Using xfce

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jessejazza
Level 1
Level 1

Using xfce

Post by jessejazza »

I am just about to install LMDE 6 on my PC and would be grateful if someone could advise. During install does one get an option to install xfce or is cinnamon installed by default and then one can install xfce through the package manager.
Last edited by karlchen on Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moved from "Main Edition" to "LMDE Forums"
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Using xfce

Post by karlchen »

LMDE 6 is available with the Cinnamon desktop only. I.e. installing LMDE 6 will automatically install the Cinnamon desktop environment.
As you already rightly guessed, you might add the xfce desktop from the Debian repositories later on.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Cyberbleuet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cyberbleuet »

A good debian distro that comes with the XFCE environment is Mx-Linux.
HP - Ordinateur portable écran UHD 15.6, AMD Ryzen-3 7000 series, Radeon graphics, SSD 500G, 8G Ram, Linux Mint 21.2 cinnamon edge edition (kernel 6.6.1)

Infiniment libre
jessejazza
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jessejazza »

Ok many thx for your posts. I've always used xfce so was thinking of installing it. Is it much different from cinnamon - probably not. As it happens i am trying to decide between LM and MX Linux - both are good distros. Copied my hard drive to remote hard disk so will decide which way to go tomorrow. Thx for quick replies and i appreciate your posts.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Xfce is actually pretty different from Cinnamon. Cinnamon is a lot more modern whereas IMO Xfce is probably the closest thing to Windows 95 in terms of look and feel. I think Xfce would be a pretty good fit for Debian because both of them don't get many feature updates over a distro's life cycle.

I've used MX before but the KDE version. It'd be a pretty good choice. Yes, you could install Xfce in LMDE but that can cause a lot of package conflcts and problem that are very hard to solve.

I also think that if you want to use a particular desktop you should use a distro that actually supports it.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Beginner Questions”