[Solved] Change icon for desktop short-cut

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
IronRod
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved] Change icon for desktop short-cut

Post by IronRod »

On LM Cinnamon, is there a way to change the icon associated with a desktop shortcut? I'd like to do what I was doing on my Windows media server before converting it to LinuxMint -- or something similar. At the bottom is what I see now and what I'd like to see.

On Windows, I could add a short-cut to the browser, change the command to include the URL for the streaming service, and then change the icon to be that of the streaming service. So, instead of an icon of the browser, it would be an icon identifying that streaming service -- like the image at bottom. Currently, I can create a short-cut to the browser on the desktop and can change it's command but I do not see any way to change the icon. It always shows the icon of the browser application.

As one work-around, it seems I could create a new menu item for the browser using the Menu Editor, give it the appropriate command, and select a different icon there. I could then drag that item to the desktop. (Haven't tried this, but seems it might work.) But I'd end up with a whole bunch of new menu items I don't need there as I only need them on the desktop.

Thoughts and recommendations?

What I see now:

What I'd like to see:
Last edited by IronRod on Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Change icon for desktop short-cut

Post by all41 »

try right-clicking the desktop icon and choose properties.
In the window that opens click the current icon--that will allow you to select
a different one.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
IronRod
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Change icon for desktop short-cut

Post by IronRod »

DOH! Thanks for that. Kind of subtle cause, until you mouse over, it doesn't indicate it is even a possibility. Yeah, i know; it's just like the icon in the when creating a menu item via the Menu Editor. Just didn't think of it here. Again, thanks.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”