[solved] LMDE 7

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Re: LMDE 7

Post by TaterChip »

soulstenance wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:53 am
TaterChip wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:17 pmIt was a fresh install. I have tried twice to repair my computer with timeshift and it failed both times. And I ended up having to do a fresh install. I don't even have it set up now.
Wow, you just can't win it seems. :cry:

I don't know what issue you were trying to resolve with Timeshift but any time I've had a bad update or broken the system myself with tinkering, TImeshift has succeeded 100% of the time, usually in mere minutes. Might have a bad hard drive either as your system or backup destination, I can't think why else Timeshift would fail under normal use. Timeshift does a file for file backup, not byte for byte, which isn't ideal, since it can't fix a broken partition or filesystem for example. But outside of that it should do the job.
The first time I screwed up my display, when I closed my laptop lid, I had the same size display on a 27 inch external monitor. TS failed and I had to do a fresh install.

second time was when I wanted to roll back thunderbird 115
soulstenance
Level 2
Level 2

Post by soulstenance »

TaterChip wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:17 amThe first time I screwed up my display, when I closed my laptop lid, I had the same size display on a 27 inch external monitor. TS failed and I had to do a fresh install.

That is a head scratcher for sure! Are you on pretty new or niche hardware? That is wild! It should have definitely worked to roll back Thunderbird. And closing your laptop lid shouldn't have broken anything in the first place! My impression is, whatever system you're using is a rare case of poor Linux support, either because of bespoke, or very recent hardware. Or something is broken...

I hate to say it but you might actually have better luck on something more bleeding edge like Fedora or maybe even Arch (though the latter is quite a lot of tinkering and can break - I don't recommend it). Alternatively using the Edge ISO of Linux Mint might be better as it ships a newer kernel to support newer hardware.
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

soulstenance wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:15 pm
TaterChip wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:17 amThe first time I screwed up my display, when I closed my laptop lid, I had the same size display on a 27 inch external monitor. TS failed and I had to do a fresh install.

That is a head scratcher for sure! Are you on pretty new or niche hardware? That is wild! It should have definitely worked to roll back Thunderbird. And closing your laptop lid shouldn't have broken anything in the first place! My impression is, whatever system you're using is a rare case of poor Linux support, either because of bespoke, or very recent hardware. Or something is broken...

I hate to say it but you might actually have better luck on something more bleeding edge like Fedora or maybe even Arch (though the latter is quite a lot of tinkering and can break - I don't recommend it). Alternatively using the Edge ISO of Linux Mint might be better as it ships a newer kernel to support newer hardware.
Hardware is a few years old. MSI laptop from 2020, and BenQ 2k monitor from 2020. Closing the lid wouldn't have broken anything... I on the other hand probably did. I was screwing around with the DE. I had hoped timeshift would fix my screw up
soulstenance
Level 2
Level 2

Post by soulstenance »

TaterChip wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:31 pmHardware is a few years old. MSI laptop from 2020, and BenQ 2k monitor from 2020. Closing the lid wouldn't have broken anything... I on the other hand probably did. I was screwing around with the DE. I had hoped timeshift would fix my screw up
Gotcha. That doesn't sound like particularly new hardware so it should work but I'm not familiar with it so can't comment.

That does make more sense but Timeshift should have definitely had your back and it's a bit sus that it didn't. I have relied on Timeshift in similar tinker scenarios and it has never failed me yet. At any rate, hopefully things are going more smoothly for you now!
EstasPerplejo
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [solved] LMDE 7

Post by EstasPerplejo »

Well, I have been following this topic for quite a while now and I would like share my experience I have had with LMDE 5-6.
I havent noticed any major drawbacks so far and I am quite pleased with LMDE 6 looking forward to 7.
It has become my daily driver on several laptops - no issues whatsoever thus far.
Keep up the good work!

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”