Shut down button disappeared after update [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MLMF
Level 1
Level 1

Shut down button disappeared after update [SOLVED]

Post by MLMF »

I run Linux Mint 21 with both MATE and Cinnamon DE:s on an quite old Intel i5 with Asus mb from 2013. 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD. Anyway, last week I run my updates. All but one did go through. A Firefox update crashed. Tried it again and everything hung up. Did a hard shut down and restarted. Everything worked as expected until I was going to shut down the system. There where no shut down button in the shut down menu?. At the moment I was in Cinnamon and since I do tend to have some more bugs in Cinnamon than I have in MATE I thought the problem was in the DE. Switched to MATE but the shut down button in the shut down menu was gone even there. Did turn the system of with shutdown command in terminal.

Spend some evenings searching for a solution or at least an explanation. There where several "work arounds" but I wanted to fix the problem permanently. Just as I was prepared for a clean reinstall of the system I thumbled over this article: https://andresilva.me/articles/linux-mi ... e-solution
Woth a try, so I looked in the folder pointed as include a file needed to be removed. Could'nt see any. Ok, but since I'm not a very experienced Linux user I thought that I could try the last command anyway:

Code: Select all

sudo rm /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/90-mandatory.d/99-mintupdate-temporary.pkla
Run the command, entered my password and no protests from the OS about trying to erase nonexisting files. Opened the shut down menu and look! The shut down button was back.

Because I ran over this article when following a link in a comment for a similar problem that wasn't marked as solved I thought I should describe my problem and how this helped me. If I'm doing this the wrong way I appologise.
Last edited by MLMF on Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Main Linux PC: Asus P8H77, Intel i5 3570, 16GB RAM, Radeon RX570, 120GB SSD + >2TB HHD
MLMF
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Shut down button disapeared after update

Post by MLMF »

Ok, my plan was to mark this as "SOLVED" now but I can't figure out how? Is there some moderator that needs to do that or what am I missing?
Main Linux PC: Asus P8H77, Intel i5 3570, 16GB RAM, Radeon RX570, 120GB SSD + >2TB HHD
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Go to your first post and click the edit button (pencil icon). Then add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the subject line.
MLMF
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MLMF »

Schultz wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:59 pm Go to your first post and click the edit button (pencil icon). Then add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the subject line.
Thanks

Return to “MATE”