[SOLVED] App Display Issues

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Raynold
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] App Display Issues

Post by Raynold »

Hello, I'm running Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon. I have a few apps that aren't displaying correctly. For some reason the apps display 2 sets of close, minimise and resize icons. When I first installed Mint, it was fine. I had changed the theme to Mint y or X at some point and the issue showed up. I changed back to the default theme and the issue persists. Is there any solution to fix this?
Attachments
Screenshot from 2024-03-03 14-31-19.png
Last edited by Raynold on Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
axrusar
Level 7
Level 7

Re: App Display Issues

Post by axrusar »

Create a new user on your system and log in with it. Check if the issue also happens logged in with the new user.
Linux Mint Una Cinnamon 20.3 Kernel: 5.15.x | Quad Core I7 4.2Ghz | 24GB Ram | 1TB NVMe | Intel Graphics
Raynold
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Raynold »

Created a new user and still seeing the same issue...
michael-hi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by michael-hi »

Hello Raynold

I'm guessing that the other apps you are having this problem with are ones like Disks or Document Scanner as they, like Calculator, are Gnome apps which use the Gnome-style header bar in place of a traditional titlebar.

However, you seem to have a titlebar as well, which makes me wonder if you are using something like gtk3-nocsd which adds back the titlebar on Gnome apps. This may give the problem of duplicated buttons and also it may not look very good, especially if the the titlebar and header are the same colour and the theme has rounded corners.

If you do have gtk3-nocsd on your system you can remove it with:

Code: Select all

sudo apt remove gtk3-nocsd
then you may need to logout and back in again.

Otherwise, if it is mainly the Calculator app which concerns you, you could use a different calculator application. For instance the MATE calculator is similar but I don't think it uses the Gnome-style headerbar.
Raynold
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Raynold »

Yes you are right about Disks also having that issue. I executed the remove gtk3 command and it worked for the calculator app but oddly enough, not for the disks app.
Anyway, not a big deal. I will mark as solved unless you have any other options to try.

Thanks!
michael-hi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by michael-hi »

It's strange that it doesn't work for the Disks app also (maybe it will after a full reboot?). I can't think of any more suggestions, to be honest, except of course for the obvious one of experimenting with different themes to see if there might be one which gives a better look.
Raynold
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] App Display Issues

Post by Raynold »

I logged off yesterday with no luck. Restarted PC today and now the 'DISKS' app is displaying correctly. Looks like the re-boot did fix it.

All good now!

Return to “Cinnamon”