Software recommedation - Plank equivalent for Wayland?

Questions about the experimental Wayland support on Linux Mint Cinnamon
Forum rules
Include your system information for help with troubleshooting. Report reproducible issues related to Wayland, whether for Cinnamon, an XApp, a Mint tool or any Linux Mint maintained software on the dedicated issue tracker. Topics in this forum are automatically closed after 6 months.
Greenwing
Level 1
Level 1

Software recommedation - Plank equivalent for Wayland?

Post by Greenwing »

Hi,

I'm kind of new to LM Cinnamon, so I'm not up to date on the choices available addons, desklets, and software library. (I have spent serious time in the past with Ubuntu though).

I have developed a taste for Plank when running under XOrg. But when I want to test out the experimental Wayland, Plank doesn't work - and this is understandable!

Is there something else available to give me Plank function that will work with both servers? Or am I just up the creek and need to either have patience during development or do I just need to get over it and get on with it?

Thanks!
Last edited by SMG on Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Software & Applications to Cinnamon on Wayland. Added "Plank equivalent for Wayland?" to title.
Bleys
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Software recommedation - Plank equivalent for Wayland?

Post by Bleys »

The grouped window list in the middle of the panel works well for me as a replacement for a dock like Plank.
Window preview, easy to fill and the context menus of the programs are also there.

Ryzen 5 5600G, 16GB RAM, 2TB M.2 Crucial P3, Asrock Deskmeet X300, Samsung Odyssey 49", Linux Mint 21
Greenwing
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Greenwing »

Hi,

I'm going to try this as an option to see how well it works for me. So Thank you!
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Currently I don't believe there is any replacement for Plank currently.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Personally I think if there's a program you really like and it doesn't work with Wayland you should just start an X11 session next time.

I installed Debian 12 Gnome yesterday, replacing Debian 12 KDE. That KDE version unfortunately is too buggy. And unlike with Cinnamon, Wayland in Gnome is not alpha. My default video player (SMPlayer) doesn't work properly with Wayland so I will be booting into an X11 session for the foreseeable future with this release.

I think it's great that Cinnamon is working on Wayland but IMO alpha is for developers. I won't even use beta app software unless absolutely necessarily let alone lower level software.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:15 pm My default video player (SMPlayer) doesn't work properly with Wayland so I will be booting into an X11 session for the foreseeable future with this release.
I've been using Wayland with KDE for quite a while now and was surprised to see that, especially since I just checked and it's using XWayland on my system. I wonder if the latter is the cause of the issue for your setup?

Wayland certainly isn't completely out of the woods yet and there are still issues to iron out, but soon enough I think it will be a good choice for most people.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:15 pm My default video player (SMPlayer) doesn't work properly with Wayland so I will be booting into an X11 session...
On my other OS with KDE Plasma 5.27.10 SMPlayer is working fine (Wayland support option in the SMPlayer settings is ON).
12.png
-=t42=-
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

t42 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:26 am (Wayland support option in the SMPlayer settings is ON)
It is on mine as well. Not sure if this test is 100% certain but I installed xorg-xeyes, ran that with the "eyes" set to keep above other windows and moved the pointer over the smplayer windows; the eyes kept following the mouse pointer, whereas they stopped when over a window running natively in Wayland. :?:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

BG405 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:27 pmxeyes
...same here. I've started tumbleweed not in the XWayland but in the Wayland mode. SMPlayer is not misbehaving, that was the main point, but I guess it should run under XWayland. Didn't look further as using QMPlay under KDE more often.
-=t42=-
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

...still SMPlayer running fine under KDE but if you start it as

Code: Select all

echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
wayland
QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland smplayer
You'll have "something went wrong". But as SMPlayer is a mpv fronted I run

QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland mpv /run/media/mf/DAT/output.2160p.H265.mkv
and mpv is working fine and xeyes on the mpv window are still.
-=t42=-
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

t42 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:43 pm You'll have "something went wrong".
I didn't get that (although I just initially got this, as I already had a running instance and I allow only one):

$ QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland smplayer
This is SMPlayer v. 23.12.0 (revision 10207) running on Linux
  .. I closed the already-open instance then repeated the command; it opened, struggled a bit then played just the audio (without resizing the blank video window) and the eyes didn't move. So I guess it sort of works in Wayland under the linux67 kernel series at least.

SMPlayer © 2006-2023 Ricardo Villalba <ricardo@smplayer.info>

Version: 23.12.0 (revision 10207)
Using Qt 5.15.12 (compiled with Qt 5.15.11)
Using MPV v0.37.0

Links:
Official website: http://www.smplayer.info

SMPlayer is a graphical interface for MPlayer and mpv.
  .. Those poor xeyes don't know what to do on a Wayland session. Eye've left them cross-I'd for now in the corner of the screen. Hopefully there'll be a Wayland version I can spook my mate with at some point. She hates being watched, but is happy to use always-on ay-eye? :shock:

I guess this is the sort of fun one should expect when hovering this close to the bleeding edge! I'm dodging Plasma6 for as long as I can ...

Return to “Cinnamon on Wayland”