menu, search for "nvidia-driver" and mark for installation.
Thanks.
AndreyBear
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AndreyBear »

Regarding this topic. Shouldnt we use installation instuctions from Debian wiki?
Debian 12 "Bookworm"

Version 525.105.17
For support of GeForce 600 series and newer GPUs (supported devices). For older devices, you must use nouveau, which should be already installed and in use.

Add "contrib", "non-free" and "non-free-firmware" components to /etc/apt/sources.list, for example:

# Debian Bookworm
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bookworm main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
Update the list of available packages, then we can install the nvidia-driver package, plus the necessary firmware:

# apt update
# apt install nvidia-driver firmware-misc-nonfree
DKMS will build the nvidia module for your system, via the nvidia-kernel-dkms package.
leopenz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leopenz »

AndreyBear I also wonder that. Can anyone help?
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

contrib and non-free are enabled out of the box in LMDE unlike Debian Vanilla

firmware-misc-nonfree was always there both in LMDE5 and LMDE6. Dunno if pre-installed or automatically pulled by nvidia-driver.
You don't have to install it or explicitly select it for installation.

So things are simple as this: sudo apt install nvidia-driver

Also Debian wiki is not accurately and constantly updated like Arch Wiki for example to reflect all changes to base-system.
That doesn't meat instructions for installing nvidia-driver are inaccurate.
There are just a couple of superfluous steps in that wiki at least with regard to LMDE.
bluemax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bluemax »

when i going to install the nvidia driver by using synaptic, a lot of 32 bits packages going to be installed.

I mean, come on... 32 bits packages on a 64 bits gamers laptop????????
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

nvidia 32bit libs are necessary for Steam and 32bit games running via Wine mostly.

Return to “Hardware Support”