Move to the new house

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Move to the new house

Post by MurphCID »

I NEED this cup:

Last edited by SMG on Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed img tags to rimg tags so link can be clicked.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:41 am I NEED this cup:

LOL! After last night on through this morning, I could use one with that last line! I've seen sick sloths with more motivation than I have right now. My motivation is mostly AWOL and I barely had enough to fix a quick sandwich for lunch just now. :roll:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Now we are having all sorts of weird electrical issues with the house. Lights that should be 60 watts brightness give out 5 watts, and it is moving around the house. Started in my office, and now has moved to the master bathroom. I am waiting on an electrician to show up. This is starting to piss me off badly. The prior owners installed all these uber fancy LED light/fan combos that are remote controlled. But the Master bath should never have issues like this.

Grrrr...
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

those fancy light switches are not Direct Contacts to the power source.

you have high resistance in the switches, I would remove all of them....
the only place I use those, and have three of them,
is as "Plug in switch" that ONLY has a floor lamp connected to it....

so that I can sit in my Recliner, and turn OFF the lights when I get sleepy.

a year or so back, I had a Broadband T-Mobile Gateway that had to be rebooted every few hours, so I installed a KASA brand remote via WiFi switch to it....

bad idea, it did not deliver a solid connection to the Electrical outlet, and I gave up on it....
plugged it into the power outlet direct, and trouble went away.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well, $500 later, replaced two breakers which were getting very hot due to loose wiring, discovered that I only have 20 amps in my office so I can run either the Windows Computer or the Thelio but not both. Also the LED in the light is going bad, and so the whole ceiling fan unit has to be replaced since this model is one complete package. Great. So I am going to get a conventional one, with screw in light bulbs. All the wires are now nice and properly seated, so this issue should not re-occur. I like this company, the guy took his time, explained and showed everything. Even the Spouse-Unit is comfortable with this company.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:57 pm discovered that I only have 20 amps in my office
One advantage of UK wiring standards*. Sockets are on a ring main typically with a 32A breaker and the voltage is 240V. All plugs in the UK are fused, max is 13A so you can pull over 3kW from each socket (obviously you can't have a lot without tripping the breaker).

Side story - back when I was working, water boiler in the office kitchen failed, so secretary put a couple of electric kettles in there so we could make tea/coffee. Unfortunately she plugged both of them into a 4 way extension cable (think you call them powerstrips) which was then plugged into the socket on the wall. Could not understand why they wouldn't work. 2 x 3kW kettles = 25 amps going through a 13A fuse.

* could be urban myth, think the standards were defined in the late 1940s, maybe early 1950s, UK poor. A ring main needs less copper than a star network with every outlet connected back to a central panel, so cheaper.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

The furniture FINALLY arrived yesterday which is good. The light in my office is one of those combo LED/fan units where the light is just one big LED and it is failing, so I am going to have to purchase a traditional ceiling fan with bulbs! Then put LED bulbs in it so I can have some reasonable level of light in my office. I re-arranged things, moving the Thelio to the top of the "L" on the desk and it works better there, and frees up some space.

Return to “Open Chat”