Execute Permission Issue

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ryu945
Level 3
Level 3

Execute Permission Issue

Post by Ryu945 »

I was moving to Mint Cinnamon. I have used Mint XFCE for years. I was copying my files over from an exFat drive. This is the same thing I have done many times with no issues. This time, I noticed that every file that didn't have a tag ( ex. .txt, .doc, .rtf) was given execute permission. At first I thought this was a bug but I was told by Xenopeek that this is not a bug. Is there any way to stop this as it is not only a security issue but it is also very annoying to have to remove execute permission from every document I have ever made just to open it. Also, all new files transferred over are being given execute permission as well. I asked one person and they were not sure but their thought was that it was a difference between Thunar vs Nemo.
Cin 21.3 64 Bit
According to Keith Chuvala, who manages Space Operations Computing for NASA, "We migrated key functions from Windows to Linux because we needed an operating system that was stable and reliable-one that would give us in-house control.
it-place
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Execute Permission Issue

Post by it-place »

Hi Ryu945,

this is because exFat is a Microsoft filesystem. Whenever you're using filesystems from different OS e.g. NTFS, your Linux has to decide how to translate the ACLs of of file. On my system copying files from exFat to ext4 using the cp command on a terminal will give all files rwxrwxrwx (777) rights on the destination.

So I've created an alias for my zsh called "wcp" (for Win-copy) as a workaround:
wcp='cp -v --no-preserve=mode,ownership'

Using the wcp command will give the file the rights of your local umask and the ownership of your local user. 8)

Regards - Olli
Ryu945
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Ryu945 »

Doesn't that only help if I use commands to copy files? I simply dragged and dropped. Is there any way to fix it so drag and drop doesn't give files the execute permission?
Cin 21.3 64 Bit
According to Keith Chuvala, who manages Space Operations Computing for NASA, "We migrated key functions from Windows to Linux because we needed an operating system that was stable and reliable-one that would give us in-house control.
it-place
Level 3
Level 3

Post by it-place »

In fact it is what I said: a workaround. I couldn't find a setting in Nemo to change the copy behavior, but I found some interesting posts here:
viewtopic.php?p=2069898
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/102 ... wide-umask

Return to “Storage”