HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2778 printer / scanner

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2778 printer / scanner

Post by mintymatrix »

I have an HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2778 printer.

This printer is partially recognised by LM 19.3 32bit XFCE straight from Live boot. Subsequent versions of Mint are not able to recognise it. I tried even with the latest LM 21.2 64bit XFCE, even after trying all suggestion available on several forums, it could not do anything with it.

I wish to know, is it possible to 'extract' the files (that helps the OS recognise that printer) in LM 19.3 and install them in the latest LM ?

mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Re: HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2778 printer / scanner

Post by mintymatrix »

There must be some kind of a driver or something similar that helps 19.3 recognise my printer but seems it is missing in the later versions. Can we extract those files and use them in newer versions of LM ?
panorain
Level 5
Level 5

Post by panorain »

Hi, Linux Mint 19.3 is End Of Life support so do keep this in mind. Have you considered looking into HP, HPLIP driver (I think available in Mint's Synaptic Package Manager) for your HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2778 printer/scanner? Which connections and settings are shown when you login to the CUPS (GUI) via your webbrowser by entering

Code: Select all

localhost:631
How are you wishing/trying to connect the HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2778 (wired/wireless/usb)?

Do you have an OS installed on your machine currently? If your going to be using the machine for a length of time I suggest migrating to a currently supported version of Mint. If you have a second machine can leave 19.3 on it with Advantage 2778 limited capability until work out the details (getting it working) on a newer currently supported version of Mint. Most likely your device will work fairly well with the HPLIP solution. Treat scanning as a separate issue (if problems with scanning after HPLIP installed), make it easier to work out.

-Best Regards
Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria
Always =updatedb=
GNU/LINUX
mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintymatrix »

[quote=panorain post_id=2422465 time=1705992920 user_id=131284]
Hi, Linux Mint 19.3 is End Of Life support so do keep this in mind. Have you considered looking into HP, [b]HPLIP[/b] driver (I think available in Mint's Synaptic Package Manager) for your HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2778 printer/scanner? Which connections and settings are shown when you login to the CUPS (GUI) via your webbrowser by entering [code]localhost:631[/code]
How are you wishing/trying to connect the HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2778 (wired/wireless/usb)?

Do you have an OS installed on your machine currently? If your going to be using the machine for a length of time I suggest migrating to a currently supported version of Mint. If you have a second machine can leave 19.3 on it with Advantage 2778 limited capability until work out the details (getting it working) on a newer currently supported version of Mint. Most likely your device will work fairly well with the [b]HPLIP[/b] solution. Treat scanning as a separate issue (if problems with scanning after HPLIP installed), make it easier to work out.

-Best Regards
[/quote]

Thanks for your reply.
I use LM 21.2 for my daily work. I have to install LM 19.3 just to use the printer and scanner. It is so easy to use that printer with LM 19.3 where as with LM 21.2 it just does not helps in any way. I use HPLIP or not, makes no difference.

I was wondering, there must be some files in LM 19.3 which help it recognise that printer and scanner which for some reason is not there in LM 21.2. If I am able to extract those files and place it in suitable place in LM 21.2, then 'may be' even LM 21.2 might be able to use that printer.

Do you think it might be possible to do that ?

panorain
Level 5
Level 5

Post by panorain »

Are you able to with Linux Mint 21.2 login to the CUPS (GUI) interface by entering

localhost:631
into your webbrowser searchbar? It would help to attach the printer if you can, through wired USB connection initially, to perform this test. The goal would be to see what the CUPS interface is seeing about your printer setup (if it's detecting anything). You should powercycle after connecting the printer to Linux Mint 21.2. Also recheck your settings in HPLIP while doing so there may have been something that has been overlooked concerning the connection. In terminal passing

lpstat -p
can also help provide more clues.

EDIT: 1-24-24 10 A.M CST Sifting trough the HPLIP documentation here: -> https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... -printing/ I am not seeing the HP Deskjet Advantage 2778 listed. I am seeing the 2700 series listed (which most likely includes yours). See as follows:
HP DeskJet Ink Advantage 2700 All-in-One Printer series Min HPLIP Version -> 3.20.5 Yes Yes Full Color Yes No

USB,Network

1. How are you wanting/trying to connect the printer (USB or Wireless)? I do not see that it has a ethernet/wired option.

2. If you are attempting wireless, are you certain that the IP address is within the limits of the allowed modem/router current configuration? I know you did say things work fine with printing in Linux Mint 19.3 already.

3. When you open printer setting on the Linux Mint 19.3 machine what are the connection settings you see displayed that are working for you there? You may be able to take a screenshot and post it back here of this.

4. I do not believe you should have to manually edit configuration (command line - terminal) files to get the HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2778 to work with Linux Mint 21.2 though I may be incorrect in assuming this. You may need to edit your printer configuration through desktop but typically CUPS allows you to do this through it's own (GUI) interface (localhost:631).

5. You can see which HPLIP version is installed on your machine and for lack of a better command (i'm using openSUSE right now) pass this

dpkg -l | less
in terminal and use arrow keys to scroll down or up. This will show you the version numbers and package state of the currently installed packages on the machine (look for CUPS and HPLIP). Also look to the far left of their entries and see if

ii
preceed all information in the single package line displayed. If it does not, what does it display? That means the package is installed and not in another state currently such as

rc
would mean.

EDIT: 1-24-24 1:39 P.M. I found a link that could possibly help also on by Easy Linux Tips Project: https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... nters.html

-Regards
Last edited by panorain on Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria
Always =updatedb=
GNU/LINUX
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

how do you connect this device?

what does

lpinfo -v
give please?
mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintymatrix »

[quote=pdc_2 post_id=2423341 time=1706149157 user_id=22771]
how do you connect this device?

what does [code]lpinfo -v[/code] give please?
[/quote]

Connect through USB

Return to “Printers & Scanners”