Looking for directions to set up UPS

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
OunceofCommonSense
Level 5
Level 5

Looking for directions to set up UPS

Post by OunceofCommonSense »

Is there a good tutorial on how to set up NUT for a UPS?
MB: Gigabyte model: B650M AORUS ELITE AX Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 32.00 GB. CPU Ryzen7600x Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Linux Mint 21.2
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Looking for directions to set up UPS

Post by AndyMH »

For those who think nuts grow on trees:
https://networkupstools.org/
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
KMD2023
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KMD2023 »

OunceofCommonSense,

If you haven't made your UPS purchase yet, I can recommend that you get a true Sine Wave type as they are most reliable and capable. Where I live, the power goes out very often and has surges but my ups takes good care of me. Most of the UPS you see on the big box store shelves are 'simulated sine wave' or 'digital' and they can be a pain as they do not correctly handle surges or voltage drops.

I am at work and can't recall the model I have but it was only about $60 over the cost of the 'simulated' type and I can replace the batteries myself if the time comes. I've had it 4 years now and am glad I got a 'real' one.

For how to use NUT, the link AndyMH gave is a good one and I am reading up on it now.

Cheers!
KMD2023
NW USA
Linux Hobbyist - Made the full switch Mar 2023
- "Backups are your friend, and Timeshift is a friend with benefits!"
OunceofCommonSense
Level 5
Level 5

Post by OunceofCommonSense »

KMD2023 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:49 pm OunceofCommonSense,

If you haven't made your UPS purchase yet, I can recommend that you get a true Sine Wave type as they are most reliable and capable. Where I live, the power goes out very often and has surges but my ups takes good care of me. Most of the UPS you see on the big box store shelves are 'simulated sine wave' or 'digital' and they can be a pain as they do not correctly handle surges or voltage drops.

I am at work and can't recall the model I have but it was only about $60 over the cost of the 'simulated' type and I can replace the batteries myself if the time comes. I've had it 4 years now and am glad I got a 'real' one.

For how to use NUT, the link AndyMH gave is a good one and I am reading up on it now.

Cheers!
Yes I think I bought a real sine wave model. Eaton S5 700
EDIT: I guess I am wrong it is simulated SINE
MB: Gigabyte model: B650M AORUS ELITE AX Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 32.00 GB. CPU Ryzen7600x Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Linux Mint 21.2
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Mine is a powerwalker 2200, not pure sine wave. Now 7 years old. Had to replace the batteries about a year ago. For monitoring it is plugged into the back of my synology NAS so no need for NUTS. We get a lot of outages, most 2-3 seconds, some +12 hours. It has coped admirably and supports NAS, router, various switches and cameras.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Tutorials”